Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Items "Disappear" !

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FFinCT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Items "Disappear" ! Reply with quote

Twice in the last half-hour, I have had this item (200627313321) disappear on my list of items; it just drops off the list! This happens when I have modified or deleted a different item... when the edit goes into effect (which it does), the item above is no longer there. I've not seen this happen before with Gixen (I'm a fairly long-term user).

I then have to go back into Gixen and re-enter the info for the vanished item. This scenario has happened with another item as well. I think one of the events might have been when I tried using the new delete checkbox for a [u]different[/u] item. All today.

Since I don't believe aliens kidnapped the electrons involved, I'd be curious if forum readers have also encountered this issue, and if there is a resolution, and what might be the cause. I'm thinking maybe it has to do with the newer edit code?

Also - I'm running the latest Firefox v5 on XP SP3 - although I don't think this is the likely culprit because the problem happens after the edit refresh.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested the new code extensively, but it's a complicated one, so it is possible there are some bugs. Can you replicate the problem consistently? That would greatly help me nail the issue.
FFinCT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Items "Disappear" ! Reply with quote

[b]Yes, I can and just did replicate the problem.[/b] The same item as I first mentioned (200627313321) disappeared when I saved a short edit to my comment on another (previously entered) item (200626955232) - which is exactly what happened before. It's like clockwork.

I'm thinking that something in the code might be causing an item to be deleted when another item is refreshed? I hesitate to keep tinkering with this, though, because each time I have to re-do the missing item. Maybe you can add these two items to your list and edit the same one I did and see what happens? Or create a list that's got about 6 items overall (enter them one after another), then go back and either edit one of their comments and/or also "delete" an item using the new checkbox approach. Maybe this will trigger something you can study first hand - I'd be curious to know what you find.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't replicate it.

Here is what I am doing: I entered items 200627313321 and 200626955232 with the identical comments as you have them in your account. I assigned a 0.01 price (this shouldn't matter).

I click on "Edit" for 200626955232, and enter an additional character at the end of the comment, then click on "Modify". The comment is modified and the other item 200627313321 is still there.

Please let me know the exact sequence of what you are doing. Do not assume anything, note every click, on what field / button you click, what you enter, etc. I wish I could see it, but I can't, so that's the only way.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject:

FFinCT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Items "Disappear" ! Reply with quote

hmmm...
interesting.
well, the only thing that is different is that I simply edited the first word of the Comment (rather than the end of the comment).

If you're able to see the entire set of items in my account, what if you tried to replicate that entire list? So that there's more than two items in it (which I think is what you did, from parsing your reply above).

Also - maybe try with Firefox 5 on Windows XP SP3 if you have such?

... [i]FAST FORWARD[/i]... ok, I had an idea, a theory, which is that something software-related knocks out the [b]last [/b]item in the Gixen list... so - I just tried another experiment... I added another item that I didn't really care about [i]so that it would be the last one on the list [/i]as to when bidding ends. I then added another item that then appeared in the middle of the pack (third down). That went ok and nothing disappeared. I then went to try and edit this third item (250848462486) as to the Comment, and, lo and behold, upon the edit getting refreshed, [i]the last item on the list disappeared[/i] (sorry, forgot to record it's item # but I don't thing it likely matters).

So - one hunch is that something in the code may be deleting whatever may be the last item in the list when there is a manual delete of an item or an edit. I would be surprised if it is item specific as to effect.

Hope the above helps... Maybe see if other users can replicate this, too?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am slightly confused with "Edit getting refreshed". Just to make it clear - did you click on browser "Refresh" button in any part of the process?
FFinCT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Items "Disappear" ! Reply with quote

Sorry for any confusion... The forum software flagged my use of upd*ting as if it were Spam about d*ting; so I tried alternate language.

Meaning for my clicking = "Modify" was clicked on within Gixen per se (no browser refresh used; I use only the Gixen buttons for adding, deleting, upd*ting, etc.).
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to replicate the problem you don't need to select any of the toggle boxes next to the snipes or press the new Delete (the red cross) button?... Just 'Adds' of snipes and then 'Edit' then 'Modify' of a comment on one of them?
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha yes!... If I press 'Edit' on the first item in my list, I don't change anything at all and press 'Modify' then the last item in my list of snipes disappears.

Last edited by Cupid on Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't replicate it with my test snipes. I'll look into the code to find out how this happens.
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be something with the new code, I certainly would have noticed this if it had been happening for more than a few days.

