eBay username
eBay Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.
Forum is available in English only.

SearchSearch     

Gixen Desktop Manager now available to free users

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Gixen Desktop Manager now available to free users Reply with quote

Gixen Desktop Manager is now available to free users as well.

It has the same limitations for free users as the web UI:
- Only main server used
- Snipe offset limited to 6 seconds
etc,

And there is a single nagging "subscribe" screen when you sign in, however it's not annoying, and it will not show up while you use the application, only once when you sign in.

You can download it from

http://www.gixen.com/gdm/GixenDesktopManager.zip

Couple of notes:

1) Gixen Desktop Manager is free.
2) Gixen Desktop Manager runs on Windows only. I tested it on Windows XP only, but expect it to work on Vista & 7. If you use Vista or Windows 7, please let me know if it works on your system.
3) It's using Gixen API, hence the communication is completely secure (SSL).
4) One real advantage of Gixen Desktop Manager over web interface is that item price updates are done more often, as it doesn't require Gixen servers to do that. You can control the frequency.

There is nothing unsafe or malicious in the software, I made it and compiled it myself.

Please try it and post the feedback here.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Gixen Desktop Manager now available to free users

liammapson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: works perfectly on windows 7 as well Reply with quote

Desktop version works like a champ on Windows 7! Thanks!
nara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Gixen Desktop Reply with quote

Hi,
I've just downloaded and installed it, but when i try to login i receive this error msg immediately when hitting 'ok'. I am on Win7.

"Socket error #10060. Connection timed out".

Any ideas?

Regards,
N
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Gixen Desktop Reply with quote

nara wrote:

I have no idea what might be causing this... I would try deleting ssl dlls from Gixen Desktop Manager directory (three files or so), and installing OpenSSL for Windows from scratch. That might resolve the issue.
hilary6128

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Desktop Manager Reply with quote

I've just downloaded and installed Desktop Manager on Windows 7. It appears to work fine, and immediately updated with two pending bids. However, I can only get it to work by re-installing from .zip file each time I wish to use it. I would have expected it to either leave a shortcut on desktop, or to find it in the program file list. Am I doing something wrong?
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't install anything into your registry, onto the menus or on to the desktop.

It should only be necessary to extract it all from the zip file once though... when you have it in a directory on your computer you just double click on the .exe file in Windows Explorer to run it.

You can, of course, set up your own shortcut, in Windows Explorer just right click on the .exe file and select 'Create Shortcut'... the file that is created can then be dragged and dropped onto your desktop if you like.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I forgot to mention... There is no installer, that's the executable that you run each time. You can create shortcuts, of course. I may make an installer in the future just for users not to get confused, as everyone is used to it.
tigting

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: GDM in Windows 7 Reply with quote

Hi Mario--
I just cranked up a new laptop which has a Windows 7 OS. As I downloaded Keith's Greasemonkey script for Autosnipe, I noticed that you had generously supplied the GDM to nonsubscribers. I have missed the GDM since I let my mirror subscription lapse, so I am glad to have it back. So far, the GDM looks good on Windows 7.

I've said it before, but thanks for all you do. You are awesome and are overly-generous. I know that it will all come back to you.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you tigting, I am really glad to hear that.
Mightyfoot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Works Ok Reply with quote

Hi Mario,
just to let you know that i have installed Gixen on to Windows 7 Ultimate and its chugging like a Dream, just sitting back now and waiting for the won items, thanks so much for a great product Mario.
unknownsoldierx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I enlarge the window to try and get a better view of the list it just adds useless space. Other than that, the app works great.

I tried posting a screenshot, but I got the message "The word h-t-t-p is on our list of spam related words. Please refrain from posting this word." I don't see why "h-t-t-p" should be filtered.

Added the hyphens so I could post
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unknownsoldierx,

That sequence is not permitted in order to avoid Spam being posted on this forum, unfortunately it happened frequently when it was allowed.

If you have a link to your image you can let us know without using the h-t-t-p or the w-w-w, or just disguise them as you did in your last post, we will know what you mean.

That said, I do know what you mean about the space not being used efficiently when the window of the GDM is expanded... it has been commented on before.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unknownsoldierx,

The size of the initial window is kept small for users with small screen resolutions. But it will probably have to expand a bit as I add more functionality.

The next thing will probably be settings - right now one can change them only through web UI, but not through the GDM.
John_NOT_Doe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Gixen Desktop Manager now available to free users Reply with quote

mario wrote:
Gixen Desktop Manager runs on Windows only. I tested it on Windows XP only, but expect it to work on Vista & 7. If you use Vista or Windows 7, please let me know if it works on your system.

First of all Mario, thank you for the site and the app. I just wanted to let you know that Gixen Desktop Manager runs great via Wine (WineBottler) in Mac OS X Snow Leopard. The only problems are that the tif file doesn't show in the app anywhere and that it gives an "Invalid image" error twice on startup. It doesn't negatively affect the functionality of the app at all. Let me know if you want me to test it further. Thanks again! Very Happy
kalifab86

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Gixen Desktop Manager Reply with quote

I also had this Error:
Quote:

and it could be solved as you described by manually installing openssl.

Now I wonder why I can't set the Gixen Mirror settings. On gixen.com my mirror subscription is recognised, but appearently not in the Desktop Manager. What can I do?
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is kalifab86 the eBay id that you have registered with a Mirror subscription?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it is Smile thanks for the immediate reply! It would also be nice if you could view comments in Desktop Manager
kalifab86

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, last "Guest" was me. Of course I can view and edit comments in the edit window, but I cannot edit the "Mirror offset" and the "Status (Mirror)"-column says N/A. I'ld like a "comments"-column and I would suggest to find another place for "Status (Main)" and "Status (Mirror)", as I guess it never changes for different Items.
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The status changes when the auction ends to let you know the outcome of the snipe.

Mario will have to check the status of your account with respect to the GDM... but first I should have checked that your snipes are not Grouped?... Group snipes are not copied to the Mirror so N/A is appropriate as a status on the Mirror for those.

Last edited by Cupid on Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok, so everything's fine (They are grouped) Smile sorry.

thanks a lot for this great service!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Nice work on the Gixen Desktop Manager. Just to let you know that it appears to be working fine, if a little clunky (invalid picture showing up when starting) under wine for Linux. Is there any chance of a native support for a Linux client?

I'm not very good with computers so I'm not sure how easy or hard that is.

Great work with the site and the GDM.
kalifab86

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Gixen Desktop Manager Reply with quote

Here's another suggestion: I am not very happy with the way login-data is saved and "encrypted". I am not at all an expert in software engineering or it security, but if one look in the gixen.ini-file shows me a login to ebay (which can be used to financially break someone in no time) i am a little creeped out. Maybe storing login-information shouldn't be allowed in desktop manager, or there should be another encryption-algorithm than cesar+1... It's difficult of course as you can't simply use hashes, so maybe saving the password shouldn't be allowd at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought for you, if you don't like it, don't save it? It's not saved in clear text.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally to above, if you would like to saved but encrypted, there are many free encryption methods out there for you to employ your own security. A quick Google with show them. If you use these to encrypt the .ini file, then you can decrypt it when you would like it to be used.

Additionally, eBay alone cannot 'break' someone financially, as far as I can think of. You need the Paypal password too, which isn't stored anywhere.
kalifab86

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Guest,

It's not about me, as I found out and will avoid saving the login (although I'ld like to save the username w/o the password). I know how to encrypt files and everything, but imho this really is a security issue that you shouldn't expose your users to.

Then again, it only was a suggestion, I love and use gixen and don't really care what happens to other users.
kalifab86

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, if break was not the right expression for native english speakers, it's been a while since I learned this language at school and I don't remember evereything. I also didn't learn everything of course. In this country I live in, when you win an auction, you have to buy the product. Also it's your fault if you didn't secure your computer enough. So if I tomorrow find out, that I bought products for like 1000EUR, I personally would be ruined. Of course it's unlikely and there wouldn't be any benefit for the attacker (as long as he/she doesn't know and hate me), but it still is a problem imho.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ini file is stored on your computer, it really isn't a security issue unless you allow others to access your computer.

With respect to encryption, as you have already implied, it would have to be two way encryption because the software must be able to use it again in order to access your Gixen account, without asking you to enter it again... such encryption is always going to be much easier to break, when you have access to the stored value, than any that uses one way encryption, asks you to enter your password and checks against the one way encrypted value, that type of implementation would be pointless for this use as it would require you to enter your password every time you used the tool anyway which is the point of allowing you to save it.

Last edited by Cupid on Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
unknownsoldierx,

The size of the initial window is kept small for users with small screen resolutions. But it will probably have to expand a bit as I add more functionality.

I think what people are commenting on is that when they choose to expand the window the space is not used efficiently, really the top area should be a fixed height and not expand with the window vertically because it is just wasting the space that is allocated to it when they do, it doesn't need more space but the snipes area might if they have many snipes.

I think this should be possible for you to change by changing properties of the areas when they are created by the application.

