Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

ERROR IN POSTING - DEBUG MODE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robin Hickman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: ERROR IN POSTING - DEBUG MODE Reply with quote

AFTER THREE ATTEMPTS AT POSTING THIS REPLY ELSEWHERE AND GETTING THREE "ERROR IN POSTING" NOTIFICATIONS, I'M GOING TO TRY TO POST THE "ERROR IN POSTING" NOTIFICATION HERE IN THE HOPES THAT :

#1 THAT MY REPLY WILL AT LEAST GET POSTED, AND

#2 SOMEONE WILL "FIX" THIS "ERROR IN POSTING" PROBLEM !!!

Error in posting

DEBUG MODE

INSERT INTO posts_text (post_id, post_subject, bbcode_uid, post_text) VALUES (10769, 'Just Another \"Newbie\" Trying To Learn How GIXEN Works.', '1b7994d0aa', '[color=white:1b7994d0aa]. [/color:1b7994d0aa] [ 3rd Attempt at posting this reply here.] Hello, Mario ! First of all, THANK YOU for putting all of this (Gixen) together! I sure hope I can get it to work properly! My MAIN concern has to do with getting my first un-attended \"Snipes\" set-up correctly. By not knowing anything about Gixen and how this \"stuff\" works obviously compounds the \"problem\". Having never \"set-up\" a snipe on Gixen, I didn''t know \"how to\" do that. And from that lack of knowledge sprang my question about \"Groups\" and \"Group folders\" and all that. There is NO \"How To\" instruction page on Gixen, or at least I''ve been unable to find one. There is NO \"User Manual\" or instructions on where to start and what to do in order to set-up a Gixen Snipe. There is no \"Beginner''s Guide\" for newbie''s like me, or the tens of thousands of visitors here who never become newbies here because they don''t know how to get started and there is nothing here to help introduce them to how things work here. The Gixen Vets \"know\" how things work here and they pretty much understand the process or at least most of it. You folks know this stuff forwards and backwards. You can do it in your sleep. However, we newbies know NOTHING. We''re new here and we don''t know the lay-out. It''s like moving to a new city and trying to navigate around in the dark, without a map, and all the street signs are in a language you don''t understand. I have set up my first two snipes here on Gixen. Or at least I think I have. I just checked both eBay auctions and noticed one of them just got its first bid earlier this morning. To be on the \"safe\" side, I increased my Max bid amount on both my snipes by $5.00. Or at least I think I did. I am going to leave this site, then come back to check if the new bid amounts are still there. So you see, Mario, I''m not (as yet) really concerned about \"groups\", \"group folders\", \"exclusions\", \"inclusions\", and all that. While I''m sure that stuff is important, right now that''s NOT my MAIN concern. I just want to get my first two snipes here on Gixen set up and completed correctly while I''m over a hundred miles away. See ??? Thanks for letting me explain where I''m coming from. Robin Hickman [color=white:1b7994d0aa]. [/color:1b7994d0aa]')

Line : 258
File : functions_post.php
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've re posted this so that it is easier to read:

Robin Hickman wrote:

[ 3rd Attempt at posting this reply here.]

Hello, Mario !

First of all, THANK YOU for putting all of this (Gixen) together!

I sure hope I can get it to work properly!

My MAIN concern has to do with getting my first un-attended "Snipes" set-up correctly.

By not knowing anything about Gixen and how this "stuff" works obviously compounds the "problem".

Having never "set-up" a snipe on Gixen, I didn't know "how to" do that. And from that lack of knowledge sprang my question about "Groups" and "Group folders" and all that.

There is NO "How To" instruction page on Gixen, or at least I've been unable to find one.

There is NO "User Manual" or instructions on where to start and what to do in order to set-up a Gixen Snipe.

There is no "Beginner's Guide" for newbie's like me, or the tens of thousands of visitors here who never become newbies here because they don't know how to get started and there is nothing here to help introduce them to how things work here.

The Gixen Vets "know" how things work here and they pretty much understand the process or at least most of it.

You folks know this stuff forwards and backwards. You can do it in your sleep. However, we newbies know NOTHING.

We're new here and we don't know the lay-out.

It's like moving to a new city and trying to navigate around in the dark, without a map, and all the street signs are in a language you don't understand.

I have set up my first two snipes here on Gixen.

Or at least I think I have.

I just checked both eBay auctions and noticed one of them just got its first bid earlier this morning.

To be on the "safe" side, I increased my Max bid amount on both my snipes by $5.00.

Or at least I think I did.

