Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Other Auctions Sites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tumbleweed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Other Auctions Sites Reply with quote

Any chance of expanding this to other auctions sites? Since ebay has broke its search feature, how about a search feature to include ebay and other auction sites. Since the new fees, no buyer feedback, and possibility of Paypal holding money for 21 days, sellers are jumping ship and going elsewhere.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What other auction sites do you have in mind? At this point I don't know of any that have more than couple of percent of ebay's traffic.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones I see mentioned most often in the UK are eBid and tazbar.

However as a buyer of rare collectibles neither has reached what I would call 'critical mass' yet, meaning there are not enough sellers to make it worth my while trying to find anything I might want to bid on.

I keep trying every few months but I still find its not worth my time yet.
samhale123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's Yahoo Auctions, but sniping wouldn't work on that as it automatically extends by 5 mins if you bid in the last 5 mins.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject:

nochkin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samhale123 wrote:
There's Yahoo Auctions, but sniping wouldn't work on that as it automatically extends by 5 mins if you bid in the last 5 mins.

AFAIK, Yahoo Auctions for US is closed anyway. Permanently.
samhale123

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally I want one for swapitshop Very Happy

Unfortunetly there's no API Sad

Is there a way where php can 'remove' information from a webpage, than fill in a form based on the ifnrotmation it recieves?

I thought not Very Happy
nochkin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samhale123 wrote:
Is there a way where php can 'remove' information from a webpage, than fill in a form based on the ifnrotmation it recieves?

I thought not Very Happy

You can do it in any modern language, not just php. The only problem is that php can't do it by itself, someone has to do it (spend some time investigating and developing such application).
Normandy_Niemen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The growing site for collectibles in continental, western Europe is Delcampe. Mario, is there a chance you can do something for us here ?

Best, Cool
N-N
nochkin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normandy_Niemen wrote:
The growing site for collectibles in continental, western Europe is Delcampe. Mario, is there a chance you can do something for us here ?

Sniping has no sense there.
"If someone places a bid a couple minutes before the auction ends, the ending time is automatically postponed to let other bidders the opportunity to react in time."
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nochkin wrote:
Normandy_Niemen wrote:

Sniping has no sense there.
"If someone places a bid a couple minutes before the auction ends, the ending time is automatically postponed to let other bidders the opportunity to react in time."

I think if I were interested in items from such a site my strategy would be to snibble 3 or 4 minutes before the auction ended, by which I mean that I'd place incremental bids (up to my maximum) until I was the high bidder. Then if I was outbid I would nibble again, obviously all below my true maximum. This could be automated, however it would be very different from the gixen operation.
Normandy_Niemen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nochkin wrote:

Who wrote that ? Rolling Eyes There is indeed an optional extension by one minute if a bid is placed in the last minute, but this is only an option, and only for the last minute.

So sniping has a sense, and this is the strategy I use everyday. Only a few of the sellers activate that option, and only a very few of the bidders monitor their bids to react accordingly... Twisted Evil

All best,
N-N
GaryKyle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst this may help you out, I think you've got to consider that poor ol' Mario has enough on his hands with improvements to Gixen, and is unlikely to see any benefit in starting from scratch on a whole new system (which is what it would be) for another auction site that gets barely a single percent of the traffic that eBay does...

Maybe this is something you could investigate doing yourself?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it wouldn't be like doing everything from scratch, but it's a lot of work nevertheless. The size it is now, it just doesn't make sense. I'll keep looking, who knows, maybe it becomes bigger soon.
samhale123

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normandy_Niemen wrote:
nochkin wrote:

Who wrote that ? Rolling Eyes There is indeed an optional extension by one minute if a bid is placed in the last minute, but this is only an option, and only for the last minute.

So sniping has a sense, and this is the strategy I use everyday. Only a few of the sellers activate that option, and only a very few of the bidders monitor their bids to react accordingly... Twisted Evil

All best,
N-N

It looks like standard procedure, judging by the help page, which it is quoted from.
Normandy_Niemen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, the English help pages look like a rough translation from French... The latter are much more detailed, just replace the "language,E" with "language,F" in U.R.L.s Shocked

The major drawback I see with that option, is that for some unknown reason, there's no way no know from the beginning if the seller has activated it. In short, it will appear only at the end of the sale...

Mario, you're right in writing that there's no other auction site which has more than couple of percent of ebay's traffic. It's just that Delcampe has reached the critical mass thanks to free listings and automatic relisting of unsold items, for some specific items like collectibles, it has hundreds time more than eBay.

Best,
N-N
tumbling-g-g-gtumbleweed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, sorry I disappeared for awhile, kept forgetting to come back here when I was on the computer.

