Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

auction expired, gixen did not submit a bid

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unearthlysoul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: auction expired, gixen did not submit a bid Reply with quote

I bid on item 280529966116 via gixen, the bid expired without anyone submitting a bid. I checked my gixen page, it indicated there was still 41 minutes left. Needless to say, a bid on mybehalf was not submitted.

Gixen preceives the bid is still open. This is first occasion this has happened.

Will this occur in the future?

Roger
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

This auction has been ended early by the seller. The original end time was

Sun Jul 11 10:54:30 2010 PDT

and it has been ended by the seller at

Sun Jul 11 09:10:23 2010

There was nothing Gixen could have done about it. One way to prevent seller from ending auction early is to place a small bid early - then ebay does not allow the auction to end.
Forrest Freeman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Good Advice Reply with quote

I've seen several sellers ending their auctions early because it looked as though anyone could win the item at an extremely low price. Then they repost the same item in the hopes that they'll get a higher bid than the last time.

What I didn't know was if someone bids on an item with a low price for instance, it looks them in and they can't pull the auction.

Good advice. I'm going to try that the next time. Hopefully, these cheaters won't have a shill in place. lol.
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with bids, a seller can still end an auction early, and cancel all bids, if there is more than 24 hours to go before the auction is due to end, it happens to auctions I am interested in all the time.

A seller with at least one bid IS less likely to do that though.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject:

nochkin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think seller can end a listing any time, not necessary when it has more than 24 hours to go.
For example, 160467114658 was ended about 3 hours before its actual end time.
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nochkin wrote:
I think seller can end a listing any time, not necessary when it has more than 24 hours to go.
For example, 160467114658 was ended about 3 hours before its actual end time.

You may be right, I haven't seen one ended early, that has bids, in the last 24 hours for many years... in this case the bid was cancelled before the auction had 24 hours to go, so I think we need another example to establish that an auction with current bids can still be cancelled in the final day.
nochkin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point. Another example. Let me see...

Here is another one: 150478818528

The original ending time was Aug-18-10 03:17:38 PDT.
Seller cancelled the only bid and ended this listing at Aug-17-10 06:22:18 PDT.
nochkin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a "no go" time is 12 hours? I never ended my own listings so I don't have such experience.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nochkin wrote:
Maybe a "no go" time is 12 hours? I never ended my own listings so I don't have such experience.

Yes, you are right, it is at 12 hours before the auction ends that restrictions start to apply:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/end_early.html

I should have done more research before stating that I thought it was 24, sorry.
nochkin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
I should have done more research before stating that I thought it was 24, sorry.

Well, I was guessing instead of reading too Smile
obsoletewatchandclockpart

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nochkin wrote:

when there are less than 12 hours left on an item, you can end the auction early if there are no bids, if there is a bid you cant end it. thats why if you see some thing you would like to win, put in a modest bid to show the seller that there is interest in the item early in the auction, that way he wont pull it off & is less likely to sell it to someone on a buy it now..
owenpw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Also experienced no bid submitted Reply with quote

I had the same thing happen, but the auction was not canceled. No bid was submitted for me.

Item # 110582586986

Now, I think I might have lost it, but in that case, an "outbid" notice would be on Gixen and the auction would state that You did not win this auction.

All I got was "this auction has ended". No record in the bid history, and the winning bid was just below what I had put for my snipe bid. The winner probably had a higher offer in his snipe, but why did my bid not get submitted?

This was not an auction that I care greatly about, but if it had been, I'd been really displeased. As is, I'm curious to know what happened.

Thanks.

BTW, I am a paid subscriber to the service.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

owenpw,

I think we need a little more information:

1> When you say 'the winning bid was just below...' was it within 1 bid increment of the winning auction price?

2> What was the offset of your snipe, on the Main and on the Mirror?... The final bid was placed 5 seconds before the auction ended, so your timing may have been significant in whether eBay would accept the bid.

