Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

summary row

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickyk4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: summary row Reply with quote

How about a summary row along the top that tells you how many auctions in total, how many have ended, won, lost, and in danger of losing? Perhaps even have it so that it stays fixed along the top while you scroll the rest of the page?
juangrande

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all things that can be done by using eBay's watch list or an auction management program (such as JBidWatcher). While I'm sure Mario could do this, I don't think it makes any sense for the Gixen serve to do this. It would make much more sense for someone to write a program that does this and uses the Gixen API to manage scheduled snipes on Gixen. That's my wish anyhow.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
rickyk4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juangrande wrote:
These are all things that can be done by using eBay's watch list or an auction management program (such as JBidWatcher). While I'm sure Mario could do this, I don't think it makes any sense for the Gixen serve to do this. It would make much more sense for someone to write a program that does this and uses the Gixen API to manage scheduled snipes on Gixen. That's my wish anyhow.

Yes, I know Ebay's watch list can do something like this, that's why I suggested it. However, Ebay's watch list can't warn you that your maximum bid is now too low. That's because you may not have even entered your maximum bid in Ebay yet, since you're trying to keep it a secret by doing that in Gixen instead. So only Gixen would know what your maximum bid is, therefore it should be Gixen that warns you. I can't see this as being too intensive for the Gixen servers, as it can be just a single row along the top of the bid status page.
juangrande

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyk4 wrote:
Yes, I know Ebay's watch list can do something like this, that's why I suggested it. However, Ebay's watch list can't warn you that your maximum bid is now too low. That's because you may not have even entered your maximum bid in Ebay yet, since you're trying to keep it a secret by doing that in Gixen instead. So only Gixen would know what your maximum bid is, therefore it should be Gixen that warns you. I can't see this as being too intensive for the Gixen servers, as it can be just a single row along the top of the bid status page.

Well, OK. Simply displaying a summary row as you describe it would not likely be much extra work for the Gixen servers. It would, however, be quite a bit of work for the Gixen developer (Mario).

It should be pointed out that Gixen does not keep the current price of auctions up to date dynamically: it updates them as a batch job every hour or so, if I recall correctly. The decision to do this was to reduce the load of this nonessential service on the Gixen servers, and it means that Gixen is next to useless for monitoring auctions, since the most important activity will likely occur in the last few minutes.

The point is that if you are considering amending your "maximum" bid, then it wasn't really your maximum and you should have done a better job deciding what your maximum bid was in the first place. I've said elsewhere on this forum that Gixen has helped train me to bid properly: since my bid is placed in the last six seconds, I'm forced to put in my honest maximum because I won't get a second chance. There is almost never a good reason to bid more than once. (The one possible exception is the situation where it is useful to place an early lowball bid to prevent the seller from changing the listing.)

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject:

rickyk4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juangrande wrote:
It should be pointed out that Gixen does not keep the current price of auctions up to date dynamically: it updates them as a batch job every hour or so, if I recall correctly. The decision to do this was to reduce the load of this nonessential service on the Gixen servers, and it means that Gixen is next to useless for monitoring auctions, since the most important activity will likely occur in the last few minutes.

The main point is to have a summary, that's all. If I've currently got a dozen or more bids going, it'll be easier to read a summary.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricky4, there is no summary, but the row in which bid becomes lower than the current price is painted in bright yellow. This is quite visible.
rickyk4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
Ricky4, there is no summary, but the row in which bid becomes lower than the current price is painted in bright yellow. This is quite visible.

Yes, I know, which means you're already doing something to distinguish bids which are below current bids. I'm just asking to extend that out a bit. The idea of the summary row isn't only for underwater bids, there's plenty of other stats that are useful. You can have Won & Lost on Ended items, you can have Winning & Losing on pending items, you can have items about to end soon (like in Ebay, pending within 24 hours), you can have number of open groups. It may not be a huge deal for the members who are limited to 10 bids, but I'm sometimes approaching 20 bids pending.

And it would be useful to have filters which will allow one to view just the pending bids vs. ended bids, or to filter on a particular group number.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll see what I can do, but can't promise anything until I see how much more complicated the interface would be. It gets to be confusing to the new users if I overcrowd it with different controls.
DolphinDog66

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: summary rows Reply with quote

Quote:
How about a summary row along the top that tells you how many auctions in total, how many have ended, won, lost, and in danger of losing? Perhaps even have it so that it stays fixed along the top while you scroll the rest of the page?

This is a good suggestion but misses the main point. Your colour changes cover all his criteria and you would still need to scroll down afterwards.

Where a summery would be useful is total liability - i.e. your total spend if all snipes were successful.

You could include the highest bid in any group.

I've been with Gixen a month now - it's a total bargain at $6. If you never make another improvement you can still count me in!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.