Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Both in and out of group?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fuzzbean

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Both in and out of group? Reply with quote

Somebody must have suggested this before...

I need a certain thing and see 2 going for reasonable prices so far. I'd take either one, so I put them in a group with my maximum bid for each viewed from the perspective of me not having one of something I need.

However the more distant in time listing is currently crazy cheap... and the seller made dumb mistakes (not using critical descriptive words in the title, showing an incorrect cardboard box only for lead photo) which will very likely throw many people looking for this same item off scent. If I could prepare a second, lower snipe for this item and win it for a couple bucks more than the current price, I would not mind having two of them.

It seems very logical to me that I should be able to have the same item both in a group and ungrouped... or as a member of more than one group at the same time. But I tried the former and it does not go.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, configurable Groups of this type have been suggested before... so far the demand has not been great, so the suggestion has, up until now, been deemed too niche to warrant the development effort that would be required and the extra support that would result from a complex extra feature of this type.

However, the more people suggest or support such ideas the more likely they are to be considered in the future.

In the mean time I would suggest modifying your second snipe, after you know the result of the first... thus achieving your aims via manual means... not ideal, and potentially impractical in some circumstances, I know.
Fuzzbean

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was expecting to be away from internet access the whole time, so manual adjustments were not possible. As it turned out, I decided I did not need the item desperately after all and put a moderate bid on the second one and lost it... though as I expected it did sell at a lower price than normal.

I did not view this as configuring the group, but just exempting items in the group (in all groups) from rules that would otherwise apply. I guess the word "group" reminds me of groups in a CAD program I use daily, where grouping freezes the existing coordinate dimensions and allows me to set up a different X-Y zero point that applies to everything outside the group but nothing within it. I have no idea how hard this would be to set up for Gixen, but it seems simple externally. It does not seem like it would need to be an option, but just the way things work... unless there is a downside to it I have not thought of.
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The downsides of allowing this, in my view, are quite extensive... because people would not use it for the purpose you describe, but instead to schedule multiple different bids at the same time on the same item... removing, as they might see it, the need to have any Mirror support... but greatly increasing the possibility of Ebay taking action against their account due to multiple simultaneous bids coming from the same location.

The mitigation of those downsides, for what might seem a simple solution to just removing the restriction that an item can only have one scheduled snipe, would be quite difficult to implement.

Then there is the increase in support work that would inevitably follow on from people not understanding what the intention of this implementation was and thus expecting to be able to achieve entirely different results from what they actually end up getting.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.