Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Why longer?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrTeeth

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Why longer? Reply with quote

I have just signed up for the Mirror service and just wondered something. Why would anybody want a snipe value/offset greater than 3? Surely the shorter the better?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not - you want the time short enough not to allow manual bidders to change their mind, but early enough to be submitted before other snipers in order to take advantage of ebay bid increment rules. My opinion is that this is actually around 8 seconds in most cases, but opinions differ.
juangrande

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. Shorter is not always better. If you are competing against other snipers, a longer offset is better for the reason Mario gave. However, if you are competing against a 1-click bidder, shorter is better (as long as it isn't so short that your bid doesn't make it to eBay in time to be recorded before the auction closes).

I prefer to set my Main/Mirror offsets to 4/3 seconds because I've been defeated by 1-click bidders on in the past. Mario's advice is based on analyzing data (and is more reliable advice because of that).

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.