Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Donations (again)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moowneedy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:28 pm    Post subject: Donations (again) Reply with quote

I checked the FAQ and the forum for info on donating to Gixen, but it seems this still isn't an option. I wrote replies to a few older posts below that are hopefully convincing enough to finally get a donate button.

The previous posts on the subject:
-----------
[gixen website]/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9728
Quote:
Why would people not want a Mirror subscription if they are prepared to donate ?

One reason I can think of is that recurring payments are easy to forget about.

Another is that some people prefer to send a one-time payment upon delivery. If they use the free service and don't win any auctions then there's no loss for them. If they use the free service and see a trend of saving money, the results they had hoped for were delivered and they would like to show appreciation for said service.
-----------
[gixen website]/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8988
Quote:
It sounds like Mirror chunks might be the best fit for your usage.

I don't think Mario wants to take any money without giving at least something back in return.

Giving something back in return is exactly what some of us users would like to do for the benefit that Gixen provides. This isn't free money. The reason for "donating" is that Gixen has already provided a service worth more than $0 (or whatever the mirror subscription price is). People want to send "donations" to show appreciation for services already rendered.
-----------
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Donations (again) Reply with quote

Gixen had a "donate" button many years ago. Very few users were donating anything. Some were extraordinarily generous, and I feel very grateful for it, especially for early donations.

That said, the donations were (very) rare. Gixen started making money when subscription was introduced, and I was able to ditch my day job only after limiting the free service. I wish things were different, but I learned that it's in our nature, as humans, not to spend money unless we get at least something in return, that we otherwise wouldn't unless we paid. It doesn't matter that subscription is only $6 / year. Users have to get something back for that money.

The second point is - I do want to give something in return. Also, to address your concerns - there is an option (a bit more expensive, but nevertheless) to make one-off payments without recurring charges. There are also two more subscription types: mirror chunks and pay-per-use.

So there is no longer any reason to have a "donate" button. You want to donate? Buy mirror chunks or pay-per-use subscription. Or buy non-recurring mirror subscription.

I am aware that many users do this not because they necessarily need a subscription, but because they want to support the service. And I appreciate it just the same.
Moowneedy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Donations (again) Reply with quote

mario wrote:
Gixen had a "donate" button many years ago. Very few users were donating anything. Some were extraordinarily generous, and I feel very grateful for it, especially for early donations.

That said, the donations were (very) rare. Gixen started making money when subscription was introduced, and I was able to ditch my day job only after limiting the free service. I wish things were different, but I learned that it's in our nature, as humans, not to spend money unless we get at least something in return, that we otherwise wouldn't unless we paid. It doesn't matter that subscription is only $6 / year. Users have to get something back for that money.

The second point is - I do want to give something in return. Also, to address your concerns - there is an option (a bit more expensive, but nevertheless) to make one-off payments without recurring charges. There are also two more subscription types: mirror chunks and pay-per-use.

So there is no longer any reason to have a "donate" button. You want to donate? Buy mirror chunks or pay-per-use subscription. Or buy non-recurring mirror subscription.

I am aware that many users do this not because they necessarily need a subscription, but because they want to support the service. And I appreciate it just the same.

This all makes sense, thank you for the thorough reply and additional information. I'll look into mirror chunks as a way to "donate". And a belated congratulations for being able to ditch your day job, very well deserved for building and maintaining such an amazing service!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.