Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

First Chance: Gixen failed miserably

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmcafee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: First Chance: Gixen failed miserably Reply with quote

My bid with Gixen on an item was $227, placed over 2 hours prior to the end of auction. Yet the winning bid was $173 (item 270587840654). I used the default bid 6 seconds prior to end of auction.

Gixen displays the following,

"This snipe may have been entered too late into Gixen and may not be executed."

I am baffled.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmcaffee, I see a number of edits prior to auction end, the last one only 23 seconds before auction end (plus more after auction already ended). What were you doing exactly? Refreshing your browser maybe? Using autosnipe or regular web interface?

If you had an edit before that, this refresh may have repeated that edit of your snipe too close to auction end, and cause the snipe the fail.
jmcafee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario,

Thank you for the reply.

The last edit was hours prior to end of auction.

Yes, I probably refreshed the browser (FF 3.6) prior to completion to see the current bid price, but NO edit. There was no explicit action to edit (i.e. didn't click on the Edit button). Just refresh -- again, last true 'Edit' hours earlier.

The browser refresh after the auction completion was in disbelief that my bid $50 in excess of the winning price was never submitted.

I submit that if a browser refresh invokes another 'Edit' call, the code is flawed.

If the claim is your server was somehow confused by a perceived edit 23 seconds prior to completion, why should this be an issue if you normally wait until 6 seconds to submit the bid?

I remained baffled by the episode and subsequent explanation.
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't a good idea to use the browser refresh after an Edit... because that tells the browser to redo the last action, in your case that was an Edit.

In any case, updating Gixen does not provide you with updated price information, that is only retreived every few hours, not in real time, ubless you perform some action like adding or editing... thats true in your case, but not a good way to obtain such updates, you should use eBay itself or the Desktop Manager if you would like real time updates.

Gixen has to log in under your account quite a while before the snipe is executed so it isna't all done at 6 seconds before your snipe, work is going on before then, edits after the software has already logged in are likely to cause issues, when it tries to synchronise your wishes with the work that it is already doing.

If you just want an update on the Gixen status, use the Add button without entering any details in the input boxes.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject:

nochkin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
It isn't a good idea to use the browser refresh after an Edit... because that tells the browser to redo the last action, in your case that was an Edit.

I think I brought this issue up long time ago. I thought it was fixed.
This is not expected for a user to perform Edit when they click Refresh.
It's completely okay for user to click Refresh when they want to refresh the page for whatever reason. Gixen must redirect to a normal page (GET) after Edit (POST) to avoid this issue.
I would not call it a bug, but this is a bad design for sure.
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think you did nochkin, and I wouldn't disagree.

I think perhaps Mario implemented something that ignored multiple edits of the same item over a short period, but does not cater for multiple edits over a long period.

Last edited by Cupid on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, I believed I fixed this completely. I am unable to replicate the problem, and get "Error: data re-posted. Please do not refresh your screen after edit by clicking on "Refresh"".

This is what users should get when they do something like this.

jmcafee, you were using a regular interface, not Gixen in French/English/Spanish?

My main problem remains that I am unable to replicate the problem. If you could remember what steps exactly you did, that would greatly help me.
jmcafee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:

jmcafee, you were using a regular interface, not Gixen in French/English/Spanish?

My main problem remains that I am unable to replicate the problem. If you could remember what steps exactly you did, that would greatly help me.

Mario, I am glad to help because you intrinsically have a good service, and I'd like assist with any refinement to improve the reliability.

I use exclusively the interface presented from gixen.com, logging in from the home page, English. I'm not familiar with any other interface that you may offer.

The original bid was placed ~ 4 hours prior to auction close (PTAC). No group bid. Verified the default settings. Browser or browser tab then closed.

Logged in ~ 1.5-2 hours PTAC, slightly refined the bid via 'Edit'.

It was important for me to get a sense of how the current price you display tracks with eBay, thus the periodic refreshes. I wasn't certain if the price was updated by an automatic refresh or forced refresh.

Over the following 2 hours, up until a few minutes PTAC, I refreshed the browser several times. At least one time I started a session with a new login via a new browser tab or perhaps an entire new instance of Firefox 3.6x.

I do not recall any refresh or other activity 23 seconds PTAC, but I accept the timestamp in your log that I invoked an action (certainly not a deliberate Edit). For the last 10 minutes I was monitoring the auction price via eBay in a separate tab or FF session.

For a brief time early on I had 2 concurrent sessions, and closed one. Also early on I probably did click Edit (I recall my bid detail highlighted in red), but did not change anything (I wasn't certain if "Cancel" would cancel the bid or just exit the Edit) and closed the tab without committing any action.

At no point PTAC did a refresh ever generate a message from your server, including '"Error: data re-posted. Please do not refresh your screen after edit by clicking on "Refresh".' The page was simply re-written, the only change reflected in the current bid price.

Only after auction close did a refresh provoke the server to respond with "This snipe may have been entered too late into Gixen and may not be executed."

I hope this helps.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmcafee, can you please do the following: using the same browser you used before, schedule a snipe. Then click on "Edit" and change the amount. Then click on "Refresh" and let me know if you get the message "Error: data re-posted".
jmcafee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
jmcafee, can you please do the following: using the same browser you used before, schedule a snipe. Then click on "Edit" and change the amount. Then click on "Refresh" and let me know if you get the message "Error: data re-posted".

Mario,

Try this:

Item: 250647051765
Bid placed: 22:21 PDT
Refresh: 22:24 PDT

The only server message after the refresh is, "Sorry, this item is already present." in small red colored type below the server tabs. I never noticed this previously, but the text is small and not immediately obvious to the eye, and I certainly could have overlooked this in the past.
jmcafee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario,

Sorry I didn't follow your script exactly.

Edit: 22:32 or 22:33
Refresh: 22:36

Server message: "Error: data re-posted. Please do not refresh your screen after edit by clicking on "Refresh"." The bid data is not displayed. I have never previously seen this screen.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all expected - the first message "item already exists" probably happened when you hit refresh after adding an item (not after editing it). So I am still unsure how it happened that refresh after edit actually worked previously.
jmcafee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario,

I completely understand the difficulties a programmer faces when trying to reconstruct a series of events that precipitated an unexpected action. Regardless if we could not precisely recreate the exact sequence of events that led to the failure of the submission of my bid, I hope you diligently heed any further reports of similar experiences from me or other users.

I'm giving gixen.com another shot at getting it right. I'll report on the success/failure in a couple of days. I'll be sure to refrain from any browser refresh!

Regards,
Jim
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jim - and I will certainly do, I get this problem very seriously, this is why I made changes to the refresh in the first place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.