Last edited by Cupid on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I understood that, it's what I meant with "you can't use hashes".

Ah never mind, I am very happy with gixen and maybe I am paranoid or something^^ as long as ssl is used for communication it's still safer than many other methods, maybe it's safer than typing in login information in the browser.

Have a good time and keep up the good work.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Yes I understood that, it's what I meant with "you can't use hashes".

Ah never mind, I am very happy with gixen and maybe I am paranoid or something^^ as long as ssl is used for communication it's still safer than many other methods, maybe it's safer than typing in login information in the browser.

Have a good time and keep up the good work.

Yes, I modified my post after you first read it to acknowledge that you had already implied that two way encryption was required.

Yes, it uses ssl for all communication over the internet with the Gixen server so in that respect there are no issues at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalifab86 wrote:
Sorry, if break was not the right expression for native english speakers

It's fine, you certainly got your point across, I knew what you meant. When my partner got hacked on eBay, luckily we never use the same password twice, it appeared she had committed to buying many items including thousands of pounds worth of technology. eBay didn't attempt to force you to buy in this situation.

Whether that puts your mind at ease is a different matter, but I certainly won't buy something that I haven't actually bought on eBay. I also strongly advise that you keep Paypal and eBay passwords different, if you don't already. I also am paranoid when it comes to security, which is why the whole hard drive is encrypted, hence pushing the ground of encryption. I personally don't see any real security risk unless it's a shared computer, as mentioned above.

I apologise if I came across aggressively in my previous post. I will stop posting here now too, since this is for announcements and things relating to it.
runben

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: socket error Reply with quote

I believe I'm getting the socket error because I need to configure my web ht tp/ht tps proxy servers.

I don't see a way to configure the proxy. Is there a config or ini file I can edit/add to set my proxy?
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runben,

Since it uses https not http proxy settings are not applicable.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
yes it is Smile thanks for the immediate reply! It would also be nice if you could view comments in Desktop Manager

You can - however you have to enable them through web UI, on the Gixen settings page. GDM supports comments.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

Nice work on the Gixen Desktop Manager. Just to let you know that it appears to be working fine, if a little clunky (invalid picture showing up when starting) under wine for Linux. Is there any chance of a native support for a Linux client?

Probably not. The percentage of users who use Linux as a desktop is so small that I can't justify the effort.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Gixen Desktop Manager Reply with quote

kalifab86 wrote:
Here's another suggestion: I am not very happy with the way login-data is saved and "encrypted". I am not at all an expert in software engineering or it security, but if one look in the gixen.ini-file shows me a login to ebay (which can be used to financially break someone in no time) i am a little creeped out. Maybe storing login-information shouldn't be allowed in desktop manager, or there should be another encryption-algorithm than cesar+1... It's difficult of course as you can't simply use hashes, so maybe saving the password shouldn't be allowd at all.

I'll see what I can do in the next release. What GDM has now is not really encryption, just obfuscation. But as you noted at the end - the encryption will always be a reversible one.
unknownsoldierx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the the extra space I was talking about.

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/gixen.jpg

Instead of expanding the list, it just adds all the useless grey space.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unknownsoldierx wrote:
Here is the the extra space I was talking about.

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/gixen.jpg

Instead of expanding the list, it just adds all the useless grey space.

Ah, that's a bug, and it looks ugly. I'll fix this over the weekend, and issue a new release. Thank you for reporting this.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unknownsoldierx, this is fixed now, and version 1.2.2 is released. You can download it using the same link in the first post above.
unkakev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Query Reply with quote

New user here, i have migrated from another online sniper - it works well but is getting EXPENSIVE! Previous to that years with XXXXXentry. I am a big sniper and loving it Twisted Evil
Is there a way to add the Desktop Manager to a right click menu or have i missed something?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right click menu of what exactly?
unkakev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, running / starting the exe from the right click context menu.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me ask again - when you right click on what exactly?
unkakev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he he .. thanks for your quick reply. Can the GDM be started any other way than using a desktop shortcut or Start menu .. for example browsing ebay pages - found something .. better get a snipe ready... ok, right click desktop manager starts .. Is possible?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not provided, you can always create a desktop or start menu shortcut - as with any other Window application, that's easy enough.

As for browsing ebay - no, however you can use browser add-ons instead. Search for "autosnipe" and you will find it. They launch a pop-up window though, not GDM.
unkakev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep done a desktop shortcut, no thoughts of a Firefox extension? Embarassed
As i said a brand new user and just settling in Smile
I think a registry tweak would do it but loath to mess around in there too much.
Thanks.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a firefox extension, that's what I meant when I said "browser add-on".

See http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/8780
You need to install greasemonkey Firefox add-on first.
XJ_Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Desktop manager Reply with quote

hello mario,

thank you very much for this awesome sniper. I found gixen last month, tested and immediately purchased mirror version. It is AWESOME.

I have not had much time to read all entries here in the forum but, i have browsed and had some idea. I had some issues to report, some are already solved though.

1) I agree with an user about encryption of .ini file. You may simply improve your encription and may add some extra meaningless noise into that file. The ini file is consists of only bytes used, you may fill it up with lots of byets after improving further Smile. If you create new encryption with new realease !!! Do not forget to overwrite current version of ini file (there is no ini file by default, i know). Some users may copy the the files from zip so old version of ini would be current which may cause unsuccesfull snipe for the first time use.

2) Thank you solved ugly apperance of maximized desktop manager.

3) Can you add purge button to desktop manager, it takes so long time to remove items individually.

4) Can we determine another bid amount for mirror? I know it may demand database change and perhabs against the sniping idea. But I use 6s for main and 3 seconds for mirror, i have been thinking the mirror may be a little bit higher bid for the items not to be outbidded.

5) Is there anything to improve the the speed of fetching data for manager?

6) Cant you make all site requesting secure h t t p s, which lead people to feel safer.

Thank you very much. Gixen is already perfect but these are some of my ideas.

Best Regards
XJ
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Encryption will definitely be improved. It will always be possible to break it, however, as GDM needs to decrypt it though.
3) Yes, I'll see that I do that in the next release.
4) If you think better about it, this really serves no purpose. You gain nothing at all by having different amounts for main and mirror.
5) I don't think so - the protocol is already as lean as possible. There is very little overhead.
6) GDM is already using ssl for all requests to Gixen. As for web interface, my opinion is that all that's needed to protect is user passwords, so the login is SSL protected, until session id is generated. From that point on it's regular http. I can't make it 100% SSL as I can't display ads. I may, however, make it 100% SSL for mirror subscribers as they don't see ads anyway.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just released version 1.2.3 (same download link)

1) Encryption is improved, at least obfuscation is much better now. As mentioned earlier, any two-way encryption can be deciphered, but it's just not so obvious how now.
2) Added "Purge Completed Auctions" command now, in "Tools" menu.
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Could Not Load SSL Library Reply with quote

i just download the desktop manager to my pc (win xp), but i'm keep getting a error indicating "Could Not Load SSL Library". Anybody know the solution to this error message??
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

Have you extracted all the files in the zip file to a new directory before you try running the executable?
Nick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Mark:
yeah! i did extract the zip file to a same folder under the desktop and even under C drive, it didn't seem to make any difference
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case I think Mario usually suggests installing Open SSL independantly on your computer... First delete all the provided dlls from the directory where Gixen Desktop Manager is located then if you Google 'Open SSL' you should find an installation appropriate to your machine.

It is those libraries that are in the zip file but for some reason, on your computer, the executable is not able to find or use them when you try to run it.
Nedman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: works perfectly on windows 7 as well Reply with quote

liammapson wrote:

Concur, no problems with my Win 7 install.
BrucePurcell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gixen Desktop Reply with quote

I have Win 7 and received the same error message. I installed Open SSL and still received the error message. Running the program in compatibility mode for XP fixed the problem for me.

Nice programs -- both Gixen and its Desktop Manager.

mario wrote:
nara wrote:

I have no idea what might be causing this... I would try deleting ssl dlls from Gixen Desktop Manager directory (three files or so), and installing OpenSSL for Windows from scratch. That might resolve the issue.
letsrock2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Forgets login info Reply with quote

Greetings,

The last version ran great on my 32 bit Win 7. I updated for the purge function to save time. Now it will not remember my login info even with the box checked. Any ideas? Thanks
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Write permissions on the folder where GDM is located? GDM creates gixen.ini file that stores this info.
rjsdavis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: works perfectly on windows 7 as well Reply with quote

Nedman wrote:
liammapson wrote:

Concur also! Just downloaded and installed - it executed first time, and appears to be running fine.....

All of the auction info is counting down in realtime, which is marvellous. Will trying adding it into my startup folder to see if it will startup on boot!
rjsdavis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: works perfectly on windows 7 as well Reply with quote

rjsdavis wrote:
Nedman wrote:
liammapson wrote:

Concur also! Just downloaded and installed - it executed first time, and appears to be running fine.....

