Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Seperate usernames and passwords for ebay and gixen?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlie*waffles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Seperate usernames and passwords for ebay and gixen? Reply with quote

Hi, Love the site. Haven't used it in awhile but I'm back and ready to renew my mirror subscription.

I have a question. Have you guys ever thought of having the gixen log in id/password seperate from the ebay id/password?

I want to allow a friend to use gixen to place snipes on my behalf but I would rather they didn't have my ebay id and password just for privacy purposes.

Of course the ebay password would still be linked to the account but it could appear as ***** like passwords do on some sites.

Just a thought!
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the simplicity of the current system.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would require the password to be memorized for extended period of time on Gixen servers. I prefer not to do that.
sumflow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Password Reply with quote

Look what the guy is doing is placing a bid on ebay for your account. So why don't you just give them the password to use and change it when the deal is done.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Password

Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively, eBay accounts are easy to set up, all you need is another email address... so you can set up a new eBay account for both of you to use and then schedule snipes for that new account here on Gixen.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, that has its own hurdles - e.g. ebay may ask for account verification via credit card, etc. At the end, that new account will end up containing the same personal information as the original account.
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but you can't view the full credit card details on eBay even if you can log into the account.
sumflow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: What? Reply with quote

Maybe we should ask the user what it is they are trying to do?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies.

I ended up deciding it was better to give my friend an ebay login id and password (old account I already had but haven't used in a long time) anyway because of that bs ebay did with the default "best match" sort order and the way that shipping charges are hidden from view unless the seller lists shipping as "free" (I had forgotten about that).

I found I could send my friend links to the items she is to bid on with the search order set to ending soonest but she was not able to see the shipping cost without clicking on the items and viewing their pages making it much more difficult to bid on the items below the price we want to pay quickly (you can change this settings so shipping cost, seller feedback and other info appears in list view but those settings don't seem to effect the link so someone not signed in will still not see that information).

My biggest concern wasn't really so much privacy as being able to easily distinguish between auctions she had won or I had won and also concern that her logging in to one of my accounts from a different city/ip address would alert ebay's systems designed to protect against account hijacking.

I thought about it and realized the only times ebay has asked me to provide some sort of verification I was listing something for sale (from a computer other than that which I normally use).

We decided to go ahead and give it a try... she logs in to the account she is using to do the searches but snipes the auctions on gixen. So far so good!

I ended up renewing gixen mirror on two accounts. Thank you Mario for the great site and everyone else for your replies. I am sure I will find a wealth of information in these forums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.