Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Forum login enabling?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cross3_16

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Forum login enabling? Reply with quote

Hi Mario,

I'm wondering where you stand on enabling a login for the Gixen forum. I can see a number of benefits:
1. Not having to type your name in each time
2. Not having to select "Yes" for guest posts each time
3. You can then edit or delete your own spurious posts.
4. The "view new posts since last visit" feature will actually work, rather than having to manually find new posts.
5. You could then search for posts by user
6. If people have to take the time to sign up, you might deter the passing incompetent deadbeats who post "gixen is crap i tried it its broken"

I can see a few downsides:
1. Time taken to login (but we already have to type in our username anyway)
2. Time taken to signup (but this would be counteracted by benefit 1.)
3. Time taken to administer forum accounts (is this significant? I don't know)
4. Less people may post on the forum due to sign-up effort (this may be a good thing - see benefit 6. Also I'm sure forum replying probably takes up most of your time as it is so perhaps a "quality over quantity" approach wouldn't hurt)

Anyway, there's my 2 cents.
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this were enabled care would need to be taken that users credentials (e.g. email addresses) are not made available to everyone after a post has been made by the signed in user.

This is a problem on some other sites where login is required.

I'm not saying its a bad idea... just that there are other issues involved.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason this is set this way is - I wanted users to be able to post messages as easily as possible without going through the lengthy process of registration (this drives people away).

After all, I applied the same philosophy to Gixen as well - I think Gixen is the only sniping service that does not require registration.
cross3_16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Forum login for members Reply with quote

Good reasons Mario.

I was going to see if you could set up email notification when someone replies to your post... but again that probably requires login activation doesn't it...

Hmmm, here's an idea... what about forum logins for the regulars/those that ask for it/those that want to help out? The forum seems to recognise you (either that or you are manually making your name green each time, which I doubt)

I'm happy to reply to Gixen newbies with their newbie questions (leaving you more time to deal with the harder questions). But I think this would only be effective if I could see new posts, I'm not a fan of trawling Smile
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Forum login for members

mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with this is - once people see the "registration" link, they'll assume it's necessary. On the other hand, it would save me a lot of time, as other people (like yourself) would answer questions as well. I'll think about it.
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Moderators Reply with quote

Mario,

I think that cross3_16 is volunteering to be a moderator for the board.... I'm sure he/she will contradict me if I'm mistaken. Is it perhaps possible for you to set up moderators without forcing all posters to register, or even have a registration link?

If you find your service and forum expanding further I think you may ned some help in that respect... I'd also be willing to be a moderator if you need some... I'm in the UK so could cover some of the hours you are sleeping... though I note you don't do as much of that as perhaps you should ! Wink
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Moderators Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
I think that cross3_16 is volunteering to be a moderator for the board.... I'm sure he/she will contradict me if I'm mistaken. Is it perhaps possible for you to set up moderators without forcing all posters to register, or even have a registration link?

Give me couple of days to think about it... it's probably better to enable registration.

Mark wrote:
If you find your service and forum expanding further I think you may ned some help in that respect... I'd also be willing to be a moderator if you need some... I'm in the UK so could cover some of the hours you are sleeping... though I note you don't do as much of that as perhaps you should ! Wink

I never sleep, you didn't figure that out thus far? Very Happy
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you can register for the forum if you wish so, upload your own avatar, enable email notifications, etc.

Go to gixen.com/forumadmin/index.php, click on 'register' and follow the instructions.
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
Now you can register for the forum if you wish so, upload your own avatar, enable email notifications, etc.

Go to gixen.com/forumadmin/index.php, click on 'register' and follow the instructions.

Once I'm logged in I can't seem to post...
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Once I'm logged in I can't seem to post...

Do you get an error message? What happens?
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the last one worked as you can see...

But then I logged in again and got:

Error in posting

DEBUG MODE

INSERT INTO posts (topic_id, forum_id, poster_id, post_username, post_time, poster_ip, enable_bbcode, enable_html, enable_smilies, enable_sig) VALUES (696, 3, 10, '', 1186670683, '4d632294', 1, 0, 1, 1)

Line : 240
File : functions_post.php

... I think it's to do with the avatar I tried to upload... I get an error message that I think relates to permissions to store it on the server.. unfortunately it disappears before I can cut and paste it.
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, I managed to copy the error I get when uploading an avatar:

Warning: copy(./images/avatars/12316652446bb2a8a101b3.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/forumadmin/includes/usercp_avatar.php on line 288

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/forumadmin/includes/usercp_avatar.php:288) in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/forumadmin/includes/page_header.php on line 483

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/forumadmin/includes/usercp_avatar.php:288) in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/forumadmin/includes/page_header.php on line 485

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/forumadmin/includes/usercp_avatar.php:288) in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/forumadmin/includes/page_header.php on line 486
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I can see your avatar, I am also able to post... when I can't I get the failure two posts previous to this one
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's weird, post_flagged variable in that query is empty and it has to be non-null... As I don't care about this field, I added a line of code in front of it to change it to 0 if empty.

