Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Linked Grouped Bids (?? I think ??) and End Time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stook2001

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Linked Grouped Bids (?? I think ??) and End Time Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

New subscriber here (although prior Gixen user). Two questions... first is configuration question for setting up a bunch of snipes. I'm not certain how best to set this up.

I am watching about 10 auctions currently for two different items (5 each). The first item's auctions end within roughly 4 minutes of each other, the second item's auctions begin in the next 4 minute interval. I want to purchase one of each item. If I fail to win an item from the first item group then I do not want to bid on anything from the second item group.

I have a very similar scenario to the above except that the two item groups overlap in timing. Can this also be handled?

Finally, is there a way to see the auction end times down to the second? In some of the above cases, I am showing more than one auction with the same end time (rounded to the minute, I think, both here and on the Ebay site). I am guessing there is more precision on the end time? Or not?

Many thanks!! I realize this is an involved use case just not sure how to set it up as I have never used any of the grouping and contingency features, which I suspect I need here.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are talking about a combination of normal group, for your two groups and contingency grouping between the two groups.

However, unfortunately, it is not currently possible to perform a contingency operation between two groups, it only applies at the auction level allowing you only to cancel later auctions as the result of losing an earlier one and an auction can only belong to one Group of any type.

You'd need to set them up as two separate normal groups and then monitor the first group in real time, and then in the couple of minutes between the first group ending and the second beginning, if you have not won an item in the first group you'd need to manually delete all the items in the second. This can be done in one operation via the toggle buttons and the big red cross at the top of the snipes. Not ideal but just about workable if you are able to monitor the ending of the auctions in the first group.

Your second scenario, as you've described, sounds logically impossible anyway. You can't possibly know whether to bid on an item based on the outcome of an auction that finishes after it does, you'd need a time machine for that. So even with a more flexible implementation of Gixen grouping you'd need to decide exactly what you wanted to do in each possible scenario.

As to displays of end times, the seconds starts to be displayed on the Gixen web page once you are in the last day, which is similar in some respects to the display Ebay has chosen on the auction page itself.
stook2001

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
Yes, you are talking about a combination of normal group, for your two groups and contingency grouping between the two groups.

However, unfortunately, it is not currently possible to perform a contingency operation between two groups, it only applies at the auction level allowing you only to cancel later auctions as the result of losing an earlier one and an auction can only belong to one Group of any type.

You'd need to set them up as two separate normal groups and then monitor the first group in real time, and then in the couple of minutes between the first group ending and the second beginning, if you have not won an item in the first group you'd need to manually delete all the items in the second. This can be done in one operation via the toggle buttons and the big red cross at the top of the snipes. Not ideal but just about workable if you are able to monitor the ending of the auctions in the first group.

Ok, point taken on the 1st part of the reply. That's unfortunate that I can't make participation in a 2nd group contingent upon the outcome of the 1st group. I'll have to think about whether I can organize this into one group somehow. Is there a way for me to configure the bids for a group to allow purchases on two items but not more?

The end times are going to be tight so I might just have to monitor it manually. But that will be challenging in this case since, in reality, there are numerous group pairs running simultaneously that are all ending over a span of about 10 minutes so some sort of automation would be highly preferable.

Cupid wrote:
Your second scenario, as you've described, sounds logically impossible anyway. You can't possibly know whether to bid on an item based on the outcome of an auction that finishes after it does, you'd need a time machine for that. So even with a more flexible implementation of Gixen grouping you'd need to decide exactly what you wanted to do in each possible scenario.

I didn't fully carefully explain this scenario, perhaps. Given that the simpler case isn't supported then this likely won't be supported either but what I was actually getting at was something along the lines of this:

Item A(1) - ends at 1:00 ---> Lost
Item B(1) - ends at 1:03 ---> Conditional "Don't Bid" due to lost A(1)
Item A(2) - ends at 1:04 ---> Conditional "Bid" due to lost A(1) ---> WON
Item A(3) - ends at 1:05 ---> Conditional "Don't Bid" due to won A(2)
Item B(2) - ends at 1:07 ---> Conditional "Bid" due to won A(2) ---> WON

Cupid wrote:
As to displays of end times, the seconds starts to be displayed on the Gixen web page once you are in the last day, which is similar in some respects to the display Ebay has chosen on the auction page itself.

Ahhhh hah, somehow I hadn't ever noticed that over all the years I've used Ebay. Is there at least a way to know the sequence of when the auctions will actually end prior to the final day? I'm just trying to pre-organize my bidding and would sort of prefer not to scramble on the last day. If it's just not possible, so be it. If I sort in the Ebay client by End Date it's difficult to know whether it's actually doing the sort since I can't see the seconds precision. I realize this is probably more of an Ebay question than a Gixen question but figured I'd wax on about it nonetheless!

thank you for your assistance!!!
stook2001

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick followup on my last comment about the auction end times. Poked around a little more and confirm that the sorting in the watch list on the Ebay web client is accurate. It is possible to see the auction start time with full precision for items that have received a bid. If there is no bid then you cannot see this data from the client (a bit annoying but whatever).
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can configure a group to provide you a set number of wins, that's done in the Multi-win groups section of the Settings page. You may well find it more useful to use this and organise your groups differently than try to use contingency groups.

As you surmised, the logic involved with your detailed use case can not currently be automated using Gixen. You'd need to set it up something like, as a Contingency Group with A(1) and B(1) a separate Contingency Group for A(2) and A(3) and an ungrouped snipe for B(2) and then manage the rest manually by changing the grouping of later snipes or deleting them as you went along. To be honest I think providing functionality to program a scenario like that would challenge the vast majority of Gixen users in its use and probably just confuse the majority of them.

As far as I am aware Gixen always displays snipes in the order in which they will end. For those ending at exactly the same time however the order is going to be randomised.

Last edited by Cupid on Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
stook2001

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to Cupid

Just wanted to post a quick thanks for your assistance. The auctions that I was discussing just completed tonight and worked out quite well for me overall. I ended up setting up about 12 combinations of groups, contingent groups, and standalone snipes involving over 40 auctions all ending in parallel over an 8 minute window. The whole thing worked about as well as I could have hoped. This was definitely the most involved array of auctions that I have ever tried to manage --- pretty wild to see it all play out in real-time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.