Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Bidding with Gixen after already bid on eBay?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hmm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Bidding with Gixen after already bid on eBay? Reply with quote

Let's say I place a bid (at the minimum price) for a particular item on eBay's website, and I then enter a higher bid on the same item in Gixen, with the same username.

1 - Will the Gixen bid be submitted successfully?

2 - Will I end up paying more, say if no one else bids?

Thanks.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - Yes
2 - No, you can never bid against yourself. Gixen will raise your maximum bid, not the current bid needed to win.
hmm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought, and exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks, mario. Smile
alreadytakenbaloney

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: what about grouped entries? Reply with quote

Scenario :
Two gixen entries tagged to belong to same gixen group.
My bid within ebay wins first of the two entries,
therefore gixen will not submit the bid for it (as explained above in this thread).

Question:
Will gixen cancel second gixen entry,
which normally it would do when I win a prior item in a group?
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: what about grouped entries?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: what about grouped entries? Reply with quote

alreadytakenbaloney wrote:
when I win a prior item in a group

Clarification : win by means of gixen submission
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gixen will not recognize your winning bid if it did not submit it itself. So the answer is no - it will not cancel the remaining bids in the group.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario is, of course, correct.

So how do you get round this?

If Gixen does submit a bid on the first item, and you win then the rest of the items in the Group will be cancelled.

You can enter a snipe that is going to be accepted by eBay as a bid, you may think this could be less than one bid increment more than your current bid on eBay, and an acceptable bid in some circumstances can be less than one bid increment more than your current bid ... However, to be certain that it will still be accepted at the end of the auction, when Gixen places the bid, actually it must be at least an increment more than your current bid because the auction price may get to your current high bid before the snipe is to be placed and you are still winning the auction which you want to trigger cancelling the rest of the snipes in that Group.

Then under the scenario you are talking about you would win after a bid has been placed by Gixen and you would have to pay the same price as you would have paid without that snipe bid being placed (since your original bid would have won anyway, the Gixen bid does not raise the auction price on eBay, as also explained earlier in this thread).

The only disadvantage with such a strategy is that under certain circumstances there will be a bid placed above your initial bid (you would have lost the auction without the snipe), but your Gixen bid is still accepted so you win the auction at one bid increment more than you would have lost it at.... if you see what I mean?... but the later snipes are still cancelled as you require when you win this auction... So there really isn't much of a disadvantage to doing that, is there?

Of course the best strategy is never to place a bid above your maximum, and usually only when there is no time for another bidder to react... So if the starting price is close to my maximum (within one bid increment) and there is a higher BIN that I would like to remove, I don't, I let Gixen place the bid and take the risk that someone will buy it before then at the BIN price, which in any case is more (and most often much more) than I am willing to pay... only if the starting price is at least one bid increment below my maximum price will I place a manual bid to remove the BIN, and then only a manual bid at the starting price, no more... and then a snipe, at my maximum, here on Gixen.
alreadytakenbaloney

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
Gixen will not recognize your winning bid if it did not submit it itself. So the answer is no - it will not cancel the remaining bids in the group.

I have fresh empirical results to report,
because this morning the scenario played out
(first item in gixen group was won by my low bid placed yesterday within eBay).
Results: Gixen marked first item "WON", and the rest "CANCELED".

I am pleased.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find the Gixen also placed a bid... but that did not increase the auction price as per normal eBay operation... Had Gixen not been able to place a bid it would not have cancelled the later auctions.
alreadytakenbaloney

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
...Gixen also placed a bid.
Which is what you explained in your previous message (thanks).
And which is contrary to
mario wrote:
Gixen will not recognize your winning bid if it did not submit it itself.
Correct statement instead would be: Gixen will not recognize that your eBay bid has won the auction unless gixen had sniped your eBay bid.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I don't see the contradiction... but it is quite a complicated scenario.

Perhaps we can agree:

Gixen will not recognize that you have won the auction unless Gixen is also able to place a bid at the value you specify for your snipe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.