Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Lost auction 250335919199 - bid under asking price?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Maim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Lost auction 250335919199 - bid under asking price? Reply with quote

Question:

I just lost an auction (for $1.99) Laughing 250335919199 with a result in Gixen of "Bid Under Asking Price". This auction listing never turned yellow when I checked in on Gixen long before it ended. The winning bid was $1.99 and I set my max to $2.00 so I should have won. But then thinking that there may have been some weird bid increment thing going on, I looked at several other auctions that were sitting at $1.99 and several of them had a "add an amount over $1.99" but one had a "enter bid over $2.49". If this auction that I lost would have had the next required bid above my max, shouldn't my bid lising in Gixen have turend yellow and stated "Bid Under Asking Price" before the auction ended?

Thanks.
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The starting price was 1.99 and when there are no other bids you are able to place a bid at that amount, however, as in this case once a bid has been placed the bid incremant applies and hence the minimum bid in this case would have been 2.19, so the gixen message was correct.

The indication (yellow) that the current bid will not be accepted only takes account of the current auction price and compares it with your bid. So, as in this case, when the current price is close to your bid it is quite possible that gixen will not provide that indication even though your bid will not be accepted by eBay.

Personally, I think to extend gixen to provide a more accurate indication, would probably be more work than it is worth since it would involve taking account of stating price, whether a bid had been placed at that price, bid increments which vary with auction price, and currency since bid increments also vary with currency.
juangrande

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
Personally, I think to extend gixen to provide a more accurate indication, would probably be more work than it is worth since it would involve taking account of stating price, whether a bid had been placed at that price, bid increments which vary with auction price, and currency since bid increments also vary with currency.

As usual, Mark is spot on! Gixen's job is to place your bid seconds before the auction closes: nothing more, and nothing less. Gixen is not intended to be an auction management tool. If one tries to win an auction by bidding $0.01 over the current auction price, it should not be surprising to lose the auction. The way to win is to bid the most you would be willing to pay. The SIZE of your bid is much more important than the timing of your bid.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.