All of the auction info is counting down in realtime, which is marvellous. Will trying adding it into my startup folder to see if it will startup on boot!

Spoke too soon.....

Just tried to load it today, and got the message, that the software was obsolete and to upgrade to GDM v1.25 or newer! Just checked the website, and no mention of any newer software, or any upgrade/update option from within the software....

Sad
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be your browser cache.

Use http://www.gixen.com/gdm/GixenDesktopManager-1.2.5.zip

instead.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now it asks for version 1.2.7 or newer, where is it?
It would be nice if you had a pointer to the most up to date version someplace on your home page and we didn't have to hunt for the latest version.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same download link as before.

There is - at the bottom of the home page, you can see the link that takes you to the download.

Bungle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Issues with 1.3.1 Reply with quote

Hi

Downloaded the latest version (1.3.1) as previous version 1.1 out of date. Am now getting two issues ...

1. When trying to load it returns the Error "Could not get user country, using default"

I have checked my settings and they are all set to United Kingdom (my Current country setting and also my main and mirror target sites).

2. When Gixen browser opens I get Error "Could not get item list, API returned" after it runs the Fetching snipers from Gixen main message in the status footer. None of my recent or proposed snipes are shown and I cannot add new items.

I am a Mirror subscriber and the web version works fine. Very pleased with Gixen, hope this can be sorted.

Thanks
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bungle, I need your ebay username to investigate. Email me if you don't want to post it here.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bungle,

If you type your id or password incorrectly and save the settings that is the result, you can change the values from the Settings menu on the top left... It might be worth checking those.
Bungle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Fixed Reply with quote

Thanks Cupid that was it.... username and password corrupted during the upgrade. All working now.

Thanks for the prompt response Mario. Keep up the good work !
moochoo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: woot this is nice Reply with quote

it seems to work

for the security-minded, have a truecrypt partition going and run it from there.
frequentqer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Subscribing for another year Reply with quote

Its time to renew my subscription but I cant find how to do it!
The email says:
- if you wish to extend your subscription you have to log in to Gixen and complete a PayPal payment by clicking on the appropriate link at the bottom of your home screen.

But there isnt one !

?????
I'd be delighted to pay for this service.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frequentqer,

Just login to Gixen - renewal link is at the bottom of the page.
ahmgixenahm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

Just tried the GDM (under XP SP3), it looks good, but I note an earlier discussion inthis thread about GDM not showing comments unless comments are enabed in the Gixen web UI. Er, I have comments enabled there, but GDM isn't showing them to me. Anything else I need to try?

tia Andy
ahmgixenahm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahmgixenahm wrote:
Hi all.

Just tried the GDM (under XP SP3), it looks good, but I note an earlier discussion inthis thread about GDM not showing comments unless comments are enabed in the Gixen web UI. Er, I have comments enabled there, but GDM isn't showing them to me. Anything else I need to try?

tia Andy
Ah, I just read in the earlier thread that you get the comments as a pop-up when you click an item.

cheers Andy
skysentinel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Socket Error #10060 Reply with quote

I'm running Windows 7, and I get "Socket Error #10060" and no connection. I tried deleting all related files and unzipped the compressed file, then tried it again with the same result.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try installing openssl for windows from scratch. Google for it and you will find a suitable distribution. That may resolve the issue.
skysentinel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Socket Error #10060 Reply with quote

skysentinel wrote:
I'm running Windows 7, and I get "Socket Error #10060" and no connection. I tried deleting all related files and unzipped the compressed file, then tried it again with the same result.

Never mind. I didn't know that I didn't have the latest software version. I downloaded the new file, and it works fine.
Tim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gixen desktop manager is brilliant!
Any chance of it being adapted to a Win7/Vista sidebar gardget?
FoeBrnr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Socket error issue Reply with quote

Those socket errors may be caused by the AV software. It seems that Dixen is sending a reply but not receiving it because of a blocked port. Anyone with this issue care to test by disabling their firewall/AV?

In some cases, like mine (Symantec endpoint protection 11), even if the AV/firewall is disabled, it is not completely disabled.
SheSystems

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Multi Accounts Reply with quote

I have two ebay accounts, does this mean to use this program I have to pay for it twice to be able to set up snipes on both accounts ?
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirror subscription is on a per eBay account basis, if you want Mirror services on both accounts you will need to pay for them both.

You can, of course, use the free service on one account and only have Mirror on one of them, if you wish.
SheSystems

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Multi Accounts Reply with quote

It's more the snipe off set I want on both accounts than the mirror... but... apart from that.. paid for one account..... brilliant... running Win7 and found no errors or faults at all Very Happy
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, currently, offset setting is a Mirror only service.

Good luck with your sniping.
memoriestreasured

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: to download Gixen desktop, need to buy WinRAR licence? Reply with quote

I tried to download the desktop, but I got a message that I need to buy a WinRAR or RAR licence. Otherwise I can use it for only 40 days, by which time I will have to delete it or purchase. So what is that and how much does it cost? Sad Question Shocked
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, GDM is zipped using 7-zip, which is completely free. Not sure what made you install winrar instad. Download 7-zip and forget about winrar.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need WinRAR or RAR, that is a tool to un-package zip files.

Any currently supported Windows system will allow you to un-package the zip file using Windows Explorer.
User001

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Got an error today. Reply with quote

Socket Error # 10060
Connection Timed Out

Worked fine yesterday. Error today.

I had issues with a solid state drive and installed a few updated drivers today. Just noticed this wasn't working anymore.

downloaded newest version, same error.

Drives updated were:
Video Card
SSD firmware
BIOS

Other than that nothing changed system-wise
Ozz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got "connection timed out" ran in XP compatibility mode and it works now.
USER001

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: It's working again? Reply with quote

Error is gone 5 minutes later.

Software starts up but seems to slow and isn't upda ting or responding at all really.

Other end server problem?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, what happens is that I had to run some update processes that slow down servers.

Unfortunately, users have a habit of repeatedly hitting "refresh" when things get slow, making the slowness much worse. This is why I had to disable access for 10 minutes or so until things cool down.
Pakus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is so sloow to add each item.
But thanks
gnorthwoods

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: where the heck do you download the desktop manager?!? Reply with quote

OMFG! where the heck do you download the desktop manager?!? please?
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Gixen Desktop Manager now available to free users Reply with quote

mario wrote:
Gixen Desktop Manager is now available to free users as well.

It has the same limitations for free users as the web UI:
- Only main server used
- Snipe offset limited to 6 seconds
etc,

And there is a single nagging "subscribe" screen when you sign in, however it's not annoying, and it will not show up while you use the application, only once when you sign in.

You can download it from

Couple of notes:

2) Gixen Desktop Manager runs on Windows only. I tested it on Windows XP only, but expect it to work on Vista & 7. If you use Vista or Windows 7, please let me know if it works on your system.
3) It's using Gixen API, hence the communication is completely secure (SSL).
4) One real advantage of Gixen Desktop Manager over web interface is that item price updates are done more often, as it doesn't require Gixen servers to do that. You can control the frequency.

There is nothing unsafe or malicious in the software, I made it and compiled it myself.

dawns_place

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Desktop feature Reply with quote

I cannot get the desktop to work with VISTA. I click on the Save and Open option, and my WinZip wants to open a file . . .except there isn't a file on my desktop to open. Any suggestions?
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest that you save the file on your computer and then extract the files from it as a separate step, you don't need WinZip to extract the files you can do it in Windows Explorer with it's own tools.
gixenhappyuser

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: error 101 Reply with quote

Hello, i use gixen with mirror service but i'm not able to use the gixen desktop.
i've download the last release, put username and password but i've got error 101 , could not log in (2 times).
trought the web interface is all ok.

the username have the "-" char , i've also tried the password with a simple but not luck.

Thanks to all
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: error 101 Reply with quote

gixenhappyuser wrote:
tried the password with a simple

I don't understand that statement, can you explain in more detail?
gixenhappyuser

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my password is complex so i think is this that make not work the program.
i tried with a simple password (as can be 12345 or qwerty) without simbol or other "not standard" char but it still not working
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please email me and include your username.
halfweb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version are you up to. I have version 1.3.3
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfweb wrote:
What version are you up to. I have version 1.3.3

That is the latest version.
Godzilla

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mario,

Would you mind to publish the latest version number on your site?
That will anticipate the further questions.
jolypat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: "Socket error #10060. Connection timed out". Reply with quote

I too have had this message, the desk top has been performing great for the last few days since I started using it but now I keep getting the above message. I have read your forum answer but not be a computer geek I am not too sure to what you are exactly asking to be done. I have tried delteing the SSL and DLL files but the whole thing will then not work! I am not sure about the Windows SSL file to which you refer. Sorry if this is a simple thing to you but as I said I am not into these types of files and I would like to get my Desktop working again. Just to confirm I have delted the whole lot and then re installed from scratch but sitll with the same problem. Many thanks....
drp2thehill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Gixen Desktop Reply with quote

Why doesn't the highest bid display in the desktop manager?
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gixen Desktop Reply with quote

drp2thehill wrote:
Why doesn't the highest bid display in the desktop manager?

