Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

losing bid question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fussyoldfart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: losing bid question Reply with quote

I just lost an auction to a bidder who managed to beat my ODD Amount bid by exactly one dollar one second BEFORE my Gixen bid went in. The increments were 50 cents but the winning bid was exactly one dollar more than mine even though I deliberately used a bid maximum that was twenty cents out of synch. To me it appears as if he could see my bid coming and bid a dollar more but, I repeat, according to the bidding record his bid preceded mine by one second. I suppose there can be coincidences but this sure has me wondering what happened. Does anyone have any light to throw on this?
juangrande

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the closing price was exactly one dollar more than your bid, then the bid increment was probably one dollar. This is the way eBay works: the closing price is the second-highest bid plus up to one bid increment. In your case, it sounds like the closing price was exactly one bid increment more than your bid, which indicates that the winning bidder bid at least one dollar more than you (and could have bid much more). Timing has nothing to do with this.

If you provide us with an auction number, we could take a look at the bid history to verify this.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
fussyoldfart

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: losing bid question Reply with quote

Yep, here's the item and when I look at the bids I see them going up by 50 cents except for the last one. I don't mind being outbid but I don't understand the timing.

ViewItem&item=230280622206

This may be a duplicate submission but I took out the words that the spam filter doesn't like.
juangrande

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's the bid history:

Code:

Bidder          Bid Amount   Bid Time
------          ----------   --------
nomorespam18    US $26.70    Aug-16 8:24:53 pm *
r***s           US $25.70    Aug-16 8:24:54 pm *
.***c           US $20.01    Aug-16 3:29:29 pm *
5***5           US $16.01    Aug-16 7:21:16 pm *
5***5           US $13.01    Aug-16 7:20:43 pm *
v***e           US $12.00    Aug-15 11:26:59 pm *
.***c           US $10.00    Aug-15 7:31:25 pm *
Starting Price  US $10.00    Aug-11 8:25:00 pm *

According to the help page on bid increments at http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bid-increments.html , the bid increment is $1.00 for bids between $25.00 and $99.99. Thus, the showing price when you bid was $20.51 ($20.01 + $0.50 increment), but when you bid $25.70, you kicked it into the $1.00 bid increment bracket. Since your bid was at least a dollar less than the winner's bid, the winning bidder won it for a $1.00 bid increment more than your bid, just as I suggested in my previous post.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Impressions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.