Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

"BID ABOVE BUY IT NOW PRICE" - IMO Stupid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: "BID ABOVE BUY IT NOW PRICE" - IMO Stupid Reply with quote

So I just logged in to see that a bid I had scheduled was not placed because "BID ABOVE BUY IT NOW PRICE".

I think bidding above the buy it now price can be an effective strategy and these bids should not be blocked.

BIN was $59.99. I added a snipe for $61.87 in case auction when above BIN (auctions sometimes do as I've noticed BIN disappears once auction reaches a % of BIN). I was willing to pay more than the BIN price and almost ended listing early with BIN. However knowing the competitive landscape I figured the item was likely to sell at auction for a price below BIN. I was right, bidding ended a $36. So instead of my $61.87 getting placed and me likely winning, I ended up sitting on the sidelines.

I kinda pissed my bid was canceled as this was a very unique item I'll likely never see again and was willing to pay much more than it went for at auction. I've been using Gixen for years now and never had a problem with it before. I think it's a great service and don't but without it but this experience left me baffled.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gixen does not block such bids, eBay does. Gixen is just reporting what happened when it tried to do as you told it.

If it was important to you why did you not just buy it for the BIN price?

You said yourself you were actually willing to pay more.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if eBay blocked the bid then eBay is stupid (as they lost money by not accepting my bid) and in that case I'm also stupid for assuming it was Gixen.

[quote]If it was important to you why did you not just buy it for the BIN price?

You said yourself you were actually willing to pay more.[/quote]

It wasn't important that I won (that said, had my bid been accepted I'm highly confident I would have won). It was important that I was in on the action.

Had I used BIN for $60 I would have had to pay $60.

Now, assume no BIN; a simple auction format. With a bid of $61.87, I may have paid up to $61.87 but this is unlikely. I may have paid as little as $37 (winning bid of $36 plus on bid increment).

So by using a 61.87 bid my downside over the $60 BIN was $1.87. On the flip side my upside was $24.87. I doubt many people would be bidding over the BIN (which would more or less guarantee me a winning bid) and I would most likely get the item at a discount to the BIN price.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you that your strategy makes sense; if it's more likely that you will win an item for less than paying over BIN, it's an educated gamble that makes sense in many cases.

Unfortunately ebay does refuse a bid of over BIN. I am partially at fault here for not implementing some kind of warning.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, please include something about this issue in the FAQ, on the bidding screen itself, or in the program. I lost an auction because of this today, and it would not have happened had there been a little snippet about it.

Very disappointed. :/
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, this warning is long overdue. I'll try to implement it by tomorrow.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the "price above buy-it-now" warning is implemented now. Hopefully I didn't break anything else. If you notice any issue, please let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When entering a bid greater than the Buy It Now price, we now get a warning
"[color=red]Your maximum bid is higher than buy-it-now price. eBay may (and probably will) refuse your bid.[/color]"

Awesome, thank you.
timmyma

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the quick update on this Mario! I'm sure many of you may already use this technique, but I'll share here just in case.

For auctions that have a BIN price, I will generally put in the minimum initial bid through Ebay just to kill the BIN option and then put my real bid through Gixen.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="timmyma"]
For auctions that have a BIN price, I will generally put in the minimum initial bid through Ebay just to kill the BIN option and then put my real bid through Gixen.[/quote]

Sure, if that BIN price is set to disappear after first bid, which is not always the case.
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on the category of the item whether the BIN is removed after the first bid, or not.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Cupid"]I think it depends on the category of the item whether the BIN is removed after the first bid, or not.[/quote]
I've noticed that BIN does not disappear till reserve price is reached
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.