Do you mean the current auction price, termed the High Bid in the Desktop Manager?... It is supposed to display this and to update it reasonably regularly, it is possible to tailor this to your requirements using the Settings->Preferences Menu option.

If it is not acting like this on your machine can you explain in more detail what is happening?
IvanKrac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Error 360 when receiving prices Reply with quote

Hi, today I started to receive error 360 when reaching prices for bids. What is wrong. I did not install any new program, nothing I did new to my system. Yesterday everything worked fine.

I'm using free version of desktop program.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give me an item id for which this happens?
Mustash7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Previously unreported error Reply with quote

Hi Mario,
Thanks for making GDM available for everyone!
I installed the (I think) latest version.
I'm getting the error message:
"Could not get item list ApI returned Error (111) Non Subscribed.

I went through the whole uninstall, reinstall, clearing of cache etc.

OS Win7
IE9
Web interface working fine.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mustash7,

I think, first check that you have the correct username and password set in the GDM.

Is Mustash7 your username?
mustash7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Usernm Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
Mustash7,

I think, first check that you have the correct username and password set in the GDM.

Is Mustash7 your username?

No is isn't usernm is mustash. Checked that & pwd Cupid.
It was OK
Now the GDM says fetching files and just hangs.
mustash7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Gixen came alive..Huh? Reply with quote

I tried a purge even though there was nothing there. GDM suddinly started working.
Coincidence???

GDM is HUGE on by screen. I have a 24" LCD. A whole lotta real estate is devoted to GDM. Any workaround?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't changed a version of GDM? The problem you described looks like an outdated version of GDM.
Mustash7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Back to square 10 Reply with quote

Mario,
I'm using 1.3.3.
I got it to work once and then it stopped again
I'm getting "Can't find country, using default"
Then I'm getting "can't logon AOI error 101"
Ratz!

Didn't install grease monkey. It seemed that some Gixen app in the past required that.
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need grease monkey (never did) for the GDM, that is only required for the plug-ins that give you snipe options directly on the eBay pages.

I'm using 1.3.3 at present without issues.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have no issues, so I am wondering what the problem really is. Maybe it's a location issue, or these users are sitting behind some firewalls that do weird things.
mustash7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: The continuing saga Reply with quote

I have had problems in the past resulting in a protracted dialogue on this forum. Then GDM worked flawlessly for a year or so. Had a couple of HD failures and other assorted problems. Now I'm getting very different errors. First I get a "Could not get Country using default" requiring user input. Then I get a 101 Could not log on error.
Just for the heck of it I'm going to try installing it in another directory.
It seems like last time I didn't even have it on the system drive. Now I do. I can't imagine that it would have any bearing but who knows.
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some issues caused by my ISP yesterday (they acknowledge it on their website) that meant I could not access eBay and some other sites while others were working (if rather slow)...

I wonder whether connectivity issues are more widespread than I had imagined, this is not the first time that I have experienced them myself.

It's an(other) advantage of a sniping service like Gixen over dedicated software running locally.... but it is a hindrance to users of the Gixen Desk Top.
imaeyeguy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Bids listing as cancelled, then Scheduled Reply with quote

The status changes from cancelled to scheduled and back, sometimes causing a non-bid when time expires. What is the root cause and is there anything that can be done to rectify?
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bids listing as cancelled, then Scheduled Reply with quote

imaeyeguy wrote:
The status changes from cancelled to scheduled and back, sometimes causing a non-bid when time expires. What is the root cause and is there anything that can be done to rectify?

Are your snipes changing status before the end without any action from you, or are you making changes to them?

Late changes (the last few minutes before the auction completes) to snipes can mess things up.
imaeyeguy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Cancelled bids Reply with quote

Operator error.

I thought Groupings were for categorizing different bids, so all other items in the grouping were cancelled when I won one of the items in the group.

Going with default of no groups has resolved that problem. Thanks.
Oren

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: GDM Reply with quote

Do I have to keep GDM running for the snipe to work?

Or once I add something in the GDM it links to the website and store it there
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: GDM Reply with quote

Oren wrote:
Do I have to keep GDM running for the snipe to work?

No, snipes are handled by the Gixen server(s).

Oren wrote:
Or once I add something in the GDM it links to the website and store it there

That is right.

Last edited by Cupid on Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Aqua

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Error 101 Reply with quote

Hi there, this is my first time using Gixen.

I set up a snipe with the web interface, then I tried to use the Desktop Manager. Upon trying to log in with it I get "Could not get item list, API returned: ERROR (101): COULD NOT LOG IN"

When I first started it up, I got another error, something like "Could not identify Country, default used". I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I am in Canada ftr.

Here's a screen of the error:

mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your username? You can email me if you don't want to post it here.
quazzar0_0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Gixen Desktop Reply with quote

nara wrote:
Hi,
I've just downloaded and installed it, but when i try to login i receive this error msg immediately when hitting 'ok'. I am on Win7.

Any ideas?

Regards,
N

Found that now works fine when you use Windows XP SP3 compatability mode
damptowel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Error 101 Reply with quote

Aqua wrote:
Hi there, this is my first time using Gixen.

I set up a snipe with the web interface, then I tried to use the Desktop Manager. Upon trying to log in with it I get "Could not get item list, API returned: ERROR (101): COULD NOT LOG IN"

When I first started it up, I got another error, something like "Could not identify Country, default used". I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I am in Canada ftr.

Here's a screen of the error:

I got that and tried re-downloading from the link in the first post. Looks like I was using v1.3.3 and GDM is now up to 1.3.5. Now works fine for me.
jennjamm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Working Great!! Reply with quote

Works amazing - love that I don't have to install it!!! Great one Mario, once again, thank you for being so generous!
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: SCAM Reply with quote

THEY STOLE MY EBAY ACCOUNT WHAT DA HECK!!!!
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: SCAM Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
THEY STOLE MY EBAY ACCOUNT WHAT DA HECK!!!!

Who stole your account, Bob?

Can you please explain what happened.

I can assure you if your account was stolen it was not anything to do with Gixen, what would Mario gain from using other peoples accounts?

Gixen would have far more to loose than gain if it were ever linked to hijacked eBay accounts.
sonic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: hello Reply with quote

can someone tell me how to set this program to bit 1 second before end of auction?
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: hello Reply with quote

sonic wrote:
can someone tell me how to set this program to bit 1 second before end of auction?

Three seconds before the end of the auction is the minimum that Gixen allows you to bid, and you need a Mirror subscription before it allows you to do that.

It is not recommended to set snipes at less than 6 seconds before the auction ends though.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, 3 seconds is fine as far as reliability is concerned. It works just as well as 6. But to repeat my opinion for the 57th time - there is zero benefit in it.
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we still have the warning that comes up when you select three second snipes, or have you removed that now?

Yes to agree, for the umpteenth time, there is no benefit below 6 seconds, in fact it is a positive disadvantage, and not because of reliability, but because of the first bid and bid increment rules on eBay.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the warning. It's disadvantageous to use 3-sec snipes somewhat, but only by a bid increment, so if users want a thrill of a 3-sec snipe, they can have it without a warning. Reliability seems to be about the same.
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems sensible to me.

To restate what I believe in further detail, successful sniping is not about being the last to bid, much more importantly it is about knowing the market that you are buying from. That includes most significantly knowing the value of the items that you take an interest in buying and the factors that affect that value like the amount of supply and also the reliability of the sellers that you choose to try to buy from.

Sniping tools such as Gixen are essential to the process but are not, in themselves, sufficient to make you successful in winning eBay auctions at the best prices.
brad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: gixen won't work Reply with quote

I can't enter any item number to snipe a auction!!
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of GDM are you using, and what item id are you trying to add?
bill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Gixen Desktop Manager now available to free users Reply with quote

mario wrote:
Couple of notes:

Gixen runs in CrossOver on a Mac (and Linux). I'm using CrossOver 9.1.0 (not the latest version). Here's how...

1. Uncompress the ZIP file. On a Mac, a folder with the same name as the ZIP file is created.
2. In CrossOver, create a new winxp bottle. Name it "Gixen Desktop Manager."
3. Move the Gixen folder to the "c:\program files" folder of the new bottle.
4. In CrossOver, choose Programs / Run Command...
5. Choose the Gixen bottle and browse to the gixendesktopmanager.exe file.
6. Click on the "Save Command to Programs Menu" button for easy future access.
7. Click the "Run" button.

I just started using Gixen and haven't sniped any auctions, yet. It does communicate with the Gixen server. I accessed Gixen in a browser and saw all my items.

Using CrossOver (not free), Mac and Linux users can also enjoy using Gixen. Of course, you can also run Windows in a virtual machine on both platforms, but that's extra overhead compared to CrossOver.

