Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

different offset advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
annabelculver

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: different offset advice Reply with quote

Is it adviseable to set different times if you have the mirror service? Would this bea good idea if you have low broadband speed and are worried that the bid won't get there in time? Thanks
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your broadband speed is of no significance to this decision, because Gixen snipes are sent directly from Gixen servers to Ebay, so once you set them you don't need an internet connection at your home at all.

The highest offset that you choose is the one that you should most often expect the snipe to be placed at. Most often that snipe is successfully placed and hence the one scheduled slightly later from the other server gets blocked by Ebay since you can't place two separate bids from the same Ebay account at different times.

Personally I choose to have both servers attempt to send the snipes at the same time, occasionally that results in two bids, of the same amount, being registered against that item, since Ebay software can't determine that a bid of that amount has already been placed when they come it at exactly the same amount, I don't regard that as a disadvantage to me, but some do since it is an indication that an automated service is being used.

There is no advice given, no agreed advantage to any particular settings, and that is why these are left as options for you to configure to your own preference... It is up to you what you think works best for the type of auction that you take an interest in.
juangrande

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark's advice (or lack thereof Very Happy ) is spot on.

As an example, I set my offsets as 4 sec (Main) and 3 sec (Mirror). Even then, I sometimes have my bid recorded twice in the bid history. This bid history is an example.

As a technical point, this means that eBay's system checks the bidding about once per second and that two bids from the same bidder that arrive at eBay less than one second apart will both be recorded.

As Mark has already pointed out, there is no practical reason to avoid that.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.