Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

UK pounds or dollars in amount?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
akfourseven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: UK pounds or dollars in amount? Reply with quote

Hi all, If i am bidding on an item on ebay UK and i enter a figure into the 'bid' box - is this figure in uk pounds ÂGBP - or is it in US dollars $?
Thanks
AK
Rickajho

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The eBay site the item is located on determines what currency you are bidding in.

Rick
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

Not always. e.g. items on eBay.ca can be listed both in USD and CAD (seller can choose). I'm sure there are more such examples. So one should look at the currency of the listing.
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've seen listings created all over the world in currencies other than that local to the host site... The default is always the local currency... and it's rare for sellers to choose to do this, I guess it's when sellers really want to target foreign buyers that might have concerns about bidding in a currency that they are not familiar with.

Anyway, as Mario said, Gixen always operates in the currency of the auction. I tend to work out the conversion to my own currency myself taking into account the 3.5% conversion charge that Paypal charge the buyer when they ned to exchange currencies... Which is something Ebay doesn't do, and makes therefore makes things look a bit cheaper than they really are for buyers that need to convert their money.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject:

Rickajho

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
Rick,

Not always. e.g. items on eBay.ca can be listed both in USD and CAD (seller can choose). I'm sure there are more such examples. So one should look at the currency of the listing.

That's what I meant. Something must have got lost in the currency translation. Very Happy The point is you are bidding in the currency of the seller's location/listing or possibly choice, your bidding currency is not based on the buyer's location.

Being in the US when I view or bid on items on ebay.ca the bidding has always shown as CAD. In most cases the page will show an approximate USD conversion amount - but the bidding was done in CAD with a currency conversion at the time of payment. For what it's worth so far I have never seen an item on ebay.ca with bidding in USD.

Rick
Ramona

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy a reasonable amount of stuff from Chinese sellers on eBay. It's not unusual for them to have the same item listed in multiple auctions in different currencies (GBP, USD, AUD, etc). I usually just choose whichever works out cheapest on the day that I'm buying.

Also, I always tell PayPal to pay in the currency of the auction, and let my bank charge for the currency conversion. It invariably works out cheaper than paying in my local (GBP) currency and paying PayPal for the conversion.
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramona wrote:
Also, I always tell PayPal to pay in the currency of the auction, and let my bank charge for the currency conversion. It invariably works out cheaper than paying in my local (GBP) currency and paying PayPal for the conversion.

I didn't know you could do that... though I am familiar with asking banks to do that when I am abroad and needing local currency from cash points. I wonder if that is something they have introduced in the past few years or just something they haven't advertised so well? I'm also guessing it's only when you use a card as the payment method ?
Rickajho

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. The way I've seen it work over the years is that if you pay using PayPal then PayPal will charge you a foreign transaction conversion fee no matter what credit card you use for the payment. But if you use eBay's payment processing instead and skip PayPal you have choices: For US customers some banks will charge a conversion fee, some don't. (Like Bank of America always charges a fee, American Express does not.) Know your credit cards.

Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.