Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

First time user problem

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davebern

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: First time user problem Reply with quote

I used Gixen for the first time with a bunch of snipes. Won some, got outbid on some, but the interesting issue was I had 2 bids at $5.00 on 2 items which both went for $4.95, and I didn't win. The message on the Gixen summary page was "BID UNDER ASKING PRICE". I won another item with a bid of $8.01, beating the next bidder by 0.01c (he bid $8.00), so it can't be a minimum bid increment issue. Why was my bid not even placed on these items, when it was more than the winning bid?

Thanks
Dave
juangrande

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it was a bid increment issue. The bid increment in the range $1.00 - $4.99 is $0.25, so if the current price (current bid) was $4.95 at the time your bid of $5.00 was placed, your bid would be refused by eBay because it was less than $5.20 = $4.95 + $0.25 and Gixen would report BID UNDER ASKING PRICE, as you observed.

So how could you outbid someone by $0.01? The point is that the current price is not necessarily the amount the leading bidder actually bid: it is often a great deal less than the leading bidder's actual bid. For example, suppose the opening bid of an item is $5.00 and I bid $8.00. Then I will be the leading bidder and eBay will display the current price as $5.00. Then you come along and bid $8.01. Since $8.01 is greater than $5.00 + $0.50, eBay accepts your bid and you end up the winning bidder at $8.01.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
juangrande

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the official explanation of how you can be outbid by less than a bid increment, see the eBay help page at

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bid-increments.html

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
davebern

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I've often won auctions by a few cents, but never looked into the details. Now I know to be always at least one bid increment above the starting bid.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject:

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.