Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Submission of bids and information on bidding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Submission of bids and information on bidding Reply with quote

This seems an excellent website. I have, however, two (tentative) suggestions.

(1) I assume that bid reliability is affected by how close to the end of the auction bids are submitted. If so, then it seems to me that it would be useful to have an option of submitting a bid earlier than in the last five seconds (e.g. it could be an option to submit a bid, say, 30 seconds or, say, 10 seconds before the auction ends - whatever would make a significant difference to the reliability statistics without compromising all the benefits of sniping). This would allow users to decide whether their priority is reliability or 'snipe-speed'.

(2) The website simply refers to placing a "bid". I have inferred that it is a "maximum bid" which is placed and that eBay's proxy bidding then applies to determine the actual bids. It may be useful to state this expressly somewhere on the site.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Philip.

Looking at the statistics in the Gixen database, my conclusion is that extending time before bid is submitted will not improve reliability. In fact, it happens very, very rarely that sniper is late. In the last couple of months more common were some bugs (that I automatically log and then fix afterwards) and ebay errors (e.g. "Page not responding" ebay error). In both cases, more time would not help, and might confuse novice users.

Your second suggestion is valid, I have that clarification now on the home page.

Mario.
sask

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Submission of bids and information on bidding Reply with quote

Time is of the essence .... I have been outsniped many times when using a different sniper by maybe 2 seconds!
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sask, thank you for promoting Gixen in your post, but I have to make things clear here - you would not have been "outsniped" had your bid been high enough.

In fact, sniper doesn't help you against other snipers, and due to ebay bid increment rules, the sniper who submits bid first has a slight advantage, not the one which submits bid closest to the end of the auction. Sniper helps you against manual bidders, not other snipers.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.