Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Suggestion for improvement to Gixen (as requested)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GixenSteveH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Suggestion for improvement to Gixen (as requested) Reply with quote

I would be great if the details of the auction shown in the list of snipes (time to go and current bid) could be dynamically updated, as they are in eBay itself. While Gixen is of course primarily a tool to "sneak in at the last second", and so most users probably enter their highest bid and then log off, being able to stay logged on and know if your high bid had already been beaten before the auction was reaching its conclusion would enable you to then increase your high bid if you felt this was appropriate. I know you can update the details by refreshing the "list of snipes" page but how often should you do this? If Gixen itself updated the details that would be far better.
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the time to end would be possible, since generally that's predictable from the end time and can be done by the site internally.

Dynamic update of auction prices is much less likely as the amount of resource required to get them back from Ebay constantly for all snipes, even just for all snipes of logged on Gixen users is quite large and would take up valuable Gixen server resources. That function is a primary reason for the original development of the Gixen Desktop Manager (for Windows devices) which uses your own resources to retrieve the auction prices directly from Ebay and can be configured to do so on a far more regular basis than is feasible via the Gixen servers for display on the website.

It was tried many years ago for a while and it was a complete non starter as it just ground the servers to a halt, at that time. Of course servers are much more powerful these days, but there are also a lot more Gixen users than there were back then.

Last edited by Cupid on Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
GixenSteveH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I tried downloading the Desktop Manager but need the 32-bit version - not sure what the latest version might be. I got v2.0.2 and that gives a "Server certificate invalid or not present" error, which the forum says is now fixed but maybe only in the 64-bit version. Is there a 32-bit version in which it is also fixed?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say the forum says it's fixed can you point me to the place in forum? It may be an unrelated problem.

What version of Windows do you use?
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject:

Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that a search came up for me, was this thread from January 2018, on which Ramona mentioned this issue with the GDM, but it may be off topic for that thread.

Incidently this has now also been raised as a Support issue, here, I'll link the two.

I don't have the equipment available to me any more to be able to test this myself, which is why I haven't responded until now.
GixenSteveH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm pretty sure that was the report I found. It mentions the exact wording of the error I get so I assumed that when Cupid said he'd had "a few of these" and then Mario said "I think I resolved the issue last night" they were referring to that particular error as well as the others reported under that thread.

I get the error under Windows XP Media Server Edition. Yes, there are still some of us sensible enough not to be ensnared in the Windows 10 trap!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.