I am going to leave this site, then come back to check if the new bid amounts are still there.

So you see, Mario, I'm not (as yet) really concerned about "groups", "group folders", "exclusions", "inclusions", and all that.

While I'm sure that stuff is important, right now that's NOT my MAIN concern.

I just want to get my first two snipes here on Gixen set up and completed correctly while I'm over a hundred miles away.

See ??? Thanks for letting me explain where I'm coming from.

Robin Hickman.

Last edited by Cupid on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mark, I should fix that forum software, but can't find the time to do it... especially as it's a third-party software that I am not too familiar with.

Robin, you did well - once you set your maximum bid you should just let it be and wait until auction end. Do not increase your bid with each bid you see, just set the maximum you are willing to pay and forget about it until auction end. You will not necessarily pay that maximum, the final price depends on other bidders as well. It's safe to log out, close your browser and turn off your PC, your snipes will still work.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries Mario,

I was just sorting it out so that I could read it... then I was going to reply... but I see by the time I have it sorted, you have already replied... so it was sort of a joint effort...

Well done Robin, you do seem to be doing fine at picking this 'Gixen thing' up.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject:

Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
I should fix that forum software, but can't find the time to do it... especially as it's a third-party software that I am not too familiar with.

There are later versions of phpBB available now, I think... perhaps it is time to consider installing a later version?

I imagine that is not as easy as it sounds though since you have had to tailor the version we are using, haven't you?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
I imagine that is not as easy as it sounds though since you have had to tailor the version we are using, haven't you?

Exactly... Plus one of the main problems is that Gixen database is not unicode / utf8... And no version of phpbb can help with that. I should find a way to convert the database first, and while I haven't tried it yet, I know that there will be a lot of problems with that.
Robin20152

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Follow-up on THIS Thread Reply with quote

Hello!

I'm just following-up on this thread. The MAIN reason I started this thread was because of the "Error In Posting - Debug Mode" messages I kept getting when trying to post a reply in another thread.

Thank You, Cupid (Mark), for "parsing" out my reply. I copied that parsing and posted it as a reply (with an explanation) in the thread that it was originally meant for.

QUOTE (Mario) : "Robin, you did well - once you set your maximum bid you should just let it be and wait until auction end. Do not increase your bid with each bid you see, just set the maximum you are willing to pay and forget about it until auction end."

Thank you, Mario. I pretty much agree with your advice about the setting of maximum bids. The reason I increased max bid on BOTH items had to do with the advice that I read elsewhere on this site. Part of the change was the fear of NOT winning, but mostly it was my re-assessment of the difference between the amount that I WANTED to pay and the most that I was WILLING to pay. And making that distinction BEFORE getting caught up in a bidding "frenzy".

Regarding the Gixen forums database and the "code" that it is written in :

My simple, newbie advice is to "fix-it" as fast as you can. Make it #1 on your Gixen To-Do list.

On the "visible" surface it's just an "ease of use" issue. We all want things to work easier and smoother. The easier and smoother things work, the more likely it is that we will use them and continue to use them.

But in the not-so-visible under the surface area is where it counts the most. You see, in a sense, it is a "trust" and "confidence" issue. If the website is difficult to use and/or there are constant "problems" with it, how can we "trust" the owner and have any "confidence" in him or his product/service???

Anyway, that's just my two cents worth.

Robin
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a fair point Robin,

These boards are by no means perfect in what they will and will not accept, and I certainly agree it is frustrating when you are trying to say something important and it keeps rejecting what you spend time typing in.

That said as Mario says the main issue is with the format of the database that these posts are stored in... I dont know if it is the same database that is used to hold our snipes, but if it is and any tinkering with it is likely to affect those then I'd much prefer the problems to remain with posting here and the attempt to fix such problems not cause other potential problems with the important operation of Gixen (ie placing snipes on eBay), that would be an 'own goal' (as we say in the UK, I'm not sure how universal that phrase is in this context)
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:

That said as Mario says the main issue is with the format of the database that these posts are stored in... I dont know if it is the same database that is used to hold our snipes, but if it is and any tinkering with it is likely to affect those then I'd much prefer the problems to remain with posting here and the attempt to fix such problems not cause other potential problems with the important operation of Gixen (ie placing snipes on eBay), that would be an 'own goal' (as we say in the UK, I'm not sure how universal that phrase is in this context)

It's not the same database, in fact it's even on a physically different server, so any work on it will not affect sniping. It's just a matter of finding time to work on it, and possibly motivation - I always rather choose to work on new Gixen features than this forum software that I dislike so much...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.