Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Said auction ended early...went to term my bid not place

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tradeshops

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Said auction ended early...went to term my bid not place Reply with quote

Set up a bid for of 9 pounds item number: [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170046058012]170046058012[/url]

Bid was not placed.

Gixen message:
ENDED 9.00 3.99 1 AUCTION ENDED EARLY (1)

Was there a particular problem that I did not secure this item?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auction ended early means Gixen was late (unless if it really ended early by seller action).

I noticed that quite a few snipes were late in that time frame - and I am trying to determine why. Apparently there was a problem of some kind.

In the meantime, I restarted the services, and it seems OK now.

Sorry about your missed auction and thank you for notifying me.

Mario.

P.S. I deleted your other posts as it's the same issue, please respond in the same topic.
tradeshops

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

Both of the auctions mentioned ran their full course.

I did have another bid set up with a competitor of yours for an auction that finished in roughly the same time period. It too failed to place my bid, which was greater than the eventual winning bid. I will not mention the competitors name directly, but I do wish their programme would just snipe.

So, perhaps there is a problem eBay way? Their pages, (ebay.com, .au and .uk), have been very slow to load the past 48 hours.

Thanks once again.

Regards,
tradeshops
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting - and it's quite possible...
Before today, incidence of Gixen being late was very, very low (1 in 500)...
If another sniping service failed as well, that might indicate ebay problems.
I might add additional code to Gixen - tracking ebay response times. That would probably shed more light on events like this one.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject:

CanadianWeasel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, with any sniping service you run the risk of missing out on the bid due to server problems or network congestion.

ebay most certainly does have periods where there is heavy load on its servers and network and it may skew bidding. I've lost auctions which I might have won except for latency from eBay, and I was live bidding. It happens and there's nothing that can be done about it. So even if you're live bidding directly with eBay, this thing may occur. It's just one of those things you kind of have to live with. Technology ain't perfect.

It's entirely possible for eBay to monitor network bandwidth and adjust auction timings accordingly, but it would be a massive undertaking and the gains would likely only be negligible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.