Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Just lost a car on eBay Motors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
c0rbin9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Just lost a car on eBay Motors Reply with quote

I won't say how much it was, but it was $25k plus.

I double checked everything, made sure my credit card and ebay authorization were good, even manually bid a few days in advance to make sure a bid over $25k would go through.

Was willing to bid way higher than the final bid, so would have won the car.

Gixen (with mirror) just says "You are not eligible to bid on this item."

I was bidding manually with 5 seconds left as a fail safe, a login screen flashed that said I had been too many times and need to verify, then it sent me to a screen to enter credit card details for age verification. Very weird.

Lesson learned, maybe sniping is not the best strategy for expensive items where other verification may be required. Wish I had known about this before!
c0rbin9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a really rare car that I had been looking for for a long time.

I have to say, now I feel stupid that I decided to snipe on such a desired item. It would have been smarter to have bid earlier, even if it would have meant paying a little more. My bid was high enough above the final bid that I still would have probably won, even with people bidding it up in the last minute or so.

Ebay ID 324757017221
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the lesson here is that Ebay sometimes requires further verification when you bid on items that are either in a very different category than you normally buy in, or if the value is higher and hence the amount you are bidding is significantly more than you have spent via Ebay before.

Thank you for sharing your experience, I'm sorry that this Ebay algorithm confounded you on this occasion.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a more detailed error message received by Gixen:

"To ensure that eBay remains a safe marketplace, we limit the quantity of items that can be bought or sold by a single account at one time.
These limits may change over time and are determined by your previous site activity and overall performance. Currently, your account has
reached the limit for bidding and buying. If purchasing using web browser, you can increase this limit by providing additional verification
by following the given directions. If purchasing using mobile app, please re-attempt your purchase on a web browser to provide additional verification. {e78038-638862x}"
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject:

mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I filed a ticket for this with eBay. A way to check for this ahead of time is needed. When this happens - everyone loses - buyer, seller, Gixen (reputation-wise) and eBay (in final values fees).
c0rbin9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
I filed a ticket for this with eBay. A way to check for this ahead of time is needed. When this happens - everyone loses - buyer, seller, Gixen (reputation-wise) and eBay (in final values fees).

Thank you for that. Interesting to see Ebay's explanation for why they put a freeze on my account. It makes it seem like I was bidding a lot, but my only bids before placing my final bid was a single bid of over $25k on that same item, which went through, and a test bid of a few cents on a different item.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c0rbin9 wrote:

Thank you for that. Interesting to see Ebay's explanation for why they put a freeze on my account. It makes it seem like I was bidding a lot, but my only bids before placing my final bid was a single bid of over $25k on that same item, which went through, and a test bid of a few cents on a different item.

eBay responded and sent me a link on how to avoid limits (https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/buying-limits/buying-restrictions?id=4012).

Does any of this apply to you? I assume you already had a credit card on file with eBay? If not, I will start displaying a warning to users who schedule bids valued over 15,000.
c0rbin9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
eBay responded and sent me a link on how to avoid limits (ebay.com/help/buying/buying-limits/buying-restrictions?id=4012).

Does any of this apply to you? I assume you already had a credit card on file with eBay? If not, I will start displaying a warning to users who schedule bids valued over 15,000.

Yes, I had a valid credit card on file. I had also just synced up my bank account at eBay's prompting. The bank account sync was a little weird as the eBay site was showing it was validated, but the small deposits didn't appear in my bank account until days later (after the auction had ended).

Regarding eBay's limits, the second item might apply: "You've suddenly and significantly increased your bidding or buying activity."

If this is the case I was very unlucky though, because the bidding limit just so happened to trigger on the 4th (important) bid I made for the car, rather than the three others I had submitted in the previous days (one of which was on the car and over $25k).

Prior to this, I hadn't bid on anything on eBay in years, even though my account has/had been active since 2006 (I did buy it now and make offers on a few items, just didn't bid.)
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly at the end of the Ebay article they state:

Quote:
If you receive a restriction, you'll also receive an email explaining why it was applied, and what you need to do to have it removed.

Did you receive such an email ? No-one else, that has received this type of error, has ever mentioned that they have.
c0rbin9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I didn't, but as far as I know my account was never "restricted" as such. I'm assuming the extra verification that I was asked to do (and which presumably would have worked fine if I had time to go through the steps) is different from an actual restriction placed on my account.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.