Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Bidding on one iten and it's turned into another.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redcastril

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Bidding on one iten and it's turned into another. Reply with quote

I was bidding on a Misty in Roots 7" single. I get an email from Gixen saying I've been outbid, only my Misty 45 has turned into a J J Cale LP item 255569322628. I definitely haven't bid on a J J Cale LP and the Misty in Roots single has vanished from Ebay, from my Gixen snipes list, it's not showing in my recently viewed items, and it doesn't feature in completed items either. What's going on?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be the first time Gixen turns one item into another, but I will sure check. What is the other item id?

Gixen saves in history every item and title you enter, delete or edit. Click on the history button and look for it there. If you don't see it, it's likely you entered a wrong item id in the first place.
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As detailed here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/rvh/255569322628?rt=nc

the seller made substantial revisions to the listing on the 9th June.

They are able to do this if there are no bids at the time.
redcastril

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the seller has entered a completely different item under the same listing number? That seems a bit off. If I hadn't had a message from gixen to say I'd been outbid (actually my bid was under the new price) I'd never have known and may have ended up wining something I never placed a bid on.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject:

Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. it's very rare, but I've seen it happen before, presumably the seller sold the original item elsewhere.

On items without any bids the only way to be certain it can't happen is to place an opening low bid.

I think sellers may be restricted on updates in the last day too, so another safeguard may be to check things with less than 24 hours to go, if you can.

I once saw a seller list 50 identical things I wanted, on a free listing weekend, and then gradually throughout the week all but one of them changed into something else... obviously the seller didn't want to miss out on all those listing fees, but didn't have time to list everything they wanted to sell over that weekend ...
redcastril

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted the seller and that's exactly what he did.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I say, it's rare, probably most sellers don't even realise it's possible to do, mostly they just end the listing if they sell an item elsewhere.

If it were to become a major issue, perhaps a suggestion for a Gixen extension might be that, if it noticed the title of the item had changed that it provided a warning to the Gixen user that had an active snipe on that item.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He hasn't sold the item anywhere else, just decided he was going to list it at a later date.

It was just lucky for me he advertised the new item at a price 99p above my bid for the other item prompting an outbid notice from Gixen.

I've seen listings before which have been full of blanks, no pictures, and text which reads, 'Photographs and item details coming soon'. Always wondered what that was about and now I know. They've obviously opened a bunch of listings for free just in case they want to use them later in the week.

Probably would be useful if GIxen could add a 'revision' alert. After all you may be bidding on a mint record, somebody revises that after they find a huge scratch across it, but you don't know that because you don't check once you've placed a bid. That's what I do- I put a bunch of bids on then wait until I get an email saying 'you were outbid', or, 'you won'.
Ramona

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's something that I've always been concerned about, as well.

I'll see an item that I want to buy, add it to Gixen, and then forget about it until I get the end-of-auction email.

However, if the seller amends the listing in a way that devalues the item (e.g. finding a crack in a record, as mentioned above), then I have no way of knowing, and my initial snipe amount stands. The obvious risk is that I then overpay - or even end up buying something that I don't want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.