Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

no bid - too late

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musoist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: no bid - too late Reply with quote

Hi, Very good & appreciated snipe - but...........122722582442
Wife wanted to bid but new reg. required & last minute issues & Ebay (service problem)
I bid for her and later used Gix link to check item.
It didn't let me & offered resend or cancel.
I was wary that it may spoil my bid so cancelled.
I noticed that my snipe said 8min. though 1 min. left & that my previous increment was not showing!
Quandary - either reinforce my bid by incrementing again = refreshing or leave alone in case it spoils.
I missed a bargain approx. GBP 50 less. Who knows.
Point is, red message says bid may have been too late.
Okay, but why not then resort to GBP 2 lower entered bid instead?
Why not warn that last minute changes risky?
Miffed - but thanks Gixen
juangrande

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I completely understand what you're saying, so please feel free to give us more information if I miss something.

1. Your Gixen bid page clearly states the following warning: Important note: snipes deleted less than 2 minutes before auction end may still be executed. In addition, Gixen will present you with a warning if you try to enter/change a bid less than 2 minutes before the auction closes. This appears to be what you saw. In order for Gixen to work properly, bids must be entered with enough time for it to set up your bid (i.e., with at least 2 minutes left) and place it in time (before the auction closes).

2. By design, Gixen simply places the bid you enter just before the auction closes. The default is 6 seconds before the auction closes and if you have a mirror membership, you can change that to your liking.

3. Gixen has no way of knowing about your other bid and will only bid what you enter in Gixen. The only bid Gixen could resort to is a bid you previously entered in Gixen. That is, if you have a bid entered in Gixen and then try to edit it, but then cancel that edit, Gixen will revert to the previous bid.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to change the amount you bid in the last two minutes of an auction then I recommend that you just place your bid manually, not try to change the snipe you have on Gixen.

It isn't realistic to ask the system to make a value judgement about what you are trying to do, and what outcome you would find preferable, in this case you were trying to increase the amount you were prepared to pay, but you may have just been trying to cancel your snipe entirely, without setting up a new one at all... which is presumably what happened and you are complaining about... or you may have been trying to reduce the amount you were prepared to pay, then you wouldn't want your previous bid executed either... there are just two many possible scenarios for a realistic automated solution to be considered that meets everyone's expectations/requirements for last minute changes.

This is why there are clear warnings not to make changes close to the end of auctions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.