Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

eBay issue tonight

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: eBay issue tonight Reply with quote

It looks like eBay had an issue tonight between 8pm PDT and 9pm PDT.

External monitoring sites seem to confirm this. Gixen was getting "503 service unavailable" responses from eBay servers during this time.

Both main and mirror servers were affected as issue was on eBay's side.

It also looks like some users' authorizations were abruptly invalidated, so some users were getting "INVALID AUTHORIZATION" status messages.

My apology to affected users, there was nothing Gixen could have done about this.
Barrelhouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, Mario!

Are you aware of what the specific issue might have been, and if there is anything to prevent it from blocking Gixen again? Or is it just something we're going to have to live with whenever the issue resurfaces?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, except that it was an eBay issue. This is very rare - I don't even remember last time when this happened. There is nothing on Gixen's side that can be done to prevent this.
Dylan79

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Outage Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, I wondered what happened as I missed an item that was way under my snipe.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Outage

Ey3388

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea eBay was down so it wasn’t about Gixen at all. I tried to go in to place a manual bid was obviously cannot load the site. I wonder if eBay will re-do those affected items because the final prices were way lower than what they should have gone for as no one could bid.
underbridge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: eBay outage Reply with quote

I thought it was odd that I didn't get the usual "You've won the auction" email from eBay.
Luckily my initial bid won - the snipe was just in case anyone bid against me.
MoonRocket

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you for the clarification.
At underbridge's reply: Is it possible and/or recommended to schedule a snipe and bid manually at the same time, even from a secondary eBay account?
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is certainly not recommended to bid from two different Ebay accounts, because that is very likely to inflate the auction price.

It's also counter productive to place a manual bid at or above your snipe amount, there is no point in sniping in such a case and Ebay would block the snipe if it's less than or equal to an existing bid from the same Ebay account anyway.

There are however still a few reasons why people might want to place low initial bids on an auction prior to scheduling a snipe. These include removing an existing Buy It Now option, especially if it's at a price above what you are willing to pay, or just to check that you are not blocked from bidding on that auction particularly if you've had issues with that seller before or been blocked from bidding on similar items in the past.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.