Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

works, just not when you need it

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keenast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: works, just not when you need it Reply with quote

That's the thing, you can't TRUST Gixen to work - as it just happened now, it didn't bother to bid, which, well, which sucks.

Useful for silly things maybe but NOT if you actually want to be SURE.

too bad ;(
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than just generally complaining... please could you tell us which item was not bid on... then things can perhaps be improved.

I'm all for constructive criticism... but this is not the way to go about it.
keenast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... and what was the snipe amount and the Status that Gixen gave the snipe, on both the Main and the Mirror tabs after the auction had completed?
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject:

keenast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my highest bid was 396.66 (I upped that toward the end from 389.00 or so) and the auction ended with $380.00.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you edit the snipe in the last two minutes of the auction?... That can cause this behaviour... when the old value snipe is cancelled but there is not enough time to complete the new value snipe.
keenast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did edit the value. Though my understanding is/was that while the changed amount might be too late to be considered by the software the snipe would nevertheless go through with the older amount. Not so? If not, a clear warning might be a good thing to have.

It also says on top of my logged in page that there's '1 scheduled bid'. I don't understand what that means as I do not have a bid scheduled.
keenast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to attach an image that shows my page but the forum software takes exception with 'www'.
keenast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

address needs www in front, maybe that works.

irisartist.com//Screenshot.jpg
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm afraid that is not so... If you edit a snipe in the last two minutes the old one is deleted and an attempt is made to start a new one... but this is only on a best effort basis... there may not be time for the new snipe to be executed.

You need to be aware of this limitation and not edit snipes that are important to you that late.

The number at the top is just a count of the number of snipes you have active.

I have looked at your screenshot and confirm that is what you will see if the snipe was provided too late for Gixen to be able to execute it, so it definitely looks like your late edit was what messed things up for you... sorry.

Last edited by Cupid on Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
keenast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to learn, BUT this is not made clear - definitely not to me. It should be though.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an extract from the FAQ tab:

Quote:
Can I change my bid after I've entered it in Gixen?

Yes, just click the [Edit] box next to your bid and enter the new amount. Note that clicking the [Edit] box cancels your original bid, so be sure to enter your new bid before logging out.

Note that all edits, deletes and new entries should be completed at least 2 minutes before auction end. In case of late edits, Gixen will make every effort to 1) cancel the edited snipe if already in progress, and 2) execute the updated snipe, but neither is guaranteed to succeed. It is, however, more likely that late delete / cancel will be successful than late addition, so in most cases late edit will result in cancelation only.

keenast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I suggest to simplify all that and put a line right below the snipe page that says, in red possibly: DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES LESS THAN 2 MINUTES BEFORE ENDING.*

*more details in the FAQ

well, that's just me. Thank you for chiming in, really.
sodacracker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. it seemed plenty clear to me. Its just normal practise to read the whole FAQ and quickly check the forums for any gotchas or problems before using a service like this. Worked like a charm for me... although I forgot to group and ended up winning both items.. but hey - now I have an xmas gift all ready to go Smile

Thank you for this great service... almost too easy to use though Smile))
one-way

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keenast wrote:
I'm happy to learn, BUT this is not made clear - definitely not to me. It should be though.

I knew within 5 minutes of my first visit not to mess with snipes two minutes or less from the ending time. It is your responsibility to read the FAQ page thoroughly before using the site. You're the one at fault, not Gixen.
daniela

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand, and every sniping service I've used does it differently. However there is no magic bullet because in some cases we want the new snipe to be sent (and the old one to be deleted later, or left in place) say if we increase our max bid (in that case there is no harm done in submitting the old bid, in fact it wont go through "under asking price"); but sometimes it is the contrary, we want best effort to take care of removing our bid first. Say we found a BIN above current price but below our maxbid.

My opinion: if one is at the computer at -2min or less, then one might as well open a new browser window, log into ebay, wait till the auction is about to close and manually submit another bid without fully trusting Gixen servers.
daniela

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing: I recall this issue came up a while ago in a different shape. Now, after we click "modify", the object background turns a frightening red, lest someone clicks "edit", then decides after all they do not want to modify their max offer, but the offer was deleted from Gixen servers and will never be sent. To me the red is unmistakable, then again I have been using Gixen for years so I am used to it.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daniela, the item is not deleted when you click on "Modify", only when you confirm the changes. At that time the old entry is deleted, and the new one added.
ALWAYSSNIPING

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: ME THINKS - WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS. Reply with quote

