Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.
Forum is available in English only.


   SearchSearch     

Check eBay login credentials when logging into Gixen

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
billmack
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Check eBay login credentials when logging into Gixen Reply with quote

Is there no way to check the eBay login credentials when user logs into Gixen?

Clearly, I'm not the only one who typed in a wrong password, set up snipes and watched them fail due to bad login. There's no indication that we're blindly setting up snipes that are guaranteed to fail.
Back to top
Gixen
Advertisements





PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Check eBay login credentials when logging into Gixen

Back to top
Cupid



Joined: 09 Aug 2007
Posts: 5543
Location: Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is checked against Ebay... but only when you provide a new one... normal operation is to check against a one way hash of the last successful password.. and only if that fails go to Ebay....

So, if you change your Ebay password you need to remember to use that new Ebay password to log in to Gixen the next time... otherwise you will waste your time setting up snipes that subsequently fail.

It is not possible for Gixen to operate by always checking with Ebay whenever you log in... this is because it involves logging into Ebay from a location that is different from your home (the Gixen server) and then not placing any bids... that operation in itself can cause Ebay to take action against your account or even against the Gixen server... and none of us want that to happen more often than absolutely necessary, do we?
_________________
Mark
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
billmack
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
It is checked against Ebay... but only when you provide a new one... normal operation is to check against a one way hash of the last successful password.. and only if that fails go to Ebay....


If I understand this correctly, Gixen checks internally the given username and password against the last successful username and password. I have not changed my eBay password. I had previously used Gixen successfully. When my snipes failed, I tried to log in to eBay and that's when it dawned on me that I used the wrong password on Gixen, but Gixen still let me set up the snipes to fail due to bad credentials.
Back to top
Cupid



Joined: 09 Aug 2007
Posts: 5543
Location: Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were these snipes Mirrored?

If not then I suspect we will find that your issue was a short term one with Ebay as already commented on and responded to by Mario on this thread:

http://www.gixen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7240

If what you say were correct... that Gixen allowed you to use a password that was never valid... then that would be a serious failure in the software... certainly worthy of further investigation.

So, if you think that is justified, either because the snipes in question were subject to a current Gixen Mirror subscription on your account or because you are certain that you provided credentials that were never valid, then, for the good of the service, yourself and the whole Gixen user community, please can you provide the evidence that this is so to Mario, either by giving the specific auctions that had this issue here on the forum or emailing them to Mario direct along with your Ebay id to the support address given on the Contact tab above.
_________________
Mark
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
billmack
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
Were these snipes Mirrored?


Not, they were not.

Cupid wrote:
If not then I suspect we will find that your issue was a short term one with Ebay as already commented on and responded to by Mario on this thread:



I agree - this was probably a temporary eBay issue.


Cupid wrote:
If what you say were correct... that Gixen allowed you to use a password that was never valid... then that would be a serious failure in the software... certainly worthy of further investigation.


I plan to test it further.

Cupid wrote:
So, if you think that is justified, either because the snipes in question were subject to a current Gixen Mirror subscription on your account or because you are certain that you provided credentials that were never valid, then, for the good of the service, yourself and the whole Gixen user community, please can you provide the evidence that this is so to Mario, either by giving the specific auctions that had this issue here on the forum or emailing them to Mario direct along with your Ebay id to the support address given on the Contact tab above.


I think Gixen is a great service and I can't complain since I don't have a subscription and I'm fairly sure the failed snipe due to bad credentials only happened once to me.

No subscription means no history, so the snipes/bids that failed are long gone. I can't recall the specific items I was bidding on. I seem to remember having to log on to Gixen with the wrong password to remove the snipes, then I logged on with the correct password to make new ones.

Regardless of the tiny issue I had, I plan to subscribe to Gixen.

I didn't mean for my suggestion to turn into a support issue. It is clear to me that Gixen has already accounted for the bad/changed eBay password situation.

Thank you.
Back to top
trydavid400
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: GIXEN ACCEPTS BAD USERNAMES EVEN WHEN EBAY DOESN'T Reply with quote

This might explain a few of the problems that I and others have been having with GIXEN over the past few months. Gixen will allow you to sign in to set up bids even using an older invalid ebay link or account. For example if somehow your computer settings fail to update new passwords, Gixen may still search it's memory to allow you to sign in and place bids. but it fails to authenticate with ebay that you no longer have the same password or sign in word that you once used. That could explain why many people lose out on bids when they were successful in placing them on GIXEN. Gixen will have to develop a program that can compare sign in and passwords on a regular basis that can determine that they are not matching with Gixen's internal history storage of acceptable passwords.Any mis -matched entries should bring alert that you have entered a non accepted password or sign in and block any bids.. That would allow the bidders to check their ebay accounts for any updates or changes without having to be reminded after they loose their bids !
Back to top
mario
Site Admin


Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 6213

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trydavid400, this is a known behaviour. Gixen stores hash of a last successful password for up to one week old in order to avoid unnecessary Ebay login requests. This is, indeed, necessary to avoid being blocked by Ebay.

Since most users do not change their password frequently, most of the time this is not an issue. However, when users change their Ebay password and login to Gixen with the old password, their snipes will inevitably fail.

There is no fix for this, this will not change.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2015 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.