Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

bids above buy it now

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: bids above buy it now Reply with quote

Why not go ahead and bid the amount place. Just because it is above the buy it now price. That means that I want the item but would like to get it lower but I want to make sure I get it. You did not place the higher bid and I LOST IT. Very disappointing. You do not need to make that decision for me.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not! It's ebay that doesn't accept a bid higher than BIN. Try to do it manually and you'll get the same error.
nochkin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickai,
I think you are missing the whole point of sniping.
If you wish to buy up to 50.00 and "buy it now" is at 30.00, then you should do buy it now instead of sniping.
If you want to pay less than 30.00 actually then you should snipe less than this amount.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was previously discussed at some length here:

http://www.gixen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1105

... as a result Mario made some changes, however as described in that thread there are still occasions when eBay will not accept bids above the BIN, and how to detect those yourself, when you do find those I suggest you bid/snipe just below the BIN.

To go further and detect the situation, and lower your bid amount in this fashion (which I think logically is what you would do if you were bidding manually) would, in my opinion, be a waste of resources since this feature would be very rarely used if implemented. As I explained, in that thread, I for one, would never use such a feature for the reasons I set out about the features of the auctions in which I take interest.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject:

nochkin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
To go further and detect the situation, and lower your bid amount in this fashion (which I think logically is what you would do if you were bidding manually) would, in my opinion, be a waste of resources...

Once Buy It Now is gone, you can bid higher... But Gixen won't be tracking auction to detect this change (as you say it's another waste of resources).
On another hand, I still don't know why someone want to snipe at higher than BIN.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nochkin wrote:
On another hand, I still don't know why someone want to snipe at higher than BIN.

The reason they want to do it is, they are prepared to pay the BIN price (or even slightly higher), they don't mind missing out to someone else buying it for the BIN, but if there is no other, or very little, interest in the auction they want to save some money on the final price.

It makes sense, it just wouldn't ever work for me because I would always lose out to someone buying at the BIN. My strategy involves trying to spot things as early as possible so that in the cases where the BIN is below my comfortable price I can be the one to get it first, or knock out the BIN with a low bid if the starting price is well below what I'm prepared to pay... some I win some I lose, just depends how quickly I spot them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.