PATIENCE TRULY IS A VIRTUE.
AND MARIO CLEARLY HAS IT IN SPADES.
GOT TO BE ONE OF THE MOST RIDICULOUS COMPLAINTS EVER.
IF YOU DON'T READ FAQs AT THE BEGINNING - ZIP IT Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
mobinh

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: ME THINKS - WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS. Reply with quote

ALWAYSSNIPING wrote:
PATIENCE TRULY IS A VIRTUE.
AND MARIO CLEARLY HAS IT IN SPADES.
GOT TO BE ONE OF THE MOST RIDICULOUS COMPLAINTS EVER.
IF YOU DON'T READ FAQs AT THE BEGINNING - ZIP IT Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I agree. I have just set up my first snipe here but I spent about 2 hours reading through the forum and the FAQ before that.

I haven't been here long but this Mario guy really does believe in helping people. Thanks, Mario.
jean-gilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: right-ee-o Reply with quote

one-way wrote:
keenast wrote:

I knew within 5 minutes of my first visit not to mess with snipes two minutes or less from the ending time. It is your responsibility to read the FAQ page thoroughly before using the site. You're the one at fault, not Gixen.

C'mon. Give me a break. Like my mother, except worse. She would NEVER understand Gixen.

Like any other forum where people get on the OP for doing something that 'somehow" they themselves know something about...because they read the FAQ..which actually is not something that EVERY internet user knows about.

Honestly, I kind of figured that I shouldn't mess with snipes less than two minutes from execution, but in general, if ONE person doesn't get something, then a whole lot of other people don't either.

So, if it's not PERFECTLY clear, it's not clear. Period. And it would be nice to NOT have to go check through some FAQing FAQ every time you want to do something.
jean-gilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: right-ee-o Reply with quote

one-way wrote:
keenast wrote:

This is what it says on the sniping page. If this is conclusive evidence that your snipes will NOT be executed if altered, then I've got a bridge to sell you.

"Important note: snipes deleted less than 2 minutes before auction end may still be executed. "
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jean-gilbert, do you have an issue of your own with the site?

You are replying to a two-month old thread. If you had a similar problem please say so, and let me know what the item id is.
ALWAYSSNIPING

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: FRANKLY THIS STINKS Reply with quote

Mmmm sorry to say but I suspect replying to age old threads is just a way to move this silly complaint to to the top of the forum.
Competitors dirty tricks me thinks.
Honestly Mario you would have the blessing of most Gixeners to delete or at least close such impressions.
Exclamation Exclamation
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fact that threads like this are tolerated and not deleted is a positive sign that all views, on sniping and the function of this site, are tolerated here and free speech is accepted as the civilized way to deal with issues.

I believe that encourages some people to contribute that might otherwise hold back.

That said, I think there is a case for locking such threads so that no more can be added to them and that they gradually fall away from view, other than when specifically searched for... any new related complainant is still free to start a new thread on their topic and even refer to the previous one if they so wish.
ckdummy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Frankly this Stinks Reply with quote

Hi
Been using Gixen free for a long time now with no problems
Thought i better do the right thing and subscribe
I set both on 3 secs thinking That would be ok
Item still had 45 mins to go
I watched the dying secs of the auction and price was way under my snipe
and zip happened
think I will be leaving both on 6 secs in future

Totally agree with Cupids post and happy with using Gixen
find it easy to use and I like being able to put a bid on and remove it later if decided it is not wanted or a better item turns up.
KEEP ROLLING GIXEN (with hiccups lol)
dfit4902

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Learning Reply with quote

one-way wrote:
keenast wrote:

It's worked for me perfectly ever time. Win or lose an auction. I have even changed pricing but only edited it... I have done it closer to end time also. Why would one delete an order and enter a new one when it is easier to edit? Haven't been here for a while though.

I read the material a couple times and had a question which was answered promptly before I started using this for things I really wanted. Tried it out on non-necessary things I really didn't need but wanted...

I navigate around myself and learn as I go just like any new site.

I have nothing but props for this site and the efforts put into it. Anyone can get jaded when things don't go their way in an auction. Very Happy
solerso67

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just lost out on an item I needed. GIXEN did-not-bid. I did not edit in the last 20 minutes. It just failed.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

solerso67,

What was the status that Gixen gave your snipe after the auction had finished?

Please can you also tell us the item number of the snipe that failed?

That way, if there are issues with the software perhaps the site can be improved for as all, yourself included.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Impressions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.