Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Outsnipped

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mohdmustafa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Outsnipped Reply with quote

Love Gixen and been using it for quite 2 years.

I've been getting outsnipped a few times already and its quite upsetting as I solely rely on Gixen doing its good work.

Are there any developments to fix this?

Also, I was wondering what would happen if 2 ebay users wanted to bid on the same item using Gixen?Who would win the auction?I know it seems far-fetched but hey,it could happen. Smile
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outsniped just means that eBay accepted a bid that was entered later than the one Gixen submitted for you and it was for a larger amount than you were prepared to pay. It is not a failure, and it does not mean that somone was able to react to your bid, they had probably scheduled it some time before, as you did. The only way you could have avoided those was to bid a higher amount and that would have resulted in you paying more, of course.

If two Gixen users schedule a bid on the same item, Gixen will attempt to place both bids. In most instances it will be the higher bid that wins the auction, in a few cases it will be the one that was entered first (i.e. with the largest offset), all this is due to the eBay rules on how auctions operate.
juangrande

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a common misconception on eBay that it is the last bid that wins. This is probably because most people are familiar with outcry ("going, going, gone") auctions and are not familiar with sealed-bid auctions, where the timing of the bid is immaterial. On eBay, it is not the last bid that wins, it is the HIGHEST bid that wins.

Gixen distinguishes three losing scenarios, based on the relative timing of your losing bid to the winning bid:

1. BID UNDER ASKING PRICE This means your bid was less than one increment more than the current winning bid at the time it was placed and was rejected by eBay.
2. OUTBID This means that your bid was accepted by eBay, but was less that the winning bidder's previously placed bid.
3. OUTSNIPED This means that the winning bid was place after your bid.

In none of these cases is it Gixen's fault that you lost: you lost because your bid was not the highest bid. I once had Gixen place a $151.15 snipe on an item whose current winning bid was $35.00 and lost to that winning bidder. His actual bid was $151.20 and he had placed it over 6 hours before Gixen placed my snipe. Gixen recorded this as OUTBID.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
lukewarmpants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juangrande wrote:
It is a common misconception on eBay that it is the last bid that wins. This is probably because most people are familiar with outcry ("going, going, gone") auctions and are not familiar with sealed-bid auctions, where the timing of the bid is immaterial. On eBay, it is not the last bid that wins, it is the HIGHEST bid that wins.

Gixen distinguishes three losing scenarios, based on the relative timing of your losing bid to the winning bid:

1. BID UNDER ASKING PRICE This means your bid was less than one increment more than the current winning bid at the time it was placed and was rejected by eBay.
2. OUTBID This means that your bid was accepted by eBay, but was less that the winning bidder's previously placed bid.
3. OUTSNIPED This means that the winning bid was place after your bid.

In none of these cases is it Gixen's fault that you lost: you lost because your bid was not the highest bid. I once had Gixen place a $151.15 snipe on an item whose current winning bid was $35.00 and lost to that winning bidder. His actual bid was $151.20 and he had placed it over 6 hours before Gixen placed my snipe. Gixen recorded this as OUTBID.

But shouldn't eBay have accepted your bid then made the higher bid the winning amount instead of the $35? I ask because it looks like this same thing happened to me. I was the high bidder at $21, has a snipe set at $53.53. The winning bid was someone else at $26. Even if his snipe was higher than mine, shouldn't the seller have benefitted from the higher bids?

item=280438408674
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject:

mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lukewarmpants wrote:

But shouldn't eBay have accepted your bid then made the higher bid the winning amount instead of the $35? I ask because it looks like this same thing happened to me. I was the high bidder at $21, has a snipe set at $53.53. The winning bid was someone else at $26. Even if his snipe was higher than mine, shouldn't the seller have benefitted from the higher bids?

item=280438408674

Gixen was late (for whatever reason, gixen, ebay or network) submitting this bid. Not sure what amount you placed manually previously.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
lukewarmpants wrote:

item=280438408674

Gixen was late (for whatever reason, gixen, ebay or network) submitting this bid. Not sure what amount you placed manually previously.

It was $21 I think.
juangrande

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lukewarmpants wrote:

But shouldn't eBay have accepted your bid then made the higher bid the winning amount instead of the $35?

Yes. In the example I gave above, eBay did accept my bid and the winning bidder won for $151.20 (his exact bid).

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.