Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

why did gixen my bid on straight away?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: why did gixen my bid on straight away? Reply with quote

I put on a bid for an auction via gixen, (ebay.com.au)
the auction ended in 14 hours,

but i immediately got an email back from ebay listing my maximum bid, so gixen had simply passed it straight through.

this has happened both times i've used gixen, so it hasn't sniped at all, just put my proxy bid straight on.

i'll post a link to the auction after the auction is over
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This never, never happened with Gixen. Please post the item ids.

Have you used any other sniping service besides Gixen for these items?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked into the database based on your IP, found your username, and I can't see you ever scheduling a snipe with Gixen, nevertheless one being executed. Please post more info here.
Karyn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Same thing happened to me Reply with quote

Hi Mario,

I trialled Gixen and gave it my maximum bid on a small item that was listed at $29.99 with one bid at the starting price. My maximum bid was $6 more - and I won at the maximum price with no other bids in between. So it looks as if Gixen also passed on my maximum bid - at the end of the auction.

I'm confused because I thought eBay would proxy bid, or take my first bid at $30.99, then the other bidder - if indeed they set a maximum - would be submitted at $31.99, then over to me again until we timed out in the very last split seconds. The item number was 380250510762.

I'd like to understand what happened so I can set myself up properly next time to win at the minimum price. In this case, I think that should have been $30.99 as there were no other bids per eBay history. Again, not upset as the price differential is so minimal, but it makes me wary of Gixen right now.

Thanks in advance for any input you can share, and let me know if you need my PM or any such!
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Same thing happened to me

mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karyn, the second highest bidder's maximum bid was 35.99 (see bid history), so ebay jumped your bid immediately to 35.99 + 1.00 (bid increment) = 36.99. It's just an amazing coincidence that your bid was exactly 36.99.
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mario is absolutely correct (as always), the way eBay works, the other bid was shown as $29.99 to you until your bid was placed even though what that bidder had actually bid was $35.99, that is how eBay proxy bidding works it doesn't reveal your actual maximum until it is outbid by someone else.
Karyn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok! now i am scratching my head because i looked at the eBay bidding history again and see you are absolutely correct. i could have sworn i only saw the first bid at the starting price, but i have been known to try to do too many things at once, compromising the quality of my attention. and, my mother would say that's what i get for swearing, grin. it's on me - thanks for your patience and clear explanations!
nochkin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karyn wrote:
i could have sworn i only saw the first bid at the starting price

If someone bid higher than one increment, eBay will not show their maximum bid. Instead you will see one increment higher only.
So if the listing started at $10, then someone bid $50. You will see $10 as a current bid only, not $50.
So only if you snipe anything higher than $50, you will see the maximum bid of another bidder.
That's why you saw a different bid after your snipe was placed (current bid vs maximum bid).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.