Some of the sites that has been talked about on ebay forums are, ebizauctions, blujay, bidville, epier, ecrater, onlineauctions, overstock, ioffer, digg, ewaey.

It is probably going to take a while for any of the sites to become large enough to even consider adding them to this site. Sellers are scattering to different places.

Bad thing is finding stuff. It is just not possible to look at multiple sites for things I normally search for on ebay, at least for me.

Going to be a while before the dust settles.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tumbling-g-g-gtumbleweed wrote:
Bad thing is finding stuff. It is just not possible to look at multiple sites for things I normally search for on ebay, at least for me.

I think it's a good idea for a new venture, I'd certainly use it if I could set up saved searches that ran automatically on a regular basis.

Especially if it also sent its findings automatically say by email like eBays' saved searches or via an RSS feed.

The question is how much would we all pay for such a service and would that be enough to make it worth while someone developing it?

With sellers trying new options as you suggest, perhaps that time is coming?

Last edited by Cupid on Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total
tumbling-g-g-gtumbleweed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have made comments about picking one site or spreading to multiple sites. Going to one site would help in buyers and sellers finding each other, but it could end up with another auction monopoly in 10 years. Using and building up different sites would give competition, hopefully, and people would not have to depend on one good site to sell their items.

Yeah, that pesky cost to develop and operate is a problem. But if sellers are spreading to the 4 winds, it might be a good venture.
breboen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Delcampe ? It's a collectors only site
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

breboen wrote:
How about Delcampe ? It's a collectors only site

Its already been discussed on this thread... see earlier.
billyNomates

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Vote Reply with quote

I would like to throw out delcampe again. Since March 2008 it has rapidly grown. Snippys.net and Bidnapper both support them but they are a lot more than $7 a year. I would even be willing to pay a second $7 for delcampe.
frost

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to find Delcampe at delcampe dot net but does anybody know the web site for the "continental" collectible auction site mentioned earlier?

Thanks.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frost,

I think the one that you have found is the one that was being talked about.
frost

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Delcampe serves 'continental, western Europe'. Thanks again.

You know, the problem with these web sites that offer free auction or store listings is that the sellers have no motivation to set a realistic price. They just set a high price and hope that some sucker bites. For my purposes I haven't seen any sites save eBay that would be worth sniping. But then I haven't been thru tumbleweed's full list yet.
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is right.

I agree with your findings, so far, in addition other sites do not have the diversity of listings that I need/want... I very rarely find anything that I am interested in on them, so my time is not well spent trying to use them.

I think the issue with high prices is also related to the lack of sales that sellers get through these sites, they need to price high in order to make it worth their while, time wise, to support these sites. Yes the fact that they dont pay listing fees compounds that to some extent, but if they introduced them the sellers wouldn't bother with those sites at all.

The lack of sales I think is related to the lack of overall visibility of the listings, buyers like myself dont find it worthwhile searching many different sites when they are unlikely to find what they are looking for. Perhaps they all need to club together to fund and produce a global search tool that would actually attract buyers across the sites since they would then have one place to go to see if anything they want is available across all their sites... the only real contender in that space at the moment is google, but that is not well suited to finding things quickly enough and informing buyers that items they are interested in are available in an automatic manner.

It's a shame that none of the alternative sites has yet reached 'critical mass' on its own, as a buyer, I would be quite willing to use a real alternative to eBay, probably still in conjunction with eBay itself, if there were such a thing.
frost

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a collector in a very specialized niche and eBay is far and away the largest marketplace for what I am interested in. I did go thru the rest of tumbleweed's sites and disregarding the same items offered on multiple sites only found a handful of items of interest to me. Currently there are over 800 items in that category on eBay.

For my purposes it would be better to lobby these auction sites to provide better automated searches so I wouldn't have to spend the time to manually search them than to ask Mario to provide sniping services for them.
datuk_kk

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: I want Gixen in Malaysia auction site Reply with quote

I would be very happy if Gixen starts something in Malaysia. Every Wednesday, there is a superbid for one day only, where iphones and LCD TV starts biding at RM1.00. If I can win 10 iphones and 5 42" LCD TV, I will donate all of the savings to Gixen for the research cost. Check out .lelong.com.my
I just want to use Gixen there too.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

datuk_kk, I get many similar requests. Unfortunately none of these markets is anywhere close to ebay's size to make it worthwhile, at least not at these prices. While you may be ready to pay a substantial fee for such a service, most other users probably wouldn't, and it's the volume that makes such businesses succeed, not a few users paying high fees.
nochkin

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

datuk_kk,
There is no much point in it anyway. The time will be extended automatically when you snipe at last seconds. It's called "Dynamic Bidding Rules".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.