Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Can a Bid be in Two Groups?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
juangrande

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Can a Bid be in Two Groups? Reply with quote

I've found myself in the following situation: I'd like to bid on two items, let's call them X and Y, with Y's auction ending one day later than X's auction. I have a very high snipe bid scheduled for X and I would like to bid on Y whether or not I win the auction for X, but my bid for Y will have to be lower if I win the auction for X.

So, here's my question: will it work if I put X an Y (with a high bid) in one group and Y (with a lower bid) and not grouped? As an illustration, here's an example of what I have in mind:

Group 1
---------
Item: X, Bid: 200.00
Item: Y, Bid: 100.00

No Group
-----------
Item: Y, Bid: 50.00

Would Gixen allow this?

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
threemilechild

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gixen doesn't allow multiple snipes of the same item.

(This is something I recently tried to figure a way of setting up, or very similar.)
cross3_16

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amusing to read all the obscure things people want Gixen to do Smile

I don't want to discourage suggestions, but sometimes you have to wonder how many times you'd actually want to do something. Mario is only one person after all. (I think. He could be a gestalt entity) Wink
juangrande

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your point is well taken, cross3_16. I hadn't really intended my question to be interpreted as a request for the feature and threemilechild's reply answered my question and I hope Mario doesn't spend even a moment worrying about it. Very Happy

I actually prefer that Mario has resisted adding needless extra features and appreciate that Gixen is "lean and mean" and just plain works. Other sniping services, notably ESnipe, have had trouble with their user's password's being reset by eBay for "security" reasons (apparently because their snipes appear like unauthorized account access by eBay), but I haven't seen any Gixen users complaining about this.

What Gixen does, it does best.

--- Yogi Berra
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject:

cross3_16

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right about Gixen sticking to the basics - it certainly does seem to work well.

And I hope you don't think I was too harsh. I often write macros for things that I really don't need to do that often - but really it's the best way to learn. Smile
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point, juangrande. It would not be a problem to enable multiple entry of the same item, but I worry about abuse of this feature - people scheduling the same snipe 10 times, thinking it would help them in some way.
threemilechild

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When finding an interesting and useful new tool, it's hard not to become really enthusiastic about it -- which in some cases means trying to figure out everything you can do with it.
juangrande

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario, I would prefer you use your judgment. I was just curious whether such a feature was already available, but I see your point: allowing items to be listed multiple times could cause problems.

Would it be possible to allow multiple listings of the same item only if they were listed in different groups? Again, I'm just curious... Very Happy

--- Yogi Berra
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juangrande wrote:
Would it be possible to allow multiple listings of the same item only if they were listed in different groups? Again, I'm just curious... Very Happy

... or in a 'Contingency Group' and a normal 'Group'.

Let me explain further, I've said on a few occasions that I don't use 'Groups' or 'Contingency Groups' but I haven't explained why, well its because everything I attempt to snipe I want to win.

Now I have a maximum price that I am prepared to pay for every item including the delivery cost, which can be quite significant on my items as I often buy internationally.

However sometimes a single seller has multiple auctions that I am interested in, at the moment I just set my snipes to cater for the maximum price I am prepared to pay for each and ignore any postal discount that I may achieve by winning more than one of them.

Now if I could 'Contingency Group' with the first item to finish (and I'd like the revised function of everything later being dependant on the first as discussed and proposed elsewhere on these boards) then I could bid higher on the later items (taking into account the postage discount that I'm going to get) and if successful I still get my items at a price I am willing to pay.

If I could also have the same auction in a normal group (at a lower price since I'm not getting any postage discount) then I could still automatically snipe on the later items even if I lost the first, and still not pay more than I want.

Does that make sense? It does to me...

Now this would be a feature that I would use.

I agree with Mario that multiple snipes on the same auction must be discouraged and if uangrandes suggestion of only allowing them in different groups is also easy enough to implement then prefarably that should be banned altogether. As Mario suggests if its possible someone will try it thinking it provides them an advantage which clearly it would not, just slow things up for all the sensible snipers like us Wink
cross3_16

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't use 'Groups' or 'Contingency Groups' ... because everything I attempt to snipe I want to win.

I think the groups are excellent for commonly occuring identical items, such as CD's, DVD's etc. In this case, you can pick a maximum bid that is quite low and submit it for all items in a group and you'll get a good price without having to alternate bidding. Also you can put varying bids depending on the condition of each item and it will all just work out.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cross3_16 wrote:
groups are excellent for commonly occuring identical items

Yes I absolutely agree, that is what they are useful for. I don't use them because I hardly ever bid on commonly occuring items.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.