I hope some of your users find this helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gixen Desktop Manager now available to free users Reply with quote

mario wrote:

Works great! Could you add option to move/remove columns and in different order and size?
Like "Group", that I do not use.
Also have them stay that way when you reload?

Thanks
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Gixen Desktop Manager now available to free users Reply with quote

bill wrote:

Gixen runs in CrossOver on a Mac (and Linux). I'm using CrossOver 9.1.0 (not the latest version). Here's how...

Thank you very much Bill, this is very interesting, I haven't used CrossOver yet, but I will definitely try it.
ati3414

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Cannot get Gixen to work anymore Reply with quote

I cannot log in anymore, I am getting the error message "Could not get user country, using default".
If I click ok, I get "Error 101"
I am using version 1.3.5
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using a new username, try logging in to the web interface first and see if that helps. Otherwise email me and include your username.
ati3414

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my username is "ati3414".
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried to log in to the web interface? Do you get any error?
ati3414

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I tried logging in through the web interface, it claims that the ebay id and the password don't match but that is false, the id and the password are correct. I do not know what to make of this.
ati3414

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know what is going on, Ebay , in their unlimited nuttiness, have added a "security code" that is produced by a random number generator, you need to acquire this "security code" interactively every time you sign in. Did you know about that?
ati3414

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

I know what is going on, I tried signing into the web interface , this time I appended the security code to my password and I was in!
The problem is that all my saved bids are lost, they have been wiped out.
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you change your id or password all snipes are lost, you need to enter them all again.

You need to disable the feature that means you have to append a security code to your password on eBay because that code will probably change before the bid is due to be placed by Gixen, and hence Gixen will be prevented from doing so.

That eBay feature is incompatible with automated sniping.

If you did not enable it, you probably just have to wait for it to go away before scheduling any more snipes.
ati3414

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

1. I managed to disable the goofy "security code"
2. Now the web interface works
3. The standalone program still gives the same errors, what can be done to fix it?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it still "Error 101"?
ati3414

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the errors are exactly the same as reported earlier. I even uninstalled and reinstalled version 1.3.5, no change. It might be two different problems.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This error is fixed easily by doing the following (windows 7):

Delete libssl32.dll

Download win32 OpenSSL from Shining Light from
http://slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html
and install it.. you don't have to donate

start GDM
NEWSPEEDRACER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Gixen Desktop Manager now available to free users Reply with quote

Please try it and post the feedback here.[/quote]

Works great!

Could you add option to move/remove columns and in different order and size?
Like "Group", that I do not use.
Also have them stay that way when you reload?

SECOND REQUEST PLEASE ANSWER YES or NO

Thanks
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Gixen Desktop Manager now available to free users Reply with quote

NEWSPEEDRACER wrote:

Could you add option to move/remove columns and in different order and size?

Maybe some time in the future, but not any time soon. This would require some significant work to achieve, as components used to build GDM do not provide an ability to set the size dynamically at startup by providing any parameters. Sorting would also be non-trivial task. At this point, I simply don't have time to invest in this, as the benefit is minor, and work involved to achieve it is major.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ati3414 wrote:
Yes, the errors are exactly the same as reported earlier. I even uninstalled and reinstalled version 1.3.5, no change. It might be two different problems.

Error 101 means that login failed. Are you sure you are using identical login information as when logging in to web, and that you don't have an old password memorized?
apd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: User country/Error 101 Reply with quote

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring with folks experiencing the following issue with GDM 1.3.5:

(1) I can successfully log into the gixen website.
(2) I tried logging in to GDM 1.3.5 with ebay info (yes, I'm positive the id and pw are correct and identical to what I use for the gixen website).
(3) I am met with an error window "Could not get user country, using default"
(4) I click OK and get another error window "ERROR (101): COULD NOT LOG IN"
(5) After clicking OK and "Fetching snipes from Gixen main...done", I get another error window "Could not get item list, API returned: ERROR (101): COULD NOT LOG IN"

For reference, I'm running GDM 1.3.5 on 64-bit Windows 7. Ebay id is 0322943. Thanks for any help solving this problem, and if not, then I'm glad to offer more data for future compatibility/capability. Laughing
ati3414

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
ati3414 wrote:

Error 101 means that login failed. Are you sure you are using identical login information as when logging in to web, and that you don't have an old password memorized?

Yes, I am sure, I am a fairly sophisticated user. Besides, the error that comes up first is the one about "couldn't find country...".
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ati3414 wrote:

Yes, I am sure, I am a fairly sophisticated user. Besides, the error that comes up first is the one about "couldn't find country...".

Please email me, I may need some additional information that shouldn't be shared in the forum.
andy111

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: ssl libary Reply with quote

myne always sayys ccant open ssl libary
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy111,

Make sure that you have extracted all the files to a directory on your computer and that you are running the GixenDesktopManager.exe file from that directory.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
ati3414 wrote:

Please email me, I may need some additional information that shouldn't be shared in the forum.

I vaguely remember once having to write an algorithm that cycled through the parameters and appended '&' to one of the values when it found a parameter that it did not recognise.
Andrei2j

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Error Reply with quote

When i hit ADD on main window,it gives me this :
Could not Add item,API returned.
any sugestion ?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you enter, what item id, and what price? Do you enter just the number, or something else (e.g. currency sign)?
Fallen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Gixen Desktop Reply with quote

nara wrote:
Hi,

Any ideas?

Regards,
N

Run this in compatibility mode for windows xp sp3 to resolve this problem
Elendil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: GDTM wont work Reply with quote

I am a mirror subscriber

I am running Vista

I get the error: Cannot load SSL Library

Read previous post about deleting dll's. I have no idea how to do it. I have downloaded ssl from the web. still get the error
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure dlls are present in the working directory you run GDM from. GDM obviously can't find the dlls.
Elendil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have re-downloaded it an installed it a half dozen times. No change
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will not help if nothing has changed. I assume you unpacked all the files to the directory on your computer? Right click on GixenDesktopManager.exe, and make sure the working directory is where the executable and dlls are located.
Elendil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I cannot view anything past the Gixen executable file. I have re-installed it another 3 times and there is no option for me to do that when I right click.

just forget it. keep the $6. It's not worth the 8 hours I have worked on this already.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elendil,

You have to unpack these files into a separate directory, there is no installation procedure. There is no requirement to have mirror subscription in order to use GDM in the first place, so if you erroneously purchased it and don't want it, email me and I will issue a refund.
kuanyin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: can't log in Reply with quote

First time using, and trying to get the desktop mgr which would be great. First it says it doesn't know the country and is using default. Then I get error 101 that I can't log in. I can log in from my browser, so I don't understand why the same password won't work.
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuanyin,

With problems submitting credentials it is best to email Mario at the support address on the 'Contact' tab above... that way you can discuss details that might otherwise compromise your security... you could mention your eBay id in that email, but do not include details of your password as emails are not a secure enough medium for that.
numismaticcoins

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Can't install desktop software Reply with quote

I downloaded zip file and tried to install. I got message "can't install SSL library"
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

numismaticcoins,

How are you extracting the files from the zip file?

I just use Windows Explorer, I right click in the .zip file and select 'Extract All...' from the menu.

Are you using some other tool to do this?
aura_2000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good afternoon.
I checked the program version 1.3.5 for WinXP, Win 7, Server 2008 - everything works.
Thank you.
dwadholm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: vista 32 bit Reply with quote

Works fine for me on Windows Vista 32 bit.
Argeldeggy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Gixen Issues with Windows 7 Reply with quote

I had Gixen on XP without any issues, now I have Gixen on Windows 7 and it continues to have issues.

-Once I log in it delays to load or does not load at all. (I have to end task in task manager and then reload Gixen)

-When I try to delete an Item it will not delete and then everything freezes up. (I have to end task in task manager and then reload Gixen) When I log back in I do notice the item is deleted though.

Any answers to the continued loading and non responsive issue?
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argeldeggy,

Have you tried setting up a short-cut for the application, and then setting the compatibility mode on that short-cut to XP?
argeldeggy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try that and let you know if that does the trick. Thanks for the advice..
argeldeggy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely fixed the loading, freezing and deleting items issue. The new issue is that now when I try to add an item I get an error message:

could not add item, API returned:ERROR (203): COULD NOT GET INFO FOR ITEM

However, if I continue to try to add the item it will eventually add to the que.

Any info on this issue?

Thanks
Argel
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argel,

I have not seen ERROR (203) reported here before, Mario may be able to be more specific about what it means.

