Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Improvements to bidding page

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cantrips

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Improvements to bidding page Reply with quote

The user experience is very slow when placing bids. I have a large watch list on eBay (50-200 items) and every time I place a bid, Gixen refreshes the page and it takes 15-30 seconds before the page is loaded so that I can place another bid.

I would like to suggest some design changes to make this page work better:

- Don't refresh the page after a bid is placed. Instead, submit the bid with AJAX but update the client-side table with JS directly. If the AJAX call fails, show an error under the bid amount and add a 'resubmit' button.
AND / OR
- Introduce a 'text only' mode so the watch list loads faster - the thumbnails seem to be taking the most time.
AND / OR
- Put a caching proxy in front of the site (e.g. Squid) to speed up loading of image thumbnails
AND / OR
- Allow editing bids inline, instead of at the bottom of the table; this would allow users to submit a bid without waiting for the entire table to load.

Most of these changes will reduce server load and improve the experience for all users.

Great website by the way. Thanks for making it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems this issue has been reported multiple times in different ways:
gixen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9542
gixen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1341
gixen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9342
gixen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6767
gixen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6620

So I'm not the only one who would benefit - please consider it. Thanks
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically unless you are offering the resource to be able to do the development and ongoing support work it is unlikely to happen.

Gixen is not an auction management tool, it was never designed for that purpose.

Are you actually bidding on 50-200m items per day ?

If not I'd certainly recommend that you change the way you work with Gixen to reduce the number of snipes that you have scheduled at one time.
cantrips

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I schedule 200 bids once a week. I’m working on sets of collectible cards so I have a list of 500 specific cards that I want. Once a week I use a set of 20 complex search strings to get all of the eBay auctions going for those cards and watchlist the stuff I want. Then I go to Gixen to set my snipes. It’s a process that works for me since I’m busy during the week and eBay default auction time is 7 days so I rarely miss anything.

Really, the suggested changes are easy to implement. Even a JS novice could implement all of them with less than a week of effort. Including learning JS from scratch on w3schools.

I’d be happy to make the improvements myself but I don’t think Mario is letting anyone touch the source code.

Cheers
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject:

Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have thought you'd need access to the current code in order to mock up a template for all the front end of the web interface, as you suggest ?

You have the current pages as a reference, after all... If you don't think it's going to take more than a few days you might as well do it and send your code to Mario to evaluate...

I do recall him saying elsewhere on this forum that he rejected the last upgrade to the web interface that he actually paid someone for, because he didn't like it though...

Also the ongoing support would need to include dealing with all the confused users that post here whenever anything gets changed on this site...
cantrips

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not going to spend time on doing it if there's a low chance of the code being used. Also without back-end code I could only provide front-end example, which isn't very helpful.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what chance there is of changes being used, maybe Mario will post here about why he didn't like the changes he paid for, and therefore provide more confidence that your work might be appreciated more.

Since it's the front end that we are talking about redesigning here, I don't think it matters if the back end is implemented as just stubs, so long as the front end is functional to the extent that you made the suggestions above, that's what needs demonstrating as a better solution than what we have now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.