Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Group Bid Failure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
talkingwires

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Group Bid Failure Reply with quote

I set up a standard "group 1" bid for 5 items (currently as a non-mirror user). When I lost the first bid*, all the remaining bids were cancelled (!) I have been using Gixen successfully for years without a single problem so I was astonished to see this. What's going on? I was going to pay up for another year of mirror service, but this failure has me worried... Sad

*I'm not sure as I can no longer view my bid history, but I think the first bid was on item #281642359447.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the remaining bids were cancelled because the password was incorrect, and this happens whenever password is incorrect regardless of groups.

Have you changed your ebay password at all? It looks like you were logged in to Gixen with an old password.
talkingwires

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for responding. It has been months since I logged into Gixen and my eBay password since then probably is different. How do I update this on Gixen? I can't find instructions on the site for doing this.
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you do anything make a note of any snipes you want to reactivate after you have the correct credentials in Gixen... then if they have been entered under the wrong credentials I would delete them... they would not work anyway, as you have already found... and you would not have access to them again after you change the password that you use to log in to Gixen.

At the bottom of the settings page there is an option to download your current snipes... if you have many then you might want to use that instead.

You tell Gixen what your credentials are each time you log in... so if you are using browser saved old credentials you should not use them and type them in from scratch.

Then you can enter your snipes again once you are logged in to Gixen with the new correct credentials... there is an option to upload snipes, also on the Settings page, if you chose to save them to a file.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject:

talkingwires

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your input and maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but the browser I'm using now (Chrome) isn't even the same one I logged in with months ago (Firefox), so I doubt that credentials are the issue.

I still need to know how to get Gixen to recognize my current eBay password...
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just log in with your current password... which must be exactly the same as you use to log in to Ebay, otherwise Gixen will not be able to snipe for you.

The only separate storage of your actual password on the Gixen side is in the snipes that you set up.
talkingwires

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I set up the group snipe, I DID log in with my current eBay password. I didn't change it once the group was setup, either ...the snipe simply failed.

If Gixen set up the snipes using an old password (and it would have been months old), there was no indication of that. There was no error message - no hint of a problem of any kind.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a major issue if it were possible for Gixen to use a password that was not the one you used to log in with, and you seem to be the only one with an issue like this, at this time.

I am not saying it is impossible (I have learnt not to say that too often), but I do know the Gixen software is designed only ever to store and use the same password on the snipes as you used to log in, not anything that was used in the past.

I'm just going on what Mario said above... Your credentials were refused by Ebay when the Gixen software tried to log in to place the bid for you.

That would not necessarily be detected until the point that the bid was due to be placed, at the end of the auction. Then all snipes with those credentials are cancelled to prevent any further attempts by the Gixen servers from using those invalid credentials, for the good of all users, since that can cause Ebay to take action against the Gixen server making it not work for all accounts.

Gixen does not check back with Ebay that your credentials are correct, when you log in to Gixen, until you provide different ones... normal operation is to check against a one way hash of your password that it matches what was put in the last time you logged in, that is all, then if that test is passed it carries on and allows you to access and set up snipes using that Ebay password/user-name combination... This is in order to avoid too many checks being made against Ebay without any bids being submitted on your account.. which could lead to Ebay taking action specifically against your account when they detect you are logging in from a location (the Gixen server) that is not your usual home location.

So, for whatever reason it appears Ebay is not accepting the values that you put in when logging in to Gixen.

My suggestion, at this point, would be to change your Ebay password again.. making sure that you choose one that has no special characters, because that has caused problems in the past, and could actually be the root cause of the issue you have experienced recently... then wait at least 24 hours before trying to log into Gixen again (because changing your password and then immediately logging in from another location, even with the correct credentials, can also cause Ebay to take action against your account)... and then only after you have logged into Gixen again with that new password should you attempt to schedule any more snipes.
talkingwires

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
...change your Ebay password again.. making sure that you choose one that has no special characters, because that has caused problems in the past, and could actually be the root cause of the issue you have experienced recently...

It sounds like this could be the issue. I normally use special characters in most of my passwords for best security. Although this is desirable for eBay, I had no idea that it would cause problems with Gixen.

I humbly suggest that a warning of some sort be added to the Gixen FAQ Wink

...Thanks for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.