As a guess perhaps it is having trouble accessing the eBay site for some reason... do you ever notice any issues with your connection to the internet, particularly accessing eBay from that computer?
argeldeggy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Sir, I have not had any connection issues connecting to ebay or any other sites. I have not been able to duplicate this issue since I last wrote. This may have resolved its self. I know this item that had the issue was not a buy it now item which would produce this type of error message

Thank you so much for resolving my main issue..
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error 203 is not a failure by GDM to fetch item info, it means Gixen server(s) failed to fetch info, so it's not a connectivity issue, at least not a connectivity issue on user's side. It likely means that there was some temporary issue, possibly on ebay's side. It happens from time to time. If this keeps happening on an ongoing basis, please let me know.
Waterboy8535

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Excellent piece of software Reply with quote

A guy at work told me about this and i've just used it for the first time and it worked and I won Cool

Installed perfectly in Windows 7 Pro 64bit
rahan1976

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I have also some problems at the connection:
(1) I can successfully log into the gixen website.
(2) I tried logging in to GDM 1.3.5 with ebay info
(3) I am met with an error window "Could not get user country, using default"
(4) I click OK and get another error window "ERROR (101): COULD NOT LOG IN"
(5) After clicking OK and "Fetching snipes from Gixen main...done", I get another error window "Could not get item list, API returned: ERROR (101): COULD NOT LOG IN"

For reference, I'm running GDM 1.3.5 on 32-bit Windows 7.
Thanks for any help solving this problem.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you log in to the web interface?

Please download the latest version, 1.3.6 and then try again. But try the web interface first.
rahan1976

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I tried with GDM 1.3.6 same problem as 1.3.5.
Eveything is ok via the web interface, but using GDM 1.3.6 i always got the following error messages:
(1) "Could not get user country, using default"
(2) "ERROR (101): COULD NOT LOG IN"
(3) After clicking OK and "Fetching snipes from Gixen main...done", I get another error window "Could not get item list, API returned: ERROR (101): COULD NOT LOG IN"

For reference, I'm running GDM 1.3.6 on 32-bit Windows 7.
Any Idea?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please email me and include your username. Make sure you can log in using the web interface first.
BlownAway

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: unbelievable FAIL!! :( Reply with quote

JUST lost a MUCH wanted item,261094481674, and I'm about to cry...

GDM 1.3.6 on 64bit Win7 (just started using this version TODAY!!! but have been a Gixenite for several years now...)

Snipe had been in for about 1 hour prior to close, opening bid 14.99GBP, 0 bids, snipe bid set at 16.16, around 4 minutes in I decided to bump up my bid, worried about other snipers... Clicked EDIT on that listing, said I had a little over 2 minutes to edit, I put in the new amount of 32.32 and hit update. I leave GDM to do it's thang, then I get an error dialog saying GDM couldn't add item (ERROR (203): COULD NOT GET INFO FOR ITEM)

All the life-force rushed out of my face... I get started trying to setup a manual bid and have right at two minutes left, while also logging into Gixen.com to try and add it that way. I ALSO try to add the item again via GDM, but alas it refuses it with the same error. I believe I tried again, then had to concentrate on manually bidding (I wasn't even logged in to eBay!) If I had had even 10 more seconds I could have bid manually, but alas, my precious has gone to another!!!

MAJOR BOO HOO
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlownAway,

My sympathies... 2 minutes is leaving it too late, in my humble opinion and you were unlikely to make a successful update that late no matter when the auction was scheduled to end.

The fact that this is Sunday evening just makes things worse in that respect, it is the busiest time for the whole internet, eBay and Gixen included... and things are most likely to be slow or fail at this time, especially if what you are doing is time critical.
rahan1976

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I tried with the new GDM 1.3.7 same problem as 1.3.6.
Eveything is ok via the web interface, but using GDM 1.3.7 i always got the following error messages:
(1) "Could not get user country, using default"
(2) "ERROR (101): COULD NOT LOG IN"
(3) After clicking OK and "Fetching snipes from Gixen main...done", I get another error window "Could not get item list, API returned: ERROR (101): COULD NOT LOG IN"

For reference, I'm running GDM 1.3.7 on 32-bit Windows 7.
Any Idea?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rahan1976,

I still haven't fixed the issue that prevents you from using GDM. Version 1.3.7 does not address it. I need more time for this.
nigel.packer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mario,

Sorry to add another problem, but I now have a hard error in GDM, in that I get "Error 360 ..." for every eBay item when refreshing prices.

This used to happen for me occasionally, and closing GDM and restarting it would cure the problem. Now it's a hard error and happens all the time - GDM can never refresh any prices from eBay. This is with GDM 1.3.7.

I don't know what the official explanation of an Error 360 is, but I suspect it's a timeout somewhere, and that GDM is maybe not waiting long enough for a response from somewhere. My broadband connection is not particularly fast (I'm out in the country, in England).

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit.

Nigel
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nigel.packer,

On this thread:

http://www.gixen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5510

Mario states 'that the currency symbol was not found'.

I am also having this error for all auctions in GBP but is fine for ones in USD, I suspect the eBay has rolled out changes to the .co.uk site that mean the GDM no longer recognises the pages.

This also seems to cause the GDM not to exit cleanly and it hangs about in the Task Manager until explicitly killed.
nigel.packer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Thanks, I hadn't seen that thread. I did report this to Mario quite a long time ago, but it was only an intermittent problem for me then.

Most of my eBay listings are in Euros on ebay.de - I wonder if this could be relevant? But it used to work most of the time!

Yes, I've also experienced GDM hanging about in Task Manager.

It must be a constant battle for Mario keeping up with eBay changes.

Nigel
senewrecker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Latest version Reply with quote

I keep getting an obsolete version warning when I try to launch the DM. It tells me to upgrade to GDM 1.3.6 0r newer. Where do I get this? I've downloaded from the links here but get the same error over and over. Thanks in advance.
bearly10_0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: outdated GDM alert received also Reply with quote

i am getting the same error as senewrecker who also posted today. i don't use GDM very often, but wanted senewrecker to know he isn't the only one getting this error.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You always download the latest Desktop manager from here:

If you are not getting a new version downloaded when you do that it probably means that your browser has cached it and you need to clear the cache in your browser before it recognises that it actually needs to go and get a new version for you.
bearly10_0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: GDM now working and updated Reply with quote

thanks, mark. GDM is now updated and working.
nigel.packer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely, GDM displays correctly for ended auctions (even though they are in Euros), but still gives the Error 360 for current auctions.

It's a shame, because it's such a useful feature of Gixen.

Nigel
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Mario will update it again soon Nigel... I agree that it must be a constant battle to keep up with the changes that eBay make on the various sites.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 1.3.8 seems to have resolved the 'error 360' issue.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XJ_Guest wrote:
hello mario,

4) Can we determine another bid amount for mirror? I know it may demand database change and perhabs against the sniping idea. But I use 6s for main and 3 seconds for mirror, i have been thinking the mirror may be a little bit higher bid for the items not to be outbidded.

mario wrote:

4) If you think better about it, this really serves no purpose. You gain nothing at all by having different amounts for main and mirror.

Strictly speaking, there can be some benefit to bidding one amount, and then bidding another slightly larger amount a short time later.

The benefit is small, and it takes a special set of circumstances to even work, but it could let you participate/win more auctions.

So, an example:

An item you want to bid on currently has a high bid of $4.40
The high bidder has a maximum bid set at $5.15, but of course, you don't know that.

You set one bid at 7 seconds before the auction close for $5.20
You set another bid at 3 seconds before the auction close for $5.40

1) If the bidding remains at $4.40 when your $5.20 bid is placed, your bid will be accepted at $5.20. Your later bid of $5.40 will be rejected because it is below the minimum bid increment for a current bid of $5.20. You will win the item for $5.20. In this case, both of your bids could have been for $5.20, and the results would have been the same. If both of your bids were for $5.40, you still would have won but you would have paid $5.40. So, in this case staggering the bid amounts and has given you the protection of mirrored bids, and has saved you some little bit of money compared to always bidding your highest acceptable bid amount.

2) If your first bid failed to post because of network problems, then your second bid of $5.40 will be accepted for $5.40 and you have still won the item, for the price of $5.40. In this case, it has worked against you (money wise), slightly, because if both of your bids were for $5.20 you will have won the item for $5.20.

3) But let's say that some time before your $5.20 bid is placed, another bidder bids $4.71. eBay proxy bidding increases the original high bidders bid from $4.40 to $4.96. Then at 7 seconds before auction close, your bid for $5.20 will be rejected because you failed to meet the minimum bid increment. Of course, another "mirrored" bid from you for $5.20 would also fail. But, at 3 seconds before the auction close your bid for $5.40 is posted. eBay proxy bidding increases the original high bidders bid from $4.96 to $5.15 (their max bid), and your bid would be increased to $5.40 (your max bid) (**). In this case staggering the bid amounts has given you the protection of mirrored bids, and the backup protection against being outbid. And, it has cost you basically nothing extra because your $5.20 bid was not high enough to win and your final price was only $0.20 higher than the next bidder and you are bidding in a price range where the bid increment is $0.50. Definitely not a bad win.

So given the three choices, of
a) Mirroring 2 lower bids at $5.20
b) Mirroring 2 bids, 1 at $5.20 and 1 at $5.40
c) Mirroring 2 bids at your highest acceptable amount $5.40

The 'a' choice would have caused you to lose one of the auctions. The 'b' and 'c' choices would have won the same auctions but the 'b' choice has saved some money.

