Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Is Gixen able to snipe at multiple items (Dutch) auctions ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kragoth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Is Gixen able to snipe at multiple items (Dutch) auctions ? Reply with quote

Hi I am trying to win a dutch auction. Total items up for grab are 2, but I want only 1 of the 2. Will Gixen help me to snipe for only 1 quantity in the last moments ?

Also what happenes if I manually put a bid in and Gixen also snipes in ? Manually I would like to put in Ebay at about 400 $ in the last minute but I want Gixen to snipe at 500 $ as a last resort in the last 5 seconds . What happens then ? What happens if the manual bid is still the winning bid, even if gixen sniped in at 500. Do I pay 400 or 500 or the lowest winning big for the other item ? Please help me.

TIA

Kragoth
nochkin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone will bid higher, you will win at your snipe and not lower so sniping Dutch auction with 2 items only is the worst case for sniper.
The only situation when you pay less is when the other winner will bid lower than you.
Kragoth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I dont want to snipe for both the items. There are 2 quantities available. I want to snipe only 1 quantity. Is that possible ?
juangrande

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can use Gixen to snipe a Dutch auction. Just select the quantity you want from the Quantity pull-down menu (1 is the default).

eBay will be discontinuing Dutch auctions in May, if memory serves. A link to the announcement is posted elsewhere in the forum.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kragoth wrote:
Also what happenes if I manually put a bid in and Gixen also snipes in ? Manually I would like to put in Ebay at about 400 $ in the last minute but I want Gixen to snipe at 500 $ as a last resort in the last 5 seconds . What happens then ? What happens if the manual bid is still the winning bid, even if gixen sniped in at 500. Do I pay 400 or 500 or the lowest winning big for the other item ?

The first part of your question has been answered above. So long as you are bidding on only 1 of the 2 then the second bid of 500 will not increase the price that you pay unless someone else has bid more than 400 for the second item.

If no-one else bids then the starting price is the lowest winning bid so that is what you pay, if someone else bids lower than 500 on 1 item then you will win at their bid amount, if someone else bids over 500 on 1 item you will win at 500, as will they. If someone else is prepared to bid over 500 for both of them then you lose and they pay the highest amount that they bid. I dont like dutch auctions because the price you pay is generally closer to what you are prepared to bid.

I wouldnt recommend placing any other bid manually, unless it is to remove a Buy It Now option that you are not willing to pay and even then not near the end of the auction. I dont think I have ever seen a Dutch auction with a removable Buy It Now, so I dont even know if that is possible.
rickyk4

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juangrande wrote:
Yes, you can use Gixen to snipe a Dutch auction. Just select the quantity you want from the Quantity pull-down menu (1 is the default).

eBay will be discontinuing Dutch auctions in May, if memory serves. A link to the announcement is posted elsewhere in the forum.

It's May now, and I got a dutch auction that I started just a few days ago. When does the new rules take effect in May?

So what's going to replace dutch auctions?
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyk4 wrote:

From what I read, eBay are suggesting that sellers convert them either into multiple item Buy It Nows or seperate auctions for each item.
rickyk4

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
rickyk4 wrote:

From what I read, eBay are suggesting that sellers convert them either into multiple item Buy It Nows or seperate auctions for each item.

Well, I hope they've figured out a way to link two or more separate auctions to enable people to offer shipping discounts and stuff like that, if multiple items are won by the same person.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyk4 wrote:
I hope they've figured out a way to link two or more separate auctions to enable people to offer shipping discounts and stuff like that, if multiple items are won by the same person.

Automatic shipping discounts have been a feature that is available to sellers for many years, I can remember setting them up myself when I sold some things on eBay. I haven't sold anything on eBay for some years now, but since I've had automatic discounts from many sellers without them having to intervene I can see they havent removed the feature... it does appear that many sellers dont set these things up though.

What other 'stuff like that'?
rickyk4

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
rickyk4 wrote:
I hope they've figured out a way to link two or more separate auctions to enable people to offer shipping discounts and stuff like that, if multiple items are won by the same person.

Automatic shipping discounts have been a feature that is available to sellers for many years, I can remember setting them up myself when I sold some things on eBay. I haven't sold anything on eBay for some years now, but since I've had automatic discounts from many sellers without them having to intervene I can see they havent removed the feature... it does appear that many sellers dont set these things up though.

What other 'stuff like that'?

Well, shipping discounts are the biggest issue. I can see how they can offer shipping discounts if multiple items are offered through the same Ebay listing, but I'm not sure how they offer it over multiple listings.

The other big issue is just the convenience factor for the seller. It's much easier to set up a single auction for multiple of the same items, than separate auctions. Also with one listing you can make revisions to the description of all items at once. Not to mention that you'll save on initial listing fees, if you have just the one listing.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'm sure it is possible to offer shipping discounts across multiple items, that was what I was talking about, its something you set up when listing items when you set your shipping rates. The problem with it I think for sellers comes when you are selling many different types of items with consequently different shipping rates.

Yes I can see it is easier to sell many on one listing, but its also quite easy to relist after you have sold one of an item... or use one of those 'sell one like this' buttons that I have seen around.

I'm sure eBay will take the opportunity to grab a bit more in listing fees, they usually do with any change... however that said they do seem to be moving their charging structure a bit more towards final value fees and away from listing fees, at least for private sellers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.