Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

I placed a higher bid but someone got it for less?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
*oldstuff

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: I placed a higher bid but someone got it for less? Reply with quote

I was wondering why when I put in a bid of $1739.36 the item was won by someone else for $ $1736.00 ?. The status says Bid Under Asking Price but there was no reserve on the item or it had already been met ? I've been using this service and it has been working just fine until now , what am I missing?
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On eBay you dont just have to be the highest bid, you have to outbid the current auction price by at least one bid increment, otherwise eBay rejects the bid entirely.

So the status you received of 'Under Asking Price' is correct even though you were prepared to pay more than the winner ended up paying.

Last edited by Cupid on Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Colin.Pye

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I placed a higher bid but someone got it for less? Reply with quote

*oldstuff wrote:
I was wondering why when I put in a bid of $1739.36 the item was won by someone else for $ $1736.00 ?.

The big thing you are missing is found on eBay's Bid Increment page, at pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bid-increments.html

That page tells you that if the bid is between $1000 and $2500, a bid must be at least $25 over the current bid for it to count. In your case, your bid would have had to be $1754 or higher to count.

Perhaps it would be a good thing for Gixen to display the minimum bid needed to win, with an explanation like this:

Quote:
Bid had to be $1754 or higher to win.
nochkin

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: I placed a higher bid but someone got it for less? Reply with quote

Colin.Pye wrote:
The big thing you are missing is found on eBay's Bid Increment page, at pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bid-increments.html

Perhaps it would be a good thing for Gixen to display the minimum bid needed to win, with an explanation like this:

Quote:
Bid had to be $1754 or higher to win.

Don't forget that different eBay sites has different increment tables.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: I placed a higher bid but someone got it for less?

Bujuk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Automatic bid increment Reply with quote

Some other sniping services have it as an option you can choose that your highest amount is raised a little if its necessary to overcome the bid increment rule. So, if you are bidding on something small, and you put $10, it would piss you off that someone wins it for $9.51 because the increment is 50 cents, and your bid is 1 cent short of it. So I would really suggest to add this as an option. I would definitely use it!
juangrande

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic bid increment Reply with quote

Bujuk wrote:
Some other sniping services have it as an option you can choose that your highest amount is raised a little if its necessary to overcome the bid increment rule. So, if you are bidding on something small, and you put $10, it would piss you off that someone wins it for $9.51 because the increment is 50 cents, and your bid is 1 cent short of it. So I would really suggest to add this as an option. I would definitely use it!

This requires the server to check the value of the current price of the auction against your bid just before placing your bid. If your bid is greater than the current price but less than the current price plus a bid increment, then the server would have to raise your bid by "a little".

Here are some problems that would have to be overcome.

1. Gixen would have to have a lookup table for bid increments corresponding to all the various currencies of auctions. While this could be done, it is a non-trivial task.

2. Since we are talking money here, the amount corresponding to "a little" would have to be clearly specified; otherwise, the user could complain that Gixen bid too high. Presumably, this should be entered explicitly by the user, requiring another field of data Gixen has to track.

3. There would still be no protection from other snipers bidding after Gixen checks the current price but before it places the bid. There would also not be any protection against a proxy bid that is much higher than the current price of the auction: you would still lose.

4. Checking the current price is very expensive in terms of server resources. In fact, Gixen only checks the current price every three hours or so as a batch job in order to reduce the load on the server.

If it would really bother you that someone else wins for $9.51 when you bid $10.00, then bid $11.00. In other words, if you regret losing, then you didn't bid high enough. The responsibility of figuring out how high "high enough" is lies with the bidder, not Gixen.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
nochkin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bujuk,
Why don't you just snipe your max amount plus whatever increment is?
For example, if you wish to snipe for 50.00, then put 51.00 instead.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question - Would oldstuff have won the auction if his bid came in earlier than the winning bid? (See oldstuff's complaint for the background).

It seems that in this case - it was a situation of the earlier bid winning.

This is one reason why I'm thinking of having my bids set at 10 seconds or 8 seconds as opposed to 6 seconds.

ie. coming in first in this situation is better than having a higher bid.

I've won some auctions where my final winning bid was the same as my rival's bid. But because my bid came in first, it knocked out my rival's bid.

So you have a peculiar case of my winning bid and my rivals bid being the same price.
juangrande

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, *oldstuff would have won had his bid been placed earlier and, yes, setting your offset to 8 or 10 seconds would confer the advantage of the earlier bid. There are several, if not many, bidders who do this.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
jesusdrummer

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(bump)

I've hit this problem a number of times. (Just today, in fact.) I understand the technical complexities involved with doing a last second check-and-round-up, but that's part of what I'm looking for in a sniping service. If nothing else, make the bid at 10 seconds, if eBay returns an error about the bid being under the asking price, immediately re-bid at the asking price.

For the record, I'm a 2 or 3 (don't recall exactly) year Pro user. I love Gixen and I'd happily toss in some extra coin each year to you guys to get an "even more pro" service.

Kind regards,
Josh
hrh.princess

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ALL save so much money by bidding here, that it should be easy to bid a wee bit higher than normal for those auctions we don't want to lose.

Right?!
nochkin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesusdrummer,
Why don't you just snipe your max amount plus whatever increment is?
For example, if you wish to snipe for 50.00, then put 51.00 instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.