I'm just fixing the avatar issue... Wait...
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think I fixed all the issues.
Please first try to upload your avatar again, then try to post.
Let me know if you get any errors this time.
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the avatar upload works... I can see it anyway... But then I got:

Error in posting

DEBUG MODE

INSERT INTO posts (topic_id, forum_id, poster_id, post_username, post_time, poster_ip, enable_bbcode, enable_html, enable_smilies, enable_sig) VALUES (696, 3, 10, '', 1186672345, '4d632294', 1, 0, 1, 1)

Line : 244

when trying to post
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please email me your forum password (it's saved as hash in the db, so please save me the hassle)...

When I register a new account, I'm not getting any error while posting, so it must be something specific with your forum account...
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
Please email me your forum password (it's saved as hash in the db, so please save me the hassle)...

When I register a new account, I'm not getting any error while posting, so it must be something specific with your forum account...

I've changed it (because I use that pasword elsewhere)... and will email the value I've changed it to... just checking by posting this that there is still a problem
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario,

Well as you can see it now works... perhaps I managed to use an old version of the software before you fixed it?...

hmm... well I think I need to try to track down what I'm doing that is different when it fails... if it happens again I'll email you the password... but for the moment everything seems to be fixed,

Thanks Mario
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks for helping with this and reporting the problems.
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Cupid forum account Reply with quote

Mario,

I'm getting this again:

Error in posting

DEBUG MODE

INSERT INTO posts (topic_id, forum_id, poster_id, post_username, post_time, poster_ip, enable_bbcode, enable_html, enable_smilies, enable_sig) VALUES (721, 2, 10, '', 1186745046, '4d632294', 1, 0, 1, 1)

Line : 244

... this was on my second post after logging in, and continued till I logged out, I had selected the php logo to get the list of the forums, then the 'list all posts since my last visit' then a new post, then a reply and then the post, which failed as above.

... I'll send you the password for the forum account as you suggested yesterday.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be fixed now, please try again...
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test post No 1, just after logging in
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mario fixed it in record time... again!
the3coopers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:

Mario - you need to add a link to this page on the Main (forum) Index page or somewhere : http://www.gixen.com/forumadmin/index.php

I had to come back and find this thread so I could edit my profile !!

You are linking to http://www.gixen.com/forum/index.php - and that has PHP Includes for your little navigation tabs.

What happens if you change all links to http://www.gixen.com/forumadmin/index.php - and add the Includes to that instead ?

Also, on http://www.gixen.com/forumadmin/index.php - the phpBB logo needs to change to a Gixen logo too Wink
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I'm not linking it is because I don't want new users to get impression they need to register in order to post. I enabled it only because people wouldn't stop asking for it. Smile

I changed the logo to Gixen logo on this page, thanks for reminding me.
juangrande

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Mario, for keeping the Gixen interface clean. I agree that a link on the main forum page is not necessary. In fact, not linking it means that us registered users can feel like we're members of "the club", just like people who order items at In'N'Out Burger that aren't on the posted menu. Smile Perhaps it will be useful to have a link in a FAQ page sometime, but those of us "in the club" can save the link for ourselves. Very Happy

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
rekerdguy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juangrande wrote:
just like people who order items at In'N'Out Burger that aren't on the posted menu. Very Happy

I'll have a 3x3 please! Razz
threemilechild3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: no authorization code Reply with quote

I don't seem to have gotten an auth code, though it says my name (threemilechild) is taken. I searched through my Bulk folder for "gixen," and nothing showed up. (I use yahoo mail.)
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to log in now (without auth code using threemilechild username). Some mailers refuse email from Gixen. Don't know why.
threemilechild

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Adam Baume

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Can't upload my avatar Reply with quote

New member saying hello, and looking for a little help at the same time.

When I try to upload my avatar I get the following error message.

-----<cut by mario>-----

No urgency for anything this trivial, but would really appreciate any help you can offer when time permits.

Thank's
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please try again, it should work now.
Adam Baume

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was quick! Very Happy

Said there was no urgency, but if this is how you support your subccribers, this is the best $6.00 I've spent in a very long time.

Thank's Mario.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.