Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Is Gixen suitable for Linux?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lehmeier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject: Is Gixen suitable for Linux? Reply with quote

Good day!
I am looking for a current Ebaysniper for Linux.
Gixen makes the impression that it could work.

Now a few requirements.
1. it should be suitable for linux.
2. it should be installable and updatable via a package manager.
3. it must be updated in a timely manner, because Ebay is always fiddling with its login process.
4. it must store all data on my computer and not phone home.
5. whether it's an extension for Firefox or works as a standalone doesn't matter.

What is true about Gixen and is it reasonably manageable?

Sincerely R.Lehmeier

Translated with DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gixen is a service, not an application.

As such it is Gixen servers that perform the main function of placing bids on Ebay for you in the last few seconds of the auction.

The only interface you need to set up your snipes is the web interface that you have here when you log in via the 'LOG IN NOW' button at the top of the pages. This interface operates within any web browser, it's not operating system specific.

There is an optional monitoring tool known as the Gixen Desktop Manager which runs in Windows environment, but it is not necessary to use this tool in order to gain the benefits of using Gixen. The only advantage that provides is the ability to monitor auction price updates in real time. In any case if that function is important to you others have found that they are able to run it successfully on Linux within a Windows emulator like Wine.

Snipe data is stored on Gixen servers and deleted once no longer required, it does not store any such data on your computer or phone.

It is not necessary to run any Gixen software on your computer in order for snipes to be successfully executed, once you have scheduled your snipes if you wish you can switch your computer off and walk away until after the auction completes. You only need to turn it back on to check whether or not you have won and then pay the seller whenever you have.

Gixen has been maintained, by Mario, for many years in line with Ebay requirements and updates. Certainly Ebay changes over time but Mario has always shown himself more than capable of keeping up with them.
Lehmeier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: is gixen suitable to Linux Reply with quote

Okay, I was dreading such a statement.
I've had bad experiences before and don't need that again.
So I'm looking for an application that runs locally, but a big thank you for your quick and detailed reply.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to learn what the disadvantages are of a service, as compared to an application running on your own computer.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:57 pm    Post subject:

mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: is gixen suitable to Linux Reply with quote

Lehmeier wrote:
Okay, I was dreading such a statement.
I've had bad experiences before and don't need that again.
So I'm looking for an application that runs locally, but a big thank you for your quick and detailed reply.

You will not find that any longer. JBidWatcher was the last one (and most popular of a kind), but a lot of things changed on the technical side of what is possible with eBay now. Standalone apps are history.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.