Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

newbie questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billhiggs

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: newbie questions Reply with quote

I am relatively new to ebay, never successfully sniped on ebay not sure if thats because I dont know how to do it, or because my interent connection is just not fast enough.

So if some kind soul could tell me how to use gixen correctly it would be most appreaciated.

as I understand it, login with my ebay name and password, enter the item number and enter my maximum bid
and let gixen do the rest??

how does gixen enter the winning amount and not my max if not neccessary and confirm the bid,

and how do I know if I won and continue to pay etc.

are sites like gixen the reason I have never been able to succesfully snipe???

seems to me your chances of sniping if you arent using something like gixen are slim????

nd if everyone if using gixen to snipe, doesnt that just defeat the purpose???

Thanks

Bill
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

It sounds to me like you've pretty much got it.

Gixen submits the bid that you ask it to in the last few seconds of the auction. However that does not necessarily mean you have to pay that much if you win because the way that eBay works the selling price is set by the second highest bidder, plus a small increment. So, if someone else is prepared to bid only a little less that your maximum, the price you pay may be the maximum you are willing to pay, but if no-one else does you may win for much less than that.

You know that you have won if eBay sends you an email message telling you that you have, you can also check back on the Gixen site for a few days after the auction has completed, a status of 'WON' is displayed here.

If everyone used Gixen, the highest bid would still win on eBay, eBay would effectively become a sealed bid site, no-one would know what everyone else was prepared to bid untill after the auction had finished.

Last edited by Cupid on Tue May 04, 2010 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: newbie questions Reply with quote

billhiggs wrote:

how does gixen enter the winning amount and not my max if not neccessary and confirm the bid,

Gixen does enter your maximum amount (the same way you would at ebay), and then ebay takes over to determine the amount needed to win. You may or may not pay your maximum depending on how high other bidders bid.

billhiggs wrote:

and how do I know if I won and continue to pay etc.

ebay will send you an email notifying you of the outcome.

billhiggs wrote:

are sites like gixen the reason I have never been able to succesfully snipe???

No, but your internet connect may be.

billhiggs wrote:

seems to me your chances of sniping if you arent using something like gixen are slim????

Not at all, it's just easier (you don't have to be present) and more reliable this way.

billhiggs wrote:

nd if everyone if using gixen to snipe, doesnt that just defeat the purpose???

Not at all, but it would turn an auction into a sealed-bid auction. Only around 6% of users snipe though.
billhiggs

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, guess i will just give it a try and see how it goes

so its pretty much the same as placing a mxiumun bid on ebay, except that i just set it on gixen and forget it,

and in fact I neither have to be at my computer, nor logged into gixen nor even have my computer on, for that matter?

Bill
\
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Cupid

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have definitely got it now Bill.

You have listed some of the advantages of using a sniping service already.

The primary advantages of sniping in general are firstly that it avoids other buyers seeing you bid and reacting to it and secondly it avoids the possibility of the seller themself placing a bid to push the price up as a reaction to your bid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.