Some finer points... the most you could save is something close to one bid increment. If your two bids are staggered by the amount of the bid increment (or more) then both bids will be accepted and considered and the effect will be exactly the same as if you bid the higher amount for both bids. In the cases that you win, your final price will be somewhere in between your two bid points so it is likely that you would save on average only half of the bid increment or less. And, in some (perhaps many) of these cases, your final bid will be below BOTH of your mirrored bids, so these wins/savings are not because of staggering your bid amounts. I would guess staggering your bid amounts could save you an average of as much as 20% of one bid increment.

So, it's looking like it could be a good tactic to stagger the bid amounts... but, there is (at least) one case where it will lose an auction for you...

4) With your bid amounts the same, and a case like (3) above. In this case, the high bidders max bid is $0.05 more... at $5.20 (the same as you lower bid), and the current high bid is $4.95. At 7 seconds before auction close, your bid for $5.20 will be accepted because you did meet the minimum bid increment. But since you have matched an earlier bid, the earlier bid stands and your bid is rejected. In this case, your low bid has triggered an increase in the bid price so now, your second bid is also rejected because it is below the minimum bid increment. You have lost the auction. Had you set both of your bids to the Higher amount ($5.40) you would have won.

The last thing to consider (I'm sure there are many more), since I have talked about a case where the first (lower) bid failed to post because of network problems, what if the first bid succeeds, and the second (higher) bid fails for the same reason. In a case like (3) above, it means you will lose the auction.

The main thing is though, once you have set your bids, it is out of your hands. Whether you win or lose, and at what price is COMPLETELY dependent on whether some other guy bids $0.05 more or $0.05 less (or whatever amount).

So all things considered... in my opinion:
(a) is out. low bidding just causes you to lose auctions with no benefit.

(b) is a little better. You will win more auctions than choice-a, and very nearly as many wins as choice-c, and you will save a little money over choice-c. It mostly depends on the price range you tend to bid in. If you are buying a lot of items less that $1.00, you might, on average save $0.01 per auction (20% of $0.05). For that little savings, it would be more important to win more of the auctions I want to win, rather than to save $1.00 on every 100 auctions I win. On the other hand, if you are bidding in the $1000.00 price range (I don't play there), it could be worth it to you.

(c) my choice. Bid the highest amount that you are comfortable bidding for the item, then let the other bidders and the proxy system determine who wins. Sometimes you will end up paying at or near your max bid amount, but many times it will be far less. If you mirror your bids (a great idea), bid the same amount from each mirror (***).

2 Final notes:
(**) It is clear you would win this one, I'm not sure of the final price (my head hurts thinking about it). You would either pay $5.21 ($4.96 + $0.25), or your max bid amount ($5.40).

(***) When I am testing bidding services, and I have 2 services mirrored against each other, it can be hard to even tell if they are both working. You don't know which service actually placed your bid. So, I sometimes set one to bid $0.01 more, and a few seconds earlier than the other. You still get the mirroring protection (if both services are working), and --- if the higher bid is consistently placed then the first service is working well. After a while, swap them. If the lower bid is consistently placed, then the first service is either bidding late or failing, and the second service is working well.

Kevin
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting post Kevin, that must have taken you a while. I agree with your conclusion, that ultimately staggering bid amounts does not lead to better outcomes.

It reminds me of this thread:

http://www.gixen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5871

and might be more appropriate if we are to continue this discussion to do it there.

As I intimate on the second post of that thread you also have to consider what happens when another bidder has a snipe scheduled at a slightly higher amount than your lower bid, at a later time but still before your backup bid... you also lose for less than your maximum.

For your (**) question the final auction price would be your maximum bid, eBay always calculates the final auction price as the second highest accepted bid plus up to one bid increment above that figure or the highest bidders maximum whichever is lower.
nigel.packer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
Version 1.3.8 seems to have resolved the 'error 360' issue.

Yes, seems to be working now!

Thanks very much for your help.

Nigel
pjzrsbp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Desktop Manager Reply with quote

Hi.......just trying to get onto the Desktop Manger and it keeps coming up with the same heading:

What do I do to get this working???

Cheers
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means that GDM failed parsing listing page fetched from ebay and extracting the current price from it.

Upgrade to the latest version (1.3.8 at the time I write this), unfortunately a new version needs to be released whenever ebay changes things. Use the same download link as before.
peauchamois

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Windows 7 installation Reply with quote

Hello

I am using Windows 7

First I have unzipped the GixenDesktopManager folder into Windows/Program.
The only problem is that the Username and PW are never memorized.

Then I moved GixenDesktopManager folder into My-documents, and now it work fine. And additional file gixen.ini has been created. I was not the case when it was into Windows/Program.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peauchamois,

That will be because you are running as a user that does not have update access to the folder in which it is running... the solution that you have found is IMHO the best one.
damonvshort

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: SSL Reply with quote

Hi
I get a message that says 'could not load SSL library'
Can you help?
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damonvshort,

Most often people get that error when they have not extracted all the files from the zip file to the same directory on their computer and then run the .exe file from the directory that they have extracted to.
APFURRER

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Gixen Review Reply with quote

Application works on every XP Windows machine I have loaded it on and works great!

Allen Cool
gordolake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: win 7 Reply with quote

Install on 2 win7 machines, slot errors
Remedies,
1. move to documents folder from desktop.
2. load new dll files.
3. turn off read write attribute on folder extracted from zip by win7.
and finally the only non error solution-
4. Change to run xp sp3 compatibility mode, all OK.

Cheers.
great software thanks
tanyu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant see where to set which ebay to place snipe to in prefreences (1.3.Cool, is that normal ?
Where can I set this up ?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanyu, you can set this up only through the web interface, GDM picks up these settings if relevant. I answered your other question in another thread, please don't launch several posts for the same issue.
jkingrph1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Desktop Manager Reply with quote

pjzrsbp wrote:
Hi.......just trying to get onto the Desktop Manger and it keeps coming up with the same heading:

What do I do to get this working???
Cheers

I started getting this after upgrading to Windows 8.

I have GDM 1.3.8
?
any suggestions
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkingrph1,

My suggestion would be to try running it in the Windows compatibility mode for Windows XP, if that is still available in Windows 8.
Uncertain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Windows 7 & 8 - Run in XP SP3 Compatibility Mode Reply with quote

Running the application in XP SP3 Compatibility mode resolved the problem on my Windows 7 and Windows 8 machine.

I was also getting Socket error #10060. Connection timed out... but not any more Smile
Californication

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Error 203 Reply with quote

I used Gixen Manager two months ago and it worked perfectly. Today I tried to use it again but it gave me the same error on two different laptops: "Couldn't add item, API returned: ERROR 203: couldn't get info for item".
What should I do to make it work?
Thank you.
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Californication,

Which version of the GDM are you using (available via the 'About' button in the menu bar), the latest version is 1.3.9.
Californication

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: 203 error Reply with quote

I use the latest one - 1.3.9
Californication

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: 203 error Reply with quote

Sorry, that was my mistake, I used a wrong ebay ID. Embarassed
peter force

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: GIXEN FIX FOR -"Socket error #10060. Connection timed Reply with quote

hey im new to GIXEN and love it!.. if it works well enough i will have no problem with the 6$...thats the least i could do for something this sweet.

ANYWAY FIX FOR ERROR

for the above error that is mentioned a few times. deleting OF the above mentioned .dll files worked!..WHAT ALSO HELPED was- going into the Gixen/properties and under settings you can select it to run with certain versions of windows.i selected the version that was closest to my version since my exact version was not listed.before doing this it wouldnt load everytime.i think it was set {auto} to work best with WINDOWS 7, i now forget.AFTER SELECTING THE WINDOWS VERSION IN PROPERTIES--- it now takes about 15 secs to load each time but when its up it up and running like a champ! honestly for the the limitations i already have on the dump of a PC ...its working great!

this is what worked for me!! ..im sure its already been answered more then once but it was the only issue i had and fixed.

THANX MARIO GREAT TO MEET YA!!! GREAT TO MEET YA ALL!
IncrediblePK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, awesome program. And it have a great amout of options for the mere $6. Nice.

Here's what I'm wondering:

Is there an option to snipe a few different auctions selling the same item and once you win one of the items (or a specified number of items) the sniping stops?

IE:

Seller 1 selling item for 50.00 with one hour left
Seller 2 selling same item for 45.00 with 2 hours left
Seller 3 selling same item for 40.00 with 3 hours left

I want to put in a snipe of 60.00 on all three but don't want to purchase more than one if I win the first or second auction.

TIA!
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IncrediblePK,

Yes, just put them in the same group. The first won item will cancel the remaining ones. There has to be at least two minutes between the end times, however.

On the settings page you can also enable more advanced features, e.g. multi-win and contingency groups, but if you do so make sure you understand the feature, or ask first if you don't.
IncrediblePK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
IncrediblePK,

Yes, just put them in the same group. The first won item will cancel the remaining ones. There has to be at least two minutes between the end times, however.

