Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Will eBay's New 1-Click Bidding Confuse Gixen?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
juangrande

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Will eBay's New 1-Click Bidding Confuse Gixen? Reply with quote

I read on eBay's Bidding discussion forum that "1-click bidding" has been implemented. I haven't tried it, but apparently it works as follows: once you have placed at least one bid, you can re-bid without having to go through the confirmation window (hence the term "1-click bidding"). One poster suggested that "it would be interesting to see if it affects the ability of a snipe service to place a bid".

Has anyone tested this with Gixen (by placing an early lowball bid and then scheduling a snipe)? Could this cause snipes to fail?

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is probably - yes. If someone tries this, please let me know what happens.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do this fairly often when I knock out a high 'Buy it Now' (more than I want to pay) and back it up with my maximum via gixen... Does anyone know which sites this applies to at the moment?... I've been manually bidding from co.uk today (just pushing up prices on things I don't expect to actually win, because I'm not using gixen for them) and haven't noticed it.

Do I have to turn on some option on my eBay account before it starts happening?

I'll let you know when I next do it though.
juangrande

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good question, Mark. I don't know for sure which eBay site(s) have implemented this. If you're interested, it's being discussed in the "One Click Bidding" thread of the Bidding discussion forum. An eBay employee even posted a reply; unfortunately, it created more questions than it answered. The URL of this thread is http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?threadID=1000563583&tstart=0&mod=1190568892330

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject:

Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks juangrande that proved very interesting reading.. IMO the posters on that thread are all correct, it is a very very bad idea... but then why should I complain with my bidding strategies it probably makes things better for me!

However I'd never use that kind of thing myself for any of my strategies, quite simply its of no use at all and a total waste of effort on eBays part. Where it might help me, is that it messes up other bidders that might have an interest in the same things as me but not the same knowledge of value.

Anyway, going back to the original question, from what I see (in the posts on that thread) it should not affect gixen. I am of this opinion because you seem to have to select a '1 click button' that appears on the auction... obviously gixen isn't designed to do that (and nor should it of course, its a stupid idea from cradle to grave)... so if gixen continues just as it is we should be OK.

However, I really do need to see it to increase my confidence... if the user selected that button from home then logged on from a different location (as gixen does) and the one click option came up then it probably would affect gixen... lets hope the implementation is not quite that stupid!... and just in case it is, for the moment at least, stay away from that button or better still do as I do and stay away from the auction pages entirely when its about to close and let gixen get on with what it does best... you'll know soon enough whether you won, and watching wont help it can only hinder.

As I said earlier from co.uk it doesn't seem to have appeared yet... if I see it I'll get back to you on this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.