Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Watchers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard_uk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Watchers Reply with quote

Would it be possible to add to the info how many watchers are on an item? In the UK we don't get this feature like on eBay.com so would be handy to see it on the snipe info. Also it's probably been mentioned before but is there a way to refresh the page to see updated time left/current bid price? If I try refreshing the page it doesn't like it.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not aware of anywhere that eBay.com displays the number of watchers, other than to the seller of the item, I would be interested to know where that is displayed if you know different?

There are external sites that provide that information, but again as far as I am aware such sites are using the eBay API to obtain the information.. sniping sites like Gixen are not allowed to use the eBay API though.

The auction prices are updated periodically, not via any refresh that you can trigger. The time left is updated when you push the Add button, it is not necessary to enter auction details when you do this if you don't actually want to add another snipe.

It was found some years ago that the provision of real time updates to prices via the web interface is very costly in terms of resources and affected the site adversely for all users making it much less affective at it's primary role of allowing you to schedule snipes, and subsequently executing those snipes for you when the auction is about to close. The auction price does not affect the sniping process itself so is of secondary importance and provided on the website for convenience only.

However, the Gixen Desktop Manager uses the resources if your own computer to obtain the auction prices from the eBay site, so that is able to provide you with real time updates if you require them during your sniping activities.
Richard_uk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! It's gone, it must have been a glitch when they were changing over to the new style, under where you place a bid where the new place for adding to watch list is it was showing how many watchers there were. I did it several times a week or two ago, items I was looking at on eBay.co.uk I'd copy the item number go to eBay.com and search it, and when I opened the page it showed me the number of watchers.
Richard_uk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and thanks for explaining the refresh thing, I understand.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may also be a Greasmonkey script to add the 'Number of Watchers' information to the listing, much like the snipe link is added for Gixen...

Is it possible that you had that and for some reason it is now disabled or just not working for some other reason?
Richard_uk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive not heard of greasemonkey, I don't use anything else for eBay apart from Gixen, I remembered showing my partner the watchers thing at the time and I asked her and she remembers it too, so at least I know I'm not losing the plot lol

P.S. the captcha thing.. arghh it's driving me crazy, it's taking me 4 or 5 attempts before I get it right, annoying on an iPad.
Richard_UK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proof that I'm not going crazy...

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Seller-Central/Number-Of-Watchers/5200107040
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard,

I never thought you were going crazy... that was you Wink

Seriously though, thanks for posting the link... I guess we may see it appear again in the near future... and if it becomes common on .com you can be sure that shortly after it will get introduced everywhere... eBay don't seem to keep their sites out of step with each other for more than a few weeks, except in the case that they are forced to introduce changes due to local legislation.
Sumflow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Watchers Reply with quote

Richard_uk wrote:
Would it be possible to add to the info how many watchers are on an item?
Try Watchcount.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.