Perfect. Thanks for the super fast response! Cool

-PK
RayInAZ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Does not appear to work on Windows-8 Reply with quote

I get this error when trying to run on Windows-8
Socket Error # 10060
Connection Timed out.

If this is the same as the intermittent time out problem you are working on I am sorry for this post.

I have heard such good things about this software, would like to see it run for me.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray,

It's not - make sure the included dlls are in the working directory of GixenDesktopManager.exe, and run the same executable in compatibility mode. It should work then.
RayInAZ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Windows 8 Issue Resolved Reply with quote

Noticed the post to run in Windows XP SP3 mode and it appears to work fine.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just heard about Gixen and decided to donate just to get the Mirror Backup .
( ive had a few non bids with some jbidwatcher , even though it is a really good program for free it just doesn't bid for me that much any more ).

Gixen Desktop manager seems to work good on Server 2008 Wink
thecapper

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into the same problem: Socket Error # 10060, for Windows 8 64-bit. I ran a compatibility check and Windows chose XP SP3. All is working now. Thanks for the awesome program, Mario!

You mentioned a plug-in for Firefox, but I could not locate one. Is it still available? Just curious...

Thanks again.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecapper,

The Firefox plug-in is not available for download at the moment, hopefully this will be temporary. Monitor this thread:

http://www.gixen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5913

for updates.
melissa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: socket error # 10060 connection times out Reply with quote

I got this error socket error # 10060 connection times out. when I log in with my user name and password. I am using windows 8 I don't know how to install this manually. is there ay way you can help me with it
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melissa, see posts above. Did you try to run it in the compatibility mode?
hbiker10

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: MacBook Reply with quote

Hi

Is there a manager for a macbook?

Thanks
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no, windows only.
FlaScubaMan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Socket error # 10060 connection times out Reply with quote

socket error # 10060 connection times out

I received this error also, after the desktop manager was successfully installed and I made and won a snipped bid. The second time I went to open and use the Desktop Manager from a desktop shortcut, I got the error.

I believe this is caused by a password mismatch. After I forced a log-out of Ebay on my browser and logged back in, with my usual password, the Desktop Manager would let me log in just fine.

Michael Laughing Very Happy
plymplan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Love the desktop app - I'm in for donating Reply with quote

Thanks for all your work on this project.

I have been using it free for awhile but the desktop app makes is SO convenient.

Look for my donation via PayPal Very Happy

Chris
mer1365

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: gixen installer Reply with quote

i just made a batch file to automaticly to install gixen, in order to use it you would still need the main gixen app from the first post so i hope you all find this use full (this will work with all future updates as well (unless it turns into a 64 bit app)

i saw people complaining about there being no installer for this software so i made this to do what i call a soft install automaticly please tell me if you have problems with it
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mer1365, please email me and attach the installer, I need to review it first (I don't like external links in the forum). If ok I will host it on Gixen.
andrew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Socket Error # 10060 Reply with quote

i m using win7 ..when i run gixen desktop manager, it gives error:
Socket Error # 10060
connection timed out.

what should i do to make it run ?
it does run to the interface page, but i can't enter Item no. so render the program useless to me.

any idea how to fix that now ?

thanks.
andrew
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you experience any other problems with your internet connection Andrew?

For example is it sometimes slow?

Have you tried the Gixen Desktop only once or several times, if so, over what time period?

Do you always get the same error at the same point in the processing or does it vary in some way, in which case what are the variations?

Have you tried running it from a short-cut that is running in XP compatibility mode?
WolfSDH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to bypass the socket error with compatibility mode, but I'm unable to see anything I've bidded on or watching. Is there a way to import this?
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolfSDH,

The feature to import your watch list is only available via the web interface, I believe.

You can, of course, use both interfaces in order to access the features you need most from each.

However, even in the web interface, items that you have already bid on are not imported even if they are on your watch list.... this is a feature mario has promised to review at some stage.
drp2thehill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Gixen D M Reply with quote

Gixen DM works great, have Win 7 Thanks!
zburget

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Windows 8.1 64bit has problem...

Socket Error # 10060
Connection timed out.

This error I get immediately after attempt of running GDM.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zburget,

The error you are getting is likely due to one of the following reasons:

1) Included DLL files are not in the "working" directory of GixenDesktopManager.exe, or
2) You need to run GixenDesktopManager in the "compatibility" mode (right click on it, and then see if there is compatibility mode).

Let me know if this helps.
zburget

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
2) was true. Smile
After I set compatibility to Windows XP, GDM is launched.

Thanks
csese45

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: 64bit compatability Reply with quote

Hi
I have Gixen on an old computer running XP 32 and it is fine.
I have a new computer with 8.1Pro 64 and I get the same error message #1006 etc.
I am not a computer wiz (retiredAustralian engineer) and would appreciate it someone could walk me through the fix - compatibility etc
Thanking you in anticipation
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

csese45, do everything the same as on XP, only right click on the GixenDesktopManager.exe and run it in the compatibility mode.
csese45

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: 64bit compatability Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
Now fixed. opened as XP Compaiability (W7 wouldn't open)
vinnietracy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario works on windows 8 thank you its great also when windows did there update it messed something up in program deinstalled it and all its components and reinstalled back up and running perfect thanks for a great product and the price was even better FREE
undermark5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Works in WINE on Linux (Ubuntu) Reply with quote

So i tend to use either windows or ubuntu on my computer (windows mainly for gaming and ubuntu for mainly everything else) and I will report that GDM works (well as far as the seeing information goes i haven't tried to add an item yet) well enough in WINE to be usable (it isn't going to be perfect ever but it is very usable)
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

undermark5, thank you for testing it with Wine, great to hear that it works.
viking100

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Gixen Desktop Manager now available to free users Reply with quote

Please try it and post the feedback here.[/quote]

Works fine on Win 7 Ultimate 64bit OS - great little program and the ability to refresh data frequently is a great plus.
drcrazytrain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: MAC Support Reply with quote

Any news when there will be a Desk Top Manager for MAC?
LowHanger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Gixen Desktop Manager now available to free users Reply with quote

mario wrote:

Hi Mario. Thanks for the great service - I just found this after my jBidwatcher stopped working and am very pleased. So much so I subscribed to your service.

Anyway, wanted you to know that I was successful in getting the Desktop Manager running on my Mac using Wineskin, for those that might be interested. It took me about 10 minutes - not much of a hassle.

Thanks, hope this info helps someone else.
imaeyeguy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Crash with Windows 8.1 Reply with quote

I am getting a crash error with windows 8.1, it was working on windows 7.0 before my OS upgrade:

Socket error# 10060
Connection timed out.

Tried these fixes but did not help:
1.) run as administrator
2.) run in compatibility mode Windows vista
3.) added inbound / outbound rules to firewall
4.) turned off avast (anti-virus)
5.) turned off firewall

Any suggestions? Thanks in advanced.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imaeyeguy,

Do you have the option to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP?
lagflag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Does it have to stay open Reply with quote

Do I have to keep the desktop manager before the end of an auction to snipe it? or it somehow stores that on gixen server and do the snapping anyway even if I am offline?
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lagflag,

It is safe to give your computer a rest from time to time when you are not using it.

You do not need to keep the Gixen Desktop Manager open. All the essential data is transferred to the Gixen servers and it is the Gixen servers that do the actual work of sniping.

The Gixen Desktop Manager is just an convenient interface to interact with the sniping servers, as is the web interface, you don't need to be logged into that either.
Liza75762

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Gixen Desktop Reply with quote

mario wrote:
nara wrote:

I would try deleting ssl dlls from Gixen Desktop Manager directory (three files or so), and installing OpenSSL for Windows from scratch. That might resolve the issue.

Doing the above fix and then running in Windows XP compatibility mode worked for me.
sapelis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Question about bidds on ebay Germany Reply with quote

Hy,

maybe you know it's legal use your tool (GDS) on ebay Germany?
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Question about bidds on ebay Germany Reply with quote

sapelis wrote:
Hy,

maybe you know it's legal use your tool (GDS) on ebay Germany?

Are you implying that there is a legal issue, in the German jurisdiction, with any of the services or tools provided here?

If so, please can you direct us to the legal statute that details the provisions, so that users can make their own judgement and protect themselves from any chance of prosecution, if necessary.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's legal, in fact many German users use Gixen. eBay Germany tried to ban sniping many years ago (in 2002 I believe), but Berlin county court found the ban illegal and it was revoked, according to wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniping_%28eBay%29
McMacaron

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Gixen Desktop Reply with quote

Liza75762 wrote:
mario wrote:
nara wrote:

I would try deleting ssl dlls from Gixen Desktop Manager directory (three files or so), and installing OpenSSL for Windows from scratch. That might resolve the issue.

Doing the above fix and then running in Windows XP compatibility mode worked for me.

I can confirm that this issue is solved if you are running Gixen on Win8.1 in XP compatibility mode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: