Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Problem Placing a Bid

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CraftiqueGixen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Problem Placing a Bid Reply with quote

2017/08/11
Hi Mario,

I am trying to place a bid on an item and the response I get is that my bid is above the asking price of $12.99.

The problem is that there is already a bid on this item, so the BIN price is gone.

What do I do? Question Shocked

Thanks, David

Item # is: 142468336786
CraftiqueGixen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem Placing a Bid Reply with quote

CraftiqueGixen wrote:
I am trying to place a bid on an item and the response I get is that my bid is above the asking price of $12.99.

The problem is that there is already a bid on this item, so the BIN price is gone.

Item # is: 142468336786
Hi Mario,
It appears that my bid has been entered after all and this message I'm getting is just a warning message.

Boy, I sure wish I saw this item before the first bid was placed.

Thanks, David
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This auction is still running, so Gixen has not placed any bid.

The whole point of sniping is that the bid is not placed until the last minute of the auction.

When there is a BIN price on the auction, Ebay will not accept any bid that is above that amount. So had someone not placed a bid that removed that BIN price your snipe bid would have been rejected by Ebay.

For that reason it is not advisable to set a snipe amount that is above the BIN price when that BIN price is still shown on Ebay. This is also why the warning is shown when you do that.
juangrande

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting!

The auction is ongoing and the listing does not show an active BIN. However, when one enters a snipe above $12.99, Gixen adds the snipe, but does indeed issue the warning

Your maximum bid is higher or equal than buy-it-now price (12.99). eBay may refuse your bid unless this is a disappearing buy-it-now that goes away after first bid is placed.

Apparently, the eBay listing's code still reports to Gixen that there is a BIN even though a bid has been placed and the BIN is no longer visible on the auction listing.

So, this appears to be normal operation on Gixen's side. Mario might find this one interesting, because he might be able to add a snippet of code that catches this (although he might decide that it wouldn't be worth doing anything since it doesn't block adding a snipe).

Yes, it's too bad that you didn't see the auction before someone else came along and killed the BIN with a bid ... Sad

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject:

Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, well spotted John.

Mario needs to look at this again...

At this stage we don't even know if the new integrated way for snipes to be placed will operate as expected.

There is a slight advantage gained from this information though... we now know, for sure, that the bid that killed the BIN is lower than $12.99... I wonder whether that extra information was intended to be divulged at this stage, in this way ?
juangrande

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more interesting, Mark! As you pointed out, since Gixen is still able to see that the auction started out with a BIN, the warning it gives provides an upper bound on the initial bid (and this information is not available by just visiting the auction listing on eBay).

Now I'm wondering what would happen if a second manual bid were entered on eBay for the item. What would that do to the information Gixen is able to glean from the listing? Would Gixen still give the warning? (Note that once a second bid is entered, one can no longer conclude that it is less than the no-longer-visible BIN since eBay would then accept bids higher than the original BIN price.)

Perhaps Mario could shed some light on this from his knowledge of the underlying code.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

`Curiouser and curiouser!' cried Alice
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to take a look at this. Gixen has a way of seeing if item was listed with BIN, but so far I've seen no way to see if that BIN is still in place or removed after first bid is placed. Maybe I am missing something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.