3> What is the status on the Mirror tab, assuming this was Mirrored since you are a paid member and that it was not in a Group.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The point is that no bid was submitted. If it were too close, I would still get a "You lost this auction" sorta notice. All that occurred was "This auction has ended. Find another..?" note.

The final winning bid was 21.50. I bid 21.99. I suspect the winner had a higher bid amount, but his win should have been then at my price or above.

The key, in my mind, is that no evidence could be seen that my bid had been submitted.

There is no log of your bids, so it disappeared the moment I tried to see anything.

I was set at default 6 seconds for each main & mirror. It was set up about an hour before the end of the auction.

Now, all that said, I did just win another small auction on a snipe, so it seems to have been an anomaly. Gixen "should" have or offer a log to paid users, so we can track such things. But, that's just wishing.

Again, this is more curiosity driven, as this particular auction was a small item I'd have liked, but looks like I wouldn't have won. Just the behavior is unlike what I've seen in any other close win or loss.

Ideas?
owenpw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I posted as guest. It seems I must log on again when entering the forums. Sorry 'bout dat.

That post above, if not obvious, was mine.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

owenpw,

your bid was not submitted because it did not meet ebay's minimum bid increment requirement. Required bid increment in that price range is 0.50, and you had only 0.49.

See http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bid-increments.html and you will understand.

This is not Gixen's doing in any way, ebay prevents such bids from being placed.
owenpw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So his snipe just beat mine, thus canceling even the record of my bid?

If I am outbid, even completely before the final minutes, the Gixen will note that my bid was under the current amount. I've had that happen when my snipe, scheduled earlier, was waaaay too low come the final minutes, let alone seconds.

It will show that a "bid attempt" was made and that I had been outbid, in some cases before my bid was even made. This did not occur. No action occurred. When I looked at my Gixen page, it was seemingly frozen as if it were still waiting for the end of the auction.

Again, I'm not cranky, just curious. Is this a perfect moment of a bid just being close enough to be not even marked? It doesn't make sense when any other bid would show that you were outbid, the bid wasn't enough, or something that says Gixen had acted and the result was ___.

It's a strange one.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

owenpw,

As Mario says the bid was too low to be accepted by eBay in the last 5 seconds due to the bid increment rule, so you would not necessarily expect any record of your bid there if Gixen tried in the last 5 seconds, which is entirely possible if your offset was 6 seconds.

That said, normally you would get a 'Bid Under Asking Price' status after the auction, which you did not, at least on the Main ?... That is why I asked about the Mirror status... when you have an odd result on one it is best to check the other to see what happened on the whole Gixen system, that is the point of having a Mirror, if one side does have a problem for some reason the other side is a back up, it would be very very unusual for both to experience issues with the same auction.
owenpw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, without a log, I can't reference back to see. What I remember seeing is what I reported, that it appeared from looking at my Gixen screen that nothing had happened. The "bid under" report wasn't there, and it appeared as if the auction had not yet ended.

Anyway, water gone and I cannot pull up anything to see. So, it will remain a curious question to me.

No stress, no complaints. It's only happened once. If it occurs again, I'll try to do a screen capture before refreshing or any thing else (that makes all record of it disappear).

Thanks for all the feedback. It's a great service, and I'm glad I have subscribed to it.

Cheers!
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah,

The status here on Gixen web page is only updated after the auction is complete AND you do something else to refresh the screen (like add or delete a snipe), it doesn't automatically update the screen when something behind the scenes has happened.

This is perhaps what happened in your case, and then is it possible that the first action you took after the auction completed was to press the 'Purge Completed' button, if that were the case you would never see the updated status?

What I do if I want an update is look at the Mirror tab, then back to the Main tab... alternatively push the 'Add' button without entering any details in the boxes.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, keep in mind that it can take up to 15 seconds after auction end for the status to get updated. This is because Gixen waits for some time after auction end for ebay to sort out everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.