I do remember that different browsers sent different results back as a result of selecting those toggle thingys... I had to write some code to get round that once... that might be a complete red herring though (I was not selecting any toggles for the test I performed and described in my last post).

I'm using Firefox, by the way, but I think you do too, don't you?
FFinCT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Items "Disappear" ! Reply with quote

[quote="Cupid"]Aha yes!... If I press 'Edit' on the first item in my list, I don't change anything at all and press 'Modify' then the last item in my list of snipes disappears.[/quote]

Yes! Although I found it wasn't necessarily editing the Comment on just the first item on the list; in my case it was 2-3 different locations, and then... "bye bye last item!"

It may be that more than one thing triggers this, at least when Firefox 5 is involved. I also think that the developers at Firefox are working on resolving memory issues regarding their "plugin-container.exe" module. It causes a lot of people memory management grief. I don't know if this is an issue or not for Gixen-Firefox interaction. Probably not.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, this is definitely something caused by the new code. My main problem is that I am still unable to replicate the issue. I'll try harder later tonight.
FFinCT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Items "Disappear" ! Reply with quote

Maybe you do what follows already (?)... but if not, perhaps try setting up a totally new Gixen user account, complete with purchase of Mirror user status, schedule at least half a dozen snipes up to six days out, then edit and delete in various ways, add more snipes, repeat with other edits, etc... [versus what sounds like access to an Administrator level account], then see if the problem emerges with that account?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not it... I finally managed to replicate it... but I think you neglected to tell me one important piece of information. I bet you both have your input fields set to "Top of screen", and not the default "Bottom of screen". Am I right about this?

I managed to replicate the issue, but only when I set the controls to "Top of screen". Working on fixing the issue now.
FFinCT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Items "Disappear" ! Reply with quote

[quote="mario"] I bet you both have your input fields set to "Top of screen", and not the default "Bottom of screen". Am I right about this?[/quote]

Yes - Absolutely -- input fields are set to "Top of screen" - that's the ordained place to have such a thing. javascript:emoticon('Wink')

Glad that you were able to replicate the issue.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think I found and fixed the issue. Hopefully I haven't introduced any new ones. Please let me know if you see this or any other problem again.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mario"]That's not it... I finally managed to replicate it... but I think you neglected to tell me one important piece of information. I bet you both have your input fields set to "Top of screen", and not the default "Bottom of screen". Am I right about this?

I managed to replicate the issue, but only when I set the controls to "Top of screen". Working on fixing the issue now.[/quote]

Yes, you are right, I do have that option... sorry, must remember to try to include all my settings in future.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mario"]OK, I think I found and fixed the issue. Hopefully I haven't introduced any new ones. Please let me know if you see this or any other problem again.[/quote]

Thank you Mario,

I have tried the same test as I did before I went to bed (just different items now) and all seems well... thank you for your efforts sorting out this issue.
FFinCT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Items "Disappear" ! Reply with quote

[quote="mario"]OK, I think I found and fixed the issue. Hopefully I haven't introduced any new ones. Please let me know if you see this or any other problem again.[/quote]

Just had a chance this morning to try. and... things are fully functional, the issue did not reoccur when I edited an item. Thanks, Mario, for digging into and resolving this problem so quickly!

In the event of a future issue, are you able to determine a user's account settings, such as "top of screen" etc. as Administrator? I doubt I would have thought to consider those as factors in this instance or have known ahead of time to mention.

A feature suggestion: if you're not able to view a given user's account settings, perhaps you could add a feature at some point that is akin to the Firefox "Troubleshooting Information" (under its Help menu), where key (non-personal) system/app info can be generated, reviewed, and copied to the clipboard for pasting into an assistance request?

Thanks again for your help!
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am able to see all the settings, but there is too many, and it's easy to overlook. You are right, only after looking at the code did I realize the position could have been a factor.
FFinCT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Items "Disappear" ! Reply with quote

Well, I think you've done a fantastic job of producing and maintaining the product, and also, importantly, keeping it from becoming overloaded / bloated with non-essential "features."
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you FFinCT. Features are a good thing, however I like to keep them hidden when the user starts using Gixen for the first time, and then as user gets more comfortable he/she can enable them on the settings page. I like to keep the main interface as clean and simple as possible.

Besides, you would be surprised how seldom all the other features are used. The only one that's used often is (regular) groups.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.