Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Gixen mirror

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sttun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Gixen mirror Reply with quote

Hi all

Just upgraded to the Gixen mirror and then downloaded the desktop client. Looking at the desktop client, the Status (Mirror) is N/A, whilst the Status (Main) is "SCHEDULED" - is this normal considering I have bought the mirror?

Also, the client seems to refresh on a very frequent basis (almost constantly)- would this be using system resources? Would it not be better to be able to set a refresh variable for >1 hour and a second refresh variable for < 1hour?

If this is using the eBay API, is it also not possible in a future release to pull in

1. any notes and append them to the comment field
2. the postage as calculated by eBay?

Still an xcellent product though Smile

Thanks
Mark
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mirror statuses in the GDM should also be 'SCHEDULED' if the snipes are NOT grouped, if they are then that is correct because grouped snipes are not mirrored. However I think there is often corruption of that field for some reason. It is not an indication that the Mirror is not working for you though, you would not be able to access the Gixen data at all from the GDM if the Mirror were not live for you.

You can change the refresh raye under the Menu Settings>Preferences, yes it will be using your system to do the refresh, not a huge burdon but having more frequent updates on price is part of the advantage of using the GDM. I don't understand the requirement for two controls on the update rate though, can you explain that in more detail?

Mario will have to answer about the detail of the implementation, however I would think postal rates would be hard even with a personal session via the GDM.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, first - thank you for subscribing to mirror.

The reason why you see N/A is probably because that's a grouped snipe. These are not copied over to mirror, only single snipes.

Unlike web interface, price refresh in GDM is not server-side, it's done from the GDM itself. There is no harm in doing it frequently and in fact most users want this, but you can set the frequency in the settings menu if you wish.

GDM does not use ebay API - no sniping application is allowed to.
sttun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent - changed the grouping and now solved Smile I had each entry set to a unique group... Smile

The reason for the variable refresh is purely down to the fact that with 9d to go on an auction, I'm happy with seeing an update every hour or so, but with 15 mins to go, I'd like 5 secs or so Smile

Pity about the difficulty of implementing P&P :-/
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject:

mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Variable refresh is actually a good idea. I'll see how difficult it would be to implement.
sttun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Smile

Should I be able to see the comments in the desktop client? I can see them on-line... Confused
sttun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I enter a comment in the desktop client, sometimes I get a partial entry coming back to the on-line list. Every other time, I get nothing coming back.

If I enter a comment on-line, I get no comment in the desktop client.

Have I missed a trick? Confused
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me see what's wrong.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you enter a comment in the GDM?

Do you need to have that feature enabled online first?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a bug here regardless - if settings are not saved in the ini file, comment field does not even show up in GDM. I'll try to fix this, and release a new version tonight.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sttun, can you please re-download Gixen Desktop Manager, I just released version 1.1.6. Let me know if it works better for you now.

Comments are improved - now they you will see an input field, and the same field when editing an existing snipe with comment.

You can see comments as "hints" when you click on the row that contains a scheduled snipe. I am open to suggestions on how to improve the visibility, I am aware this is not perfect.
sttun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mario

Downloaded 1.1.6 and can see the correct version in GDM>About.

However, whilst I can see the comment field (as previously) in the "add new snipe" and also the comment field in edit (this works ok), I can't see anywhere where a "hint" would appear if I click on a scheduled snipe.

Clicking on a snipe doesn't now open the eBay item in a browser window - it did used to, didn't it?

If I add a new snipe and comment "P&P GBP 4.50" in the GDM, I only see "P" on-line and editing via the GDM.

If I add a comment "P&P GBP 4.50" on-line, I can see "P&P 4.50" both on-line and editing the snipe in the GDM - i.e. the only currency character that Gixen allows both via the GDM and on-line is $.

I hope these comments help?

Thanks
Mark
sttun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I edit a snipe in the GDM and change a comment & update. Re-editing and viewing the comment in the GDM, it is still truncated to 1 character.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird, I tested this and it worked fine. What version of Windows are you using?

I fixed the double-click issue and released 1.1.7. Double click now opens a browser with the item.
sttun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win7 x64 Confused
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it on Win7 32-bit, and it works fine. I'll see that I find a Win7 x64 machine to test it there. Please download the latest version anyway (1.1.7) and try that one.
sttun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.1.7 downloaded and the click to link back to the eBay item works fine Smile

Interesting that there could be differences between 64 and 32 bit implementation... Confused
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly related to Unicode handling in some way, that symptom is typical. I need to find a machine that has the same behaviour though in order to fix it. XP and Win7 32-bit, that I have available both work fine. I probably won't be able to fix this before some time next week.
sttun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mario

Don't stress Smile

It's not that important that it can't wait Smile

Thanks for a great product
Mark
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, please try one more time - download the latest release (1.1.Cool. This time I changed a few things that I think might have caused this, but I couldn't test it, as I don't have a 64-bit Win 7. It's not going to be any worse that's for sure, and it may be fixed. Let me know.
sttun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried 1.1.8 on my Win7 x64 machine and on an old XP machine. Works fine on the XP machine, but still no hints on the 64 bit laptop.

Also, it is still truncating any comments that are added through the GDM and the GBP character is still being removed.

It isn't that urgent Mario, but if you do manage to take a look, I'll be on & off the laptop over the weekend, so could test some more.

Is there anything I can do/run at my end to assist in problem solving/error trapping?

Thanks
Mark Smile
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I am leaving this for some time next week when I should have a Win7 64-bit machine to test this.
sttun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Smile
sttun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally only reboot my laptop after updates, but I had an app lock up, so rebooted.

The GDM "hints" now work Confused

It's good news I guess... Rolling Eyes

However, it still truncates any comments to 1 character if entered in the HDM and viewed in the GDM or Gixen.com. Currency characters in the comments field apart from $ is still an issue
sttun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GDM truncating characters issue is and isn't an issue. I was adding the phrase P&P to the comments field and the GDM was truncating everything and inc the "&".

If I don't use "&", then it seems to work ok. I guess it's related to the issue of using non-US currency characters?

Mark
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that would be due to the mechanism used to identify variables in https requests, which is the way the GDM communicates with the Gixen server.

It is probably best to avoid using the & character in comments.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, in fact this is because GDM uses Gixen API, and sends parameters as HTTP GET variables... and guess what the delimiter is for HTTP GET? It's &.

I don't have a quick solution for this (if at all) - so I'd avoid using & in comments.

Thank you for the feedback, so it seems 64-but Windows was not an issue after all?
sttun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the reboot, it appears as if 32 & 64 bit behaviour is the same. I have no idea why Confused

The problem of using "&" is only when using the GDM. Adding them at Gixen.com and viewing them in the GDM is fine.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's expected, web interface is more robust.

Forgot to say - the latest GDM has variable refresh, and it's the default.
sttun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Variable refresh... as in the GDM refreshes more frequently the nearer it gets to a bid time? Smile
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. It refreshes prices 5 seconds under 3 minutes left, 1 minute under 30 minutes left, and every 5 minutes otherwise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.