Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Gixen name - where did it come from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nekountze

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Gixen name - where did it come from? Reply with quote

How did you come to name Gixen, Mario? I am very impressed with its service.

Question Smile
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago, I was looking for a 5-letter domain name that sounds ok. I started from word "geek" and tried several combinations. Smile It does not have any meaning nor latin root in it Very Happy
newuser_bigfan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny because I was wracking my brain to think the answer to this too... figured it was " gets'em " (ie the bids) made webby. At least that's my mnemonic to remember it by. Anyway, brilliant service. Very sleek user experience.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed it was from 'gift' and 'vixen'. 'Gift' because the site is free, and 'vixen' because foxes hide and raid things. Snipers snatch items away from newbies, like chickens from a farmer.

Smile
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject:

cross3_16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried (and failed) to find a quote by... ummm John Lennon perhaps? (not knowing the author didn't help) about him coming to the point where he felt free to write meaningless song lyrics that sounded good and let his fans come up with all sorts of meanings. Sometime he'd hear a particularly good one and just smile knowingly. Wink

Also, managing to find a word which isn't known in any languages helps people Google it easily without extraneous results.
bkm-eboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Gixen Name Reply with quote

The variations to GIXEN that were mentioned above got me curious, so I checked GoDaddy.com for the fun of it.

Mario, you should consider purchasing another domain such as: gixem.com, gitzem.com, or gitsem.com while they are available, even if you just redirect the traffic to this website. Those names would relate well to auction sniping in a memorable manner, as in "Gets Them" or "GIBs 'Em" expressions. I kinda like "GIBs Em" because it refers to the FPShooter games that blow monsters into giblets, sort of like a sniper blowing away the bidding competition.

GIXEN gives me an impression of a name, a person, a company, or an object. GIXEM would seem more like a process, an action, or a product.
SC Fiasco

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Geek's in"

kinda catchy I think...

p.s. my first gixen snipe is scheduled for the next 48 hours... we'll see how good gixen really is (high value items as well!)

Question Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC Fiasco wrote:
p.s. my first gixen snipe is scheduled for the next 48 hours... we'll see how good gixen really is (high value items as well!)

Gixen is very good. Don't even think about criticizing it...Smile
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Don't even think about criticizing it...Smile

Actually criticizm is well tolerated here, even almost to the point of encouragement.

However everyone must expect to have their criticisms challenged and should provide evidence to back up their problem, those that dont can expect to get ignored and drowned out by the many supporters of this site.
SC Fiasco

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Lost, but happy 'bout it. Reply with quote

I got outbid by 'nudder sniper (came in at 6 seconds with $50 more), but hey, I'm actually happy 'bout it. For the most part, I hate putting a high max 'cause that's really counter to auctioning - wherein one tries to get the item at the lowest price - but trying to balance that with wanting the item bad enough...

Damned eBay noobs who keep jacking up the auctions before all the fun begins Rolling Eyes

Oh well, another auction ends in another 48 hours, I was happy with the gixen bid at 8 seconds to go on the previous item, we'll see if we can win this time... Wink Question
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hate putting a high max 'cause that's really counter to auctioning - wherein one tries to get the item at the lowest price

Thats the way it goes, fortunately you are philosopical about it. I find patience also pays dividends, many low snipes and eventually one gets through at a really good price...

If you go too high on the first one you see you've lost that opportunity (unless of course you really want lots of the same thing).

Best of luck with the next one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Impressions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.