Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Max Bid submitted unnecessarily item# 284421892991

View previous topic :: View next topic  
k

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Max Bid submitted unnecessarily item# 284421892991 Reply with quote

I used Gixen to snipe an item number 284421892991 - I submitted a max bid to Gixen of $200. I ended up winning the item for my max bid of $200- the problem is that the last bid before mine was only $85 dollars so I lost at least a $100 on this transaction.
I thought that Gixen or Ebay was supposed to automatically place my bid in the next allowable incrament above the last bid? What went wrong, how can i fix this?
If Gixen only submits the max bid at the last moment then it is sort of useless to me. An expensive lesson to learn. Please help.
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the auction finished, did you notice that the seller had placed a reserve on the auction ?

When there is a reserve none of the bids are winning ones until one reaches that value, then the price jumps straight to that amount, that's an Ebay function, and not a Gixen one.
Kesselrunhero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:56 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

I have looked at the listing and cannot see any mention of a reserve, although it also does not say no reserve. However, it would be a huge coincidence if the sellers reserve and my max bid where exactly the same.
There is one thing that's kind of concerning about the auction. The same person kept bidding against themselves and driving the price up over a 2 day period? That seems kind of strange to me. Thanks for the input.
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it does not indicate that there was a reserve after the auction has completed, Ebay seems to have now removed that indication, there used to be one on the bids page in these circumstances.

However, the only way that you can be asked to pay more than one bid increment more than the next highest bidder is if a reserve is in place at the time your bid is placed.

I'm not as surprised as you are that the reserve, that I believe was in place, was the same as your snipe amount, since it's an indication that both of you believe it to be worth the same amount, and it's a round amount making it more likely that it's one that both of you would choose.

Yes, I noticed the other bidder outbidding themselves repeatedly on 26th August, I took that as another indication that there was a reserve that this bidder was trying to meet, but gave up after a few hours and decided it wasn't worth that much, to them. They were not driving the price up while they were the high bidder, Ebay does not raise the auction price in those circumstances, that only happens when different bidders place bids against each other, which did not happen until the bid of US $21.00 placed on 31 Aug 2021 at 2:56:43am BST. Your final bid was the only one to eventually outbid the rest of those bids, before then Ebay just indicates, to other users, multiple bids at the same auction price.

You could ask the seller directly whether or not they paid extra for a reserve, if they say that they did not then you should take the matter up with Ebay directly as that would be an indication that there is a problem with their site.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject:

Kesselrunhero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the detailed reply - it helps me understand what happened alot. I appreciate you taking the time to explain it - I feel better about the situation now and I know in the future that I must be aware of this sort of thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.