Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Paypal additional fees for calulating exchange rate?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnn7591

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Paypal additional fees for calulating exchange rate? Reply with quote

As per post title: Does Paypal make an additional charge for calculating Ex Rates on one's winning bid - GBP to USD generally in my case? I ask as a recent bid that I calculated as being VAT free (<ÂGBP 18 I believe) looks to have crept over the threshold by 27p or so with the likelihood that VAT may now be applicable. Only a small amount at the bottom end of the scale but an interesting problem if indeed there is a charge at higher amounts for winning bids. If so, is there any way around this?

Also (just thought!) I have a mix of snipes pending and I have them all pointing to the U.K. site even though the majority atm are on Ebay.com. Is there a better solution or does it really not matter that much?

TIA, John
juangrande

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can read about PayPal's cross border fees here.

Whether or not PayPal assesses you any fees for an international transaction is independent of which eBay site you point your snipes to. If paying for the item requires an international transaction, then any fees associated with that will apply, regardless of which eBay site you used to place your bid.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
johnn7591

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juangrande wrote:
You can read about PayPal's cross border fees [url= paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-are-the-cross-border-fees-when-selling-international-faq2927?app=searchAutoComplete]here[/url].

Whether or not PayPal assesses you any fees for an international transaction is independent of which eBay site you point your snipes to. If paying for the item requires an international transaction, then any fees associated with that will apply, regardless of which eBay site you used to place your bid.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you, much appreciated I will also check out the link.

John
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are located in the UK this may be more applicable to your specific circumstances.

In general when buying from the UK with a UK balance or UK direct debit bank funding (not a credit card that is much more expensive) I calculate what I'm prepared to pay based on Paypal charging me 3.5% above the mid market exchange rates (given on sites like xe.com) in order to make the currency transfer.

You most certainly can never rely on the approximations that the Ebay pages give you, you will always pay more than that, when using Paypal.

Not that I suggest you use any other method of payment for items under about ÂGBP 2,000 because all banks that I've investigated charge you more than Paypal does. For larger sums there are some interesting start ups around for international money transfer, but they generally require both parties signed up to them to work, and persuading sellers abroad to sign up for them would be a particular challenge, especially if the sale is made via Ebay and they already have a Paypal account.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

johnn7591

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
If you are located in the UK may be more applicable to your specific circumstances.

In general when buying from the UK with a UK balance or UK direct debit bank funding (not a credit card that is much more expensive) I calculate what I'm prepared to pay based on Paypal charging me 3.5% above the mid market exchange rates (given on sites like xe.com) in order to make the currency transfer.

You most certainly can never rely on the approximations that the Ebay pages give you, you will always pay more than that, when using Paypal.

Not that I suggest you use any other method of payment for items under about ÂGBP 2,000 because all banks that I've investigated charge you more than Paypal does. For larger sums there are some interesting start ups around for international money transfer, but they generally require both parties signed up to them to work, and persuading sellers abroad to sign up for them would be a particular challenge, especially if the sale is made via Ebay and they already have a Paypal account.

Thanks Cupid. Good information and confirms the (albeit relatively small) discrepancies that I've seen.
I am resigned to paying a little over the odds from what I calculate - all part and parcel of purchasing across borders and the convenience of using Paypal I suppose.
I have just asked a U.S. seller that I have purchased a second item from (not sniped this time) in two days to combine purchases - it may save a bit of p&p if they haven't yet bundled the first item up - it was only two days ago, cross fingers Smile

Won my first sniped item earlier this evening - worked a charm and absolutely delighted with Gixen's performance so far.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my query.
Had to remove your link, Gixen prohibiting me from quoting url's.

Atb, John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.