Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

My Bid greater than winning bid, but I didn't win..?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
townsend555

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: My Bid greater than winning bid, but I didn't win..? Reply with quote

My bid: 387.73
Winning bid: 385.01
item # 220194456252

Huh? I read the link at the "Why did I lose this auction?" link about bid increments, but it clearly says: "A bidder may be outbid by less than a full increment." so the fact that my increment wasn't enough doesn't appear to be germaine. Or is it? I don't see anything in ebay's docs about minimum increments.

Just seeking clarification, I'm not mad or anything. There's plenty of other items. Thanks for a great product!
nochkin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bid increment for this price range is 5.00. So in order to win you had to bid 390.01 at least.
pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bid-increments.html
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes nochkin is absolutely correct.

Just to address your quote that "A bidder may be outbid by less than a full increment." ... yes that is also correct BUT only if the current auction price is below the maximum that a bidder has placed as a proxy bid.

In this case steelieslayers' actual maximum bid may have been $390, and if that was the case a bid of $390.01 would have been accepted (as nochkin pointed out) and then you would have won by less than one increment... Of course thats all purely hypothetical now, we will never know what their actual bid was.
townsend555

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nochkin wrote:
The bid increment for this price range is 5.00. So in order to win you had to bid 390.01 at least.

Thanks for the clarification. The ebay docs aren't very clear about this. It seemed to be more about how their proxy bids are auto-incremented.

They could simply state that "any bid must be at least current-bid + increment" but they don't. It's burried in the example.

Anyway, even if my bid had been accepted it's likely that the winner's max bid would have been higher than mine. Of course, there's no way to know for sure as Cupid observes.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject:

vprayv0n7d

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Winning bid? Reply with quote

I'm still confused about this winning bid stuff. On the item I was bidding on
the high bid was 7.99. I increment was .50 I bid $8.50 but the winning bid
was $8.49 how come I didn't win?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment when your snipe was sent to ebay the current bid was already 8.49. This is what counts - not the time when you scheduled your snipe at Gixen, this is irrelevant.
vprayv0n7d

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Winning bid? Reply with quote

Mario;
Ok, I think I understand it somewhat. Although my bid was higher($8.50) than the current bid of $8.49 I still didn't win because I needed to make my bid increase by at least .50 correct? Any suggestions of what to do the next time?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct. All you can do is to bid higher, or instead of sniping place your bid early if you feel bid increment advantage is more important than the advantage given by sniping. This depends on the kind of item you are bidding on. If the fair price is well known, sniping is generally less beneficial than for e.g. rare items.
supporting_member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Winning bid? Reply with quote

vprayv0n7d wrote:
Mario;
Ok, I think I understand it somewhat. Although my bid was higher($8.50) than the current bid of $8.49 I still didn't win because I needed to make my bid increase by at least .50 correct? Any suggestions of what to do the next time?

From what I understand, I think your bid should have been 8.51, and then you would have won.

Anyone else got something to say about this? I am new to bid increments and now incorporating them into my bidding process. The way I read it, vpray.. needed to bid one cent more. Otherwise, his 8.50 bid was considered by eBay to be the same as the 8.49 bid (in the same increment class), and so the lower of the two bids in the same increment class won.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Winning bid? Reply with quote

supporting_member wrote:
vprayv0n7d wrote:
Mario;

From what I understand, I think your bid should have been 8.51, and then you would have won.

If the current auction price was $8.49, the bid increment is $0.50 and so eBay would only accept bids of $8.99 or more. Anything less than that and the bid would not be accepted, when you look at the bid history it does not appear, and its as if you had not bid at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.