Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Gixen Mirror Offset & eBay Autobidder Scenario

View previous topic :: View next topic  
obiwan1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Gixen Mirror Offset & eBay Autobidder Scenario Reply with quote

Hi, I recently purchased Gixen to support the developer and noticed I can set an offset of 1 second.
Now here's a scenario I thought of

I want to buy say a Smartphone off eBay. It's currently at 127$ with 1$ increments.
I'm user A(Gixen) and there's another user B(eBay autobidder)
There's 1 minute for the auction to end. User B has set a max limit at 200$ and user B has set offsets of 1s on the mirror -> max bid 199.
As the product is currently at 127$
Will user A win as gixen will bid 128$ at 1s ?
--
Also what's up with so many fake accounts that simply drive up the prices but never pay up on winning and force others to pay more to win?
Rickajho

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't beat the clock here. If the eBay proxy bid is higher than yours that person is still going to win since their higher bid was placed before yours. It's a snipe, but it still follows all eBay bidding rules.

Also, with a one second offset you are running a high risk that the bid won't get placed at all if there is any internet glitch of only one second or less which slows down the snipe attempt in the process.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickajho wrote:
This isn't beat the clock here. If the eBay proxy bid is higher than yours that person is still going to win since their higher bid was placed before yours. It's a snipe, but it still follows all eBay bidding rules.

Also, with a one second offset you are running a high risk that the bid won't get placed at all if there is any internet glitch of only one second or less which slows down the snipe attempt in the process.

So how exactly is this better than ebay's autobidder? Did I just waste 6$?
Rickajho

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

Sniping doesn't show your bid or your interest until the very last seconds of an auction. When multiple people use the eBay proxy bidding instead it creates bidding wars, some times days in advance, which drives up the bid amounts.

With a snipe you are setting your maximum bid amount and you can walk away from the process, rather than get caught up in bidding wars resulting in bidding more than you intended to pay or more than the item may actually be worth.

Would be a good idea to click on that "Why Snipe" tab at the top of the page and give it a read.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickajho wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Sniping doesn't show your bid or your interest until the very last seconds of an auction. When multiple people use the eBay proxy bidding instead it creates bidding wars, some times days in advance, which drives up the bid amounts.

With a snipe you are setting your maximum bid amount and you can walk away from the process, rather than get caught up in bidding wars resulting in bidding more than you intended to pay or more than the item may actually be worth.

Would be a good idea to click on that "Why Snipe" tab at the top of the page and give it a read.

So I simply login a minute before the auction ends and put my max bid on ebay's autobidder and save myself 6$ in the process.
I apologize but where exactly is the snipe in this? Sniping is getting something at a lower price than the maximum your competitor wants to pay by being faster than them. This is I don't know what? Placebo snipe?
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are not understanding quite how Ebay, and Gixen, work. That's not unusual, even for those that have used both for quite a while, so there's no shame in that.

Sure, you can place manual bids yourself at the end of the auction and achieve pretty much the same result... You'll also need to set yourself alarms throughout the day and night to remind yourself to do that.

Sniping is placing a bid in the last seconds of the auction, there isn't any guarantee that you are going to win as a result... If any other bidder has already placed a bid above your maximum it is impossible to do so, no matter what offsets you put in, or whether you place the bid yourself or utilise Gixen to do it for you.

The advantage you are gaining is that it doesn't give others the opportunity to react to your bid... if you place your bid on Ebay before you walk away from your computer, perhaps hours before the auction actually ends then you do provide that opportunity to others that might then subsequently decide they will pay more than they had otherwise considered the item might be worth... just because you have raised the price by bidding earlier.

If you still consider that not worthwhile, then at least you've only 'wasted' a very small amount of money in order to learn more about how these things work... however, I suspect that if you think about it for a while, you will, as you can see many others have done, decide that what is happening here, actually does often result in you being able to buy things at a lower price (like I say, no guarantees on any specific item though) than you would otherwise manage with just your own manual bidding... and that annoying alarm that you keep having to set and react to...

As for:
obiwan1 wrote:
Also what's up with so many fake accounts that simply drive up the prices but never pay up on winning and force others to pay more to win?

If an account doesn't pay for items consistently then Ebay will remove the account once a few sellers report them. If you suspect that sellers have set up accounts in order to bid on their own items and drive the price up, then you should report that to Ebay as it is against their rules, and in certain jurisdictions actually illegal, so Ebay do have to take such things seriously.

The lesson I learnt, from Ebay experience, many years ago, was to do my research upfront, set my maximum based on that and bid late in the auction, and then I didn't have to worry so much about what other bidders were up to, since when I lost, which I still do most of the time because I'm a cheapskate, it would be because those other bids were too high, in my opinion and, on these things, that's the only opinion that matters, to me.

Last edited by Cupid on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
obiwan1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
I think you are not understanding quite how Ebay, and Gixen, work. That's not unusual, even for those that have used both for quite a while, so there's no shame in that.

Sure, you can place manual bids yourself at the end of the auction and achieve pretty much the same result... You'll also need to set yourself alarms throughout the day and night to remind yourself to do that.

Sniping is placing a bid in the last seconds of the auction, there isn't any guarantee that you are going to win as a result... If any other bidder has already placed a bid above your maximum it is impossible to do so, no matter what offsets you put in, or whether you place the bid yourself or utilise Gixen to do it for you.

The advantage you are gaining is that it doesn't give others the opportunity to react to your bid... if you place your bid on Ebay before you walk away from your computer, perhaps hours before the auction actually ends then you do provide that opportunity to others that might then subsequently decide they will pay more than they had otherwise considered the item might be worth... just because you have raised the price by bidding earlier.

If you still consider that not worthwhile, then at least you've only 'wasted' a very small amount of money in order to learn more about how these things work... however, I suspect that if you think about it for a while, you will, as you can see many others have done, decide that what is happening here, actually does often result in you being able to buy things at a lower price (like I say, no guarantees on any specific item though) than you would otherwise manage with just your own manual bidding... and that annoying alarm that you keep having to set and react to...

As for:
obiwan1 wrote:

If an account doesn't pay for items consistently then Ebay will remove the account once a few sellers report them. If you suspect that sellers have set up accounts in order to bid on their own items and drive the price up, then you should report that to Ebay as it is against their rules, and in certain jurisdictions actually illegal, so Ebay do have to take such things seriously.

The lesson I learnt, from Ebay experience, many years ago, was to do my research upfront, set my maximum based on that and bid late in the auction, and then I didn't have to worry so much about what other bidders were up to, since when I lost, which I still do most of he time because I'm a cheapskate, it would be because those other bids were too high, in my opinion and, on these things, that's the only opinion that matters, to me.

Well that guy was pissed.

Anyways, thanks for answering my queries, I really appreciate it Smile
EveryonesBigSister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Didn't seem pissed Reply with quote

Really? I thought they were incredibly polite and thorough, and also very helpful. They took a good amount of time writing a response to something that you could have looked up on your own.

If anyone it seems like you are pissed you spent 6.00 on something you didnt understand.

Your 6.00 supports a developer that has put a lot of time and money into making something that is helpful and free to others, so consider it your good dead for the day.[/quote]
juangrande

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This previous post has a little extra explanation you might find helpful.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.