Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

The morals of Gixen

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boogiejuice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: The morals of Gixen Reply with quote

From 2001 until 2014 i refused to use sniping as i thought it was unfair and annoying. Smile As i got sniped again and again, i finally had no choice but to do it too, i can see it's attraction -- winning and saving money but i still think it's unfair. Auctions should end 5 minutes after the last bid --- so ebay automatically extends the listing if the item is sniped with 1 second to go.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand and can sympathise with that viewpoint.

People like me would buy quite happily elsewhere if Ebay decided to change to that policy... and some sellers, mostly those whose methods require higher turnover, would find it less worth while to sell as a result, so might sell elsewhere more often too... so, I am not sure it would be in Ebays' long term business interests to adopt it.

Last I heard, Ebay accepted sniping as 'part of the Ebay experience'.
stuartdip

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. sniping is sneaky and unfair. It has also saved me a lot of money and I have had 2 good wins on ebay this week.
So many people sit there at the last second placing their bid, I have done that too, but now I pay a small fee to Gixen to automate it.

Ebay has inflated second hand values and taken away from charity shops. You needed to do a boot sale or advertise in the classifieds in the pre ebay days - or very often give away, junk the item or take it to a charity shop.

Any item is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it.
Why pay more?

THANK YOU GIXEN !!!!!!
rickajho

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people have to get past the idea that eBay bidding is actually an auction - because it ain't.

In normal auction bidding an item goes up for bids at a specific time, and bidding ends once there is no advance on the highest bid. There is no waiting around for days or weeks to see if there are any further bid advances.

eBay et all is more of a bass ackwards race against a clock, to see who can put up the highest bid against a fixed end time. Because bids on these sites are so rigidly attached to an (over)emphasis on a closing time, in it's own way I can only blame the likes of eBay and their working model of "an auction" for the creation of sniping software.

Ebay thus creates any moral dilemma because the emphasis isn't on the highest bid, it's on who has the highest bid at a very specific point in time.

.02 ¢
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject:

kronckew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the bidder previous to (y)our snipes had turned in a bid higher than your snipe, he would have won, not you. it's the previous bidder that is trying to get it on the cheap, as he did not bid what he thought the item was worth, but just the amount he thought he could get away with. if you win an auction with a snipe it is because you bid more than anyone else, which is fair.

disappointing a low bidder is not our problem as a buyer. we maximize fair returns to the seller as well as insuring we do not get caught up in a last minute spur of the moment blast of one-upmanship just to win at a price higher than we wanted to pay originally.
Fuzzbean

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: It's a wonderful life Reply with quote

There have been two instances where I was trying to manually snipe auctions for gun-related accessory items and was tripped up by ITAR warnings that eBay now seems to insert randomly into the bidding process, with the result being I was too late to place my bid and those items sold for much less than I was prepared to pay for them. For instance a brand new pistol target rear sight that might retail for $75 and I was going to bid $40ish and it sold for $12. That seller really got screwed... because I wasn't there to stop it from happening.

I do not see the slightest moral problem with sniping. I just watch these bozos come in early, get themselves all worked into a frenzy inching the price up dollar by dollar, and I think they are dumb. Because they are fighting over prices like $5 or $6 or $7 when I know odds are the item will ultimately sell for $30 or more. Well, they do their job for the seller's benefit, and I do mine. If the sniper doesn't come, the seller loses out.

I think about what an item is worth to me, then maybe add a tiny bit more to that since 9 times out of 10 I will not have to pay the tiny extra part and I figure the times I win for cheap more than make up for it. If I place my top bid and win, I feel some sense of triumph. But if I another sniper beats me, I rarely feel regret. I just laugh and think "Wow, he sure paid for it!"

As for losing bidders that I beat, well if they feel bad then apparently they did not think clearly about what the item was worth to them. That was dumb.
Fuzzbean

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Unfair? Reply with quote

I do not see how the word "unfair" even gets into this discussion. Especially with things like Gixen allowing anybody to snipe at any hour of the day. Anybody can freely do the same thing I do, so how is anything unfair?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Impressions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.