Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.
Forum is available in English only.

SearchSearch     

3 seconds or 6 seconds on Mirror

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1Gambler

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: 3 seconds or 6 seconds on Mirror Reply with quote

I understood that subscribing to Mirror allowed the 3 second option to be applied to the snipe; however, after I subscribed, Gixen told me the 6 second option was better and recommended NOT to use the 3 second option. So other than using two servers to bid instead of one, what advantages does Mirror give me?
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: 3 seconds or 6 seconds on Mirror

juangrande

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real advantage of a mirror subscription is that your bid will be sent to eBay from two different servers (one in Chicago and one in Miami). This redundancy means that the chance your bid will not make it to eBay will be nearly zero.

Having a mirror subscription makes it nearly certain that your bid will be placed on eBay.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also having a Mirror subscription allows you to set offsets greater than 6, which for the auctions I take an interest in is an advantage because with it I gain the advantage of both the bid increment rule and the first bid rule to win more often against snipers that are prepared to bid almost the same amount as I am.
Rickajho

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had gixen tell me what to do so I'm not sure where that's coming from regarding "it" telling you not to use a 3 second offset. Use the offset that you want, however you will find several threads in the Support forum about this regarding the pro's and con's of using longer - or shorter - offset times. Personally I'm not convinced paring the offset down to a few seconds matters all that much. Mario added the capability of variable offsets because people kept asking for it but there is no magic behind your choice.

The bottom line is that a short offset will never beat an outstanding proxy bid that is higher than your snipe bid. A high outstanding bid is still going to win if you place your snipe 3 seconds before the auction close or 6 seconds before the auction close. People seem to misunderstand this point - a lot. No matter high money still wins.

The biggest plus of paying for the mirror service is... the mirror service. You are dealing with a timining criticial thing here and as we all know poop happens all over the internet that results in glitches, hung page loads etc. You have two servers now at two different physical locations both placing your snipe bid. If there is a failure for any reason of one of them to do so the other server get through. Mario now reports a mirrored account is 100% reliable.

For the other added features of a mirror account just click on the Home tab. It's all listed there.

Rick
badnell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time ended: 25 Aug 2018 at 6:32:06PM BST
u***0(201) GBP 27.77 25 Aug 2018 at 6:32:01PM BST --
u***0(201) GBP 27.77 25 Aug 2018 at 6:32:01PM BST --
e***l(4712) GBP 27.00 25 Aug 2018 at 6:32:06PM BST --

3 or 6 secs? 2 secs would have been enough here for my win under the bid increment - sweet!
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, badnell ?

Is it that the user with 4712 feedbacks was able to react in 5 seconds, if so I'd disagree that bid was decided well before 5 seconds before the end of the auction.

Or is it that your bid would have been better placed later, if so I disagree again, because if the price had risen to GBP 27 as a result of that other bid coming in earlier than yours then your bid would have been rejected.

So, I'm assuming you are saying that five seconds before the end was perfect for this snipe, as you chose and as worked for you... with which I tend to agree... any offset more than 6 seconds and less than 15 is